Author Topic: Worried, but I have to be gentle and careful... Bouncy  (Read 1372 times)

Online CC27

Worried, but I have to be gentle and careful... Bouncy
« on: August 27, 2021, 10:47:20 AM »
Wounded Bear (46,008 posts)

Worried, but I have to be gentle and careful...

My daughter has not got vaxxed. I suspected as much, but it was confirmed last night in a text exchange that she hasn't. My two grandsons are under 12 now and going back to school, of course. She thinks she may have had covid from a 'cold' from Jan of 2020 that 'had covid symptoms' in her words.

She is afraid of side effects of the vax and asked me about my experience. I was honest while trying not to be alarmist. My after effects were mild and I said so. She has apparently heard some horror stories, from what she calls 'personal friends' that I suspect are internet 'friends.'

I told her that I recommended the shots, even if she had covid before and even threw in a 'for the kids' comment, because yeah that matters. It all started when she asked me about my booster shot and I assured her that I would get it as soon as I am eligible and the VA calls me with a schedule to do so.

I hope I pushed her (gently) in the direction of getting the shots, but I don't know. She lives in California and I'm in Washington, so I don't see her every day. If I deluge her with texts and FB posts she would probably just block me. Clock is ticking and the virus is out there...

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215787544

She should run not walk away from a weirdo like you DUmmie.

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
Re: Worried, but I have to be gentle and careful... Bouncy
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 11:07:01 AM »
She should run not walk away from a weirdo like you DUmmie.

Other than as a signal of obedience to the government, can someone explain to me the benefit of the vaccine?
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
  • Married female & proud VRWC member :)
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 11:22:00 AM »
The daughter should text her dad and thank him for his concern ...

But, tell him she is a big girl & is able to make her own life decisions for herself and her family.

Please pray for our country in these turbulent times ...
It really is the best in the world & I can't stand the thought of losing it.

Freedom, Truth, and the USA!!! 
~ American By Choice (aka ABC-2)

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 11:29:45 AM »
The daughter should text her dad and thank him for his concern ...

But, tell him she is a big girl & is able to make her own life decisions for herself and her family.

And/or, with a strong preference for 'or,' she should tell him to go take a long vacation to Lake ****offanddie.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
  • Married female & proud VRWC member :)
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 11:37:42 AM »
     And/or, with a strong preference for 'or,' she should tell him to go take a long vacation to Lake ****offanddie.

Ha! Ha!   :-)

I like your "or" as well.
Please pray for our country in these turbulent times ...
It really is the best in the world & I can't stand the thought of losing it.

Freedom, Truth, and the USA!!! 
~ American By Choice (aka ABC-2)

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 11:43:52 AM »
I was on a telcon today with a colleague.  He already had the COVID and it sidelined him for 2 days.  Not even as bad as the flu.

This OMG OMG OMG OMG THE COVID WILL KILL MY GRANDKIDS alarmist crap is just another data point proving liberalism is a mental disease.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 11:49:29 AM »
I was on a telcon today with a colleague.  He already had the COVID and it sidelined him for 2 days.  Not even as bad as the flu.

This OMG OMG OMG OMG THE COVID WILL KILL MY GRANDKIDS alarmist crap is just another data point proving liberalism is a mental disease.

Eggzactly - COVID remains, in my opinion, a novel and occasionally bad cold that occasionally kills the sick and elderly. In other words, it's a new flu. I have had enough of the leftist strategy of exploiting it for political gain. They're not even GOOD at it: "We're all going to die! Wanna die? Don't wear a mask." meh. Stay home and watch TV, DUmmies. The rest of us want to live.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

Offline SVPete

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2021, 11:50:48 AM »
Covid put me in the hospital for 13 days. My wife suffered its effects at home for several weeks, as did I (after release from the hospital). Like most things in life, "results will vary". Covid's ~4% hospitalization rate is nothing to sneeze at.

The bottom line - legally and in my personal opinion - is that the parents of the children are adults and have the right to make healthcare decisions for their family. If one looks at the cases and deaths data for California on Worldometers one can see that, contrary to MSM and gooberment hype, at present California is a pretty low risk environment. That the DUmmie OP and I made different risk-benefit decisions than those parents means nothing.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 11:53:57 AM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2021, 12:04:31 PM »
      Other than as a signal of obedience to the government, can someone explain to me the benefit of the vaccine?

