Author Topic: cat-in-hat primitive protests against cigarette taxes  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Zeus

Re: cat-in-hat primitive protests against cigarette taxes
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2009, 05:13:32 PM »
There was a piece in yesterday's New York Post how, in Manhattan, a pack of smokes will set you back an official portrait of Alexander Hamilton.  One pack.

Yep and about 80% of that is taxes. Right now in Texas about 70%  of the price of a pack of smokes is taxes.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Lisa

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2009, 08:30:57 PM »
horrendously expensive 20 years ago ?

20 years ago you could walk into a Stop n' Go, buy a six-pack and a pack of smokes, pay with a 5 dollar bill
and get back change.  Here in Texas anyway.

LOL, well, I guess it was different in Ohio; they were more expensive than that (although certainly cheaper than they are today, no question). Then again, when you're a broke college student, EVERYTHING seems horrendously expensive. I guess it's all in the perspective.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2009, 08:39:07 PM »
Maybe they should raise all taxes by 2000%

just to be fair?

Take a tax poll - those who don't pay 2000% increase in taxes are NOT patriotic by their co-fuhrer biden's mark.  Just like the fuhrer's cabinet picks.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2009, 08:40:25 PM »
horrendously expensive 20 years ago ?

20 years ago you could walk into a Stop n' Go, buy a six-pack and a pack of smokes, pay with a 5 dollar bill
and get back change.  Here in Texas anyway.

When I was in my teens, you could buy them from a vending machine for 50 cents a pack.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2009, 08:40:44 PM »
Yep and about 80% of that is taxes. Right now in Texas about 70%  of the price of a pack of smokes is taxes.

Our esteemed colleague NateRiver posted somewhere here about the taxes on things; the total taxes, not just the obvious ones, and apparently 81% of the cost of cigarettes is in taxes, the other 19% in raw materials and labor.

http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,22047.0.html

edited to include link; it's very illuminating
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 08:43:40 PM by franksolich »
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Servonaut

• In Memoriam
  • "Memento Mori"
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2009, 02:54:28 PM »
LOL, well, I guess it was different in Ohio; they were more expensive than that (although certainly cheaper than they are today, no question). Then again, when you're a broke college student, EVERYTHING seems horrendously expensive. I guess it's all in the perspective.

Correct, 20 years ago I was in the 2nd year of the job I have now.  Back then I was working 9 departing flights in an 8 hour
shift making $6.50 an hour.  Today I work around 60 flights a shift, and the paycheck has gone up quite a bit too.  :-)