Author Topic: Students walk out over LACK of discipline in school  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Lauri

Students walk out over LACK of discipline in school
« on: March 07, 2008, 09:06:37 AM »

Video: VIDEO: Middle School Students Stage Walkout

Students Protesting Violence On Campus Stage Walkout

POSTED: 7:53 am PST March 6, 2008
UPDATED: 9:42 am PST March 6, 2008

MARYSVILLE, Wash. -- More than 100 students staged a walkout at a Marysville middle school Wednesday, protesting what they said are too many fights and a lack of discipline at the school.

The students left class at Totem Middle School, saying the school isn't doing enough to stop violence on campus.

"A lot of kids are scared to come to school. They're scared they're going to get beat up or something bad is going to happen," said Brittany Estes, an eighth-grader who helped organize the protest. "It's really scary to be here and we didn't know how to fix anything, so we decided to do this."

School officials said they will try to figure out what's causing the increase in violence.

"(We) don't know, at this point, but we're certainly looking at more than the data to try to figure out why this might be happening," said Gail Miller with the Marysville School District.

School officials sent out a letter telling parents about the walkout and how they plan to address the issues. They said they will hold weekly breakfast meetings with the students to discuss their concerns.

They also said they are planning to discipline those who walked out. 

http://www.kirotv.com/news/15512356/detail.html?rss=sea&psp=news

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Re: Students walk out over LACK of discipline in school
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 10:01:33 AM »

excellent post, Lauri.  it compliments the homeschooling thread rather nicely.

how perfectly bureaucratic is that?  they are going to look at "the data" to try to determine the cause of the violence. :whatever:
after that, they are going to have breakfast meetings.  and then, by god, they are going to discipline the students that walked out of class for fear of their safety.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 10:14:01 AM »

how perfectly bureaucratic is that?  they are going to look at "the data" to try to determine the cause of the violence. :whatever:
after that, they are going to have breakfast meetings.  and then, by god, they are going to discipline the students that walked out of class for fear of their safety.

what i found interesting is, they will discipline the kids who walked out in protest - but not the kids causing violence in the school.

and most kids around here do NOT get disciplined for walking out; they get praised from their teachers..

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 10:16:43 AM »
Oh FFS!!! I say it's time to do away with govt backed education. Ugh.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Lauri

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 10:21:16 AM »
Oh FFS!!! I say it's time to do away with govt backed education. Ugh.

it has been a true failure, as far as experiments go.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 10:52:54 AM »

what i found interesting is, they will discipline the kids who walked out in protest - but not the kids causing violence in the school.

and most kids around here do NOT get disciplined for walking out; they get praised from their teachers..

that tells you what they consider an actual "problem" to be . . . ya know?  the comparison to a jail break really can't be dismissed.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 12:50:32 PM »

that tells you what they consider an actual "problem" to be . . . ya know?  the comparison to a jail break really can't be dismissed.

Marysville, where this took place, had a teacher walk out a few years ago that made national headlines. The teachers kept the kids out of school for 50something days. It wreaked havoc on the local economy and the strike was just absurd; on the news the picketing teachers were saying, "this is all for the kids!"

and then when the public found out about the contract negotiations, it was an outrage all over again. they all got raises, the kids got nothing and when summer rolled around, those kids were still in school and the teachers were bitching about not getting overtime pay!

but the union has the states by the cojones. there isnt a damn thing we can do about it.