Nope.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline thundley4

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2021, 04:45:59 PM »
and even threw in a 'for the kids' comment,

That's where we are with the mask bullshit right now. Wear masks to protect the children that can't be vaccinated. Don't worry folks, there is a new "mutation" coming soon.

This one will hit children harder than anyone, but it will be spread by adults.

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2021, 10:56:02 AM »
      can someone explain to me the benefit of the vaccine?

Engage SVP here. I've found his sources trustworthy and his analysis overall to be non-biased. Most other public sources and news outlets are either lying or exaggerating things (both sides of this argument).
Catching covid may be uneventful, and it could be quite severe; response to it seems to span the entire scale so you really don't know which one you will be. the vaccinations dramatically reduce risk and symptoms in most cases. I was more concerned with the lack of trustworthy data for a long time, and I resisted because EVERYONE was being dishonest about it leading to me naturally refusing advice from known liars. After considerable reading and advice from my doc, I settled on taking the single-shot method based on a best guess at risk/reward scales. And the shot did make me sick for a day or two, moderate flu-like symptoms and miserable fever. I would still do it again knowing the potential risk of not getting it.
I'm not trying to sell it, and I very strongly believe in the individuals right to make their own medical decisions, just answering your question.
Personally, I consider the politicizing of this entire thing to be criminal as it makes logical people very hesitant to take advice from obviously politically infected bureaucracies. I mean, the government hasn't been outright lying to us on every other front, have they? they should all be ashamed of what they have done

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2021, 12:19:45 PM »
That's where we are with the mask bullshit right now. Wear masks to protect the children that can't be vaccinated. Don't worry folks, there is a new "mutation" coming soon.

This one will hit children harder than anyone, but it will be spread by adults.

Masks don't work.

Particle size of covid: Approximately 1 micron.

Mask filtering capability: 6 to 10 microns.

Science.
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2021, 12:51:50 PM »

Masks don't work.

Particle size of covid: Approximately 1 micron.

Mask filtering capability: 6 to 10 microns.

Science.

You know that, I know that. Hell even Fauci admitted it. But masks are now a sign of subservience demanded by Democrats.

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2021, 12:54:30 PM »
I am fully vaxxed (Moderna jab, twice,) and truly enjoyed 4.5 months of complete, maskless freedom. But now, with Delta, I'm back to masking. Talked to someone DH used to work with, and she said they have had "several" breakthrough cases among the fully vaxxed at the workplace, so there's that.

Biggest problem I have with the mask is that I'm afraid I'll be mistaken for a Democrat. Or, worse, a DUpipo.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2021, 12:58:20 PM »
I am fully vaxxed (Moderna jab, twice,) and truly enjoyed 4.5 months of complete, maskless freedom. But now, with Delta, I'm back to masking. Talked to someone DH used to work with, and she said they have had "several" breakthrough cases among the fully vaxxed at the workplace, so there's that.

Biggest problem I have with the mask is that I'm afraid I'll be mistaken for a Democrat. Or, worse, a DUpipo.

Illinois is back to mandatory masks for most places for most places for everyone. They want more people to be vaccinated. 

Hello!! Telling vaccinated people they have to wear masks is not the way to convince unvaccinated people to get vaccinated.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2021, 01:27:05 PM »
Someone over there posted a study from Israel saying natural immunity was better than vaccination and the top of most of their heads blew off.

What happened to trust the science?

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline thundley4

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2021, 01:43:14 PM »
Someone over there posted a study from Israel saying natural immunity was better than vaccination and the top of most of their heads blew off.

What happened to trust the science?

KC

That is one of the big red flags about this whole DemPlannedDemic: from the very beginning they downplayed  "survivor immunity", almost like it was non-existent. Instead they keep pushing for the "vaccine" that isn't a vaccine.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2021, 02:36:33 PM »
No, all three Covid vaccines (not "the" vaccine) in use in the US are vaccines. They don't use inactivated