Author Topic: New COVID variant detected in South Africa, most mutated variant so far  (Read 528 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215797456

Oh, you mean there’s more?  Does the vaccination work on this one?  If not … how’s your passport work?

left-of-center2012
New COVID variant detected in South Africa, most mutated variant so far

A new coronavirus variant, C.1.2, has been detected in South Africa and a number of other countries, with concerns that it could be more infectious and evade vaccines, according to a new preprint study by South Africa's National Institute for Communicable Diseases and the KwaZulu-Natal Research Innovation and Sequencing Platform.

Scientists first detected C.1.2 in May 2021, finding that it was descended from C.1, which scientists found surprising as C.1 had last been detected in January. The new variant has "mutated substantially" compared to C.1 and is more mutations away from the original virus detected in Wuhan than any other Variant of Concern (VOC) or Variant of Interest (VOI) detected so far worldwide.

The study also found that the C.1.2 lineage has a mutation rate of about 41.8 mutations per year, which is nearly twice as fast as the current global mutation rate of the other variants.

While first detected in South Africa, C.1.2 has since been found in England, China, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Mauritius, New Zealand, Portugal and Switzerland.

https://www.jpost.com/health-science/new-covid-variant-detected-in-south-africa-most-mutated-variant-so-far-678011

We’re all going to die. Maybe from COVID, maybe from something else. But there’s one thing you can count on, I’m not getting a vaccine passport. Vaccinated or not.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline DLR Pyro

Re: New COVID variant detected in South Africa, most mutated variant so far
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 06:50:18 PM »
the left is gleeful because it means they can force mail in only ballots in the 2022 mid term elections
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Online Delmar

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 07:26:42 PM »
Star Member COL Mustard (2,075 posts)
3. JFC.

Will this pandemic ever end?

Thanks, TFG. And by that I really mean 🖕

If you want to thank somebody, you can thank China.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 09:08:15 PM »
DUmpTards:  Bush and Trump's fault.   Obama and Biden are victims of the anti-FarLeft.  Kiss the democrat ring and bend a knee.

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 01:20:56 PM »
Star Member COL Mustard (2,075 posts)
3. JFC.

Will this pandemic ever end?

When is stops being usable political capitol. 

How many diseases tear through parts of Africa in any given year, but we hear nothing about them?  How many that are nonexistent in Western countries thanks to sanitation, healthcare and nutrition that much of the continent has no access to, for a wide variety of reasons?  This one comes up to feed the fear machine.
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 02:27:32 PM »
HIV patient had COVID for over 7 months, infection mutated over 30 times

Of the mutations found in the patient, both the UK and South African variants were noted to be present at one point or another throughout the length of the woman's infection.

An HIV-positive woman with a persistent coronavirus infection that lasted 216 days straight had the virus mutate within her over 30 times, according to new research.

https://m.jpost.com/health-science/hiv-patient-had-covid-for-over-7-months-infection-mutated-over-30-times-670398

Time to lock down HIV vulnerable communities and places of business and demand mandatory treatments.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Aristotelian

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 09:11:51 AM »
Simple fact - if we weren't being constantly given new scary statistics on Covid we wouldn't even know it exists.

Yes it's a real disease; yes it's nasty; but it really isn't an on-going threat to the universe. What is a threat, is the vast side-effects which are starting to tear through our communities from the ludicrous over-reaction.

I was talking to a Priest I know quite well, he mentioned that he's been asked a few times about how many Covid funerals he's had to take. He was asked to take one across the whole pandemic; he was unable to take that funeral because he was already booked to take another funeral at the same time...that funeral was for somebody whose medical treatment was disrupted by the lock-down and who would probably have been alive in other circumstances.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2021, 09:17:36 AM »
Simple fact - if we weren't being constantly given new scary statistics on Covid we wouldn't even know it exists.

Yes it's a real disease; yes it's nasty; but it really isn't an on-going threat to the universe. What is a threat, is the vast side-effects which are starting to tear through our communities from the ludicrous over-reaction.

I was talking to a Priest I know quite well, he mentioned that he's been asked a few times about how many Covid funerals he's had to take. He was asked to take one across the whole pandemic; he was unable to take that funeral because he was already booked to take another funeral at the same time...that funeral was for somebody whose medical treatment was disrupted by the lock-down and who would probably have been alive in other circumstances.

Well said.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen