Author Topic: In 1973 I finished high school, passed my test for union training.  (Read 531 times)

Offline CC27

Texaswitchy (1,424 posts)

In 1973 I finished high school, passed my test for union training.

Had the whole summer off and spent it in Austin.

It was a great summer.

My parents gave me the money they saved for college and said go to Austin and enjoy the summer.

I did.

1973 abortion became legal.

Things were looking up.

Texas was run by Democrats.

Now it is 2021 and I am glad I am not that same age now.

The future was there, just grab it.

I did.

Now we have this mess to deal with.

I would like to be that kid back in 1973 again.

Austin was a blast back then.
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215830700

Who cares.

Offline SVPete

Re: In 1973 I finished high school, passed my test for union training.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 11:46:47 AM »
FIFY:

We were hooking up like bunnies.

If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Muddling 2

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 12:31:14 PM »
I remember some years ago, in the WSJ Editorial Page, that it was pointed out (by Paul Gigot IIRC) that with the USSC rulings in Griswold and Roe, the full responsibility for birth control fell on women.  Men no longer felt any responsibility for exercising any degree of constraint or self-control as the women had full access to birth control to prevent unwanted pregnancy and abortion services to end an unplanned pregnancy.    The consequences of men abandoning any sense of responsibility or obligation to the consequences of their "hook ups" has been........sub-optimal......to say the least.
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Muddling 2

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 12:32:25 PM »
And, WRT to Union Training, those private sector jobs have been largely off-shored to countries where the environmental and worker-safety laws are, shall we say, less robust?
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
Robert A. Heinlein

Offline SVPete

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 02:18:11 PM »
I remember some years ago, in the WSJ Editorial Page, that it was pointed out (by Paul Gigot IIRC) that with the USSC rulings in Griswold and Roe, the full responsibility for birth control fell on women.  Men no longer felt any responsibility for exercising any degree of constraint or self-control as the women had full access to birth control to prevent unwanted pregnancy and abortion services to end an unplanned pregnancy.    The consequences of men abandoning any sense of responsibility or obligation to the consequences of their "hook ups" has been........sub-optimal......to say the least.

Back in her teen years, one of my daughters participated in multiple pickets outside a local PP. The group was ultra-careful not to violate laws. Anyway, I used to joke with her about the days' "finger count", the times someone driving by gave the group the finger. Virtually all who did so were male. I doubt many gave a fig for women's supposed "right" to kill their babies, just that abortion enabled promiscuity without consequences.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2021, 02:54:53 PM »
Yea, when I finished HS the main thrills I got were a result of being able to get an abortion, spending all my college money, and caring which political party ran the State I lived in.   :whatever:

What a screwed up set of priorities. And she’s only become increasingly immature since then.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 03:27:04 PM »
FIFY:

We were hooking up like bunnies.

I feel attacked.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2021, 03:42:04 PM »
Yea, when I finished HS the main thrills I got were a result of being able to get an abortion, spending all my college money, and caring which political party ran the State I lived in.   :whatever:

What a screwed up set of priorities. And she’s only become increasingly immature since then.

Because I wasn't still of legal drinking age in my era upon high school graduation, was looking forward to college and meeting the hot women at my campus.

In my nearly 30 years of employment, have never been a member of a union nor have I ever worked in an industry that there even is one.

This one will perturb the left based on the way they fawn over unions:

“In 2020, the percent of wage and salary workers who were members of unions—the union membership rate—was 10.8 percent."

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/unions-numbers-2021-edition#:~:text=Overall%2C%20union%20membership%20increased%20on,of%20Labor%20Statistics%20reported%20today.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2021, 05:17:49 PM »

Things were looking up.
If the ability to legally kill unborn children is an uplifting influence in your life, I would hate to see what brings you down.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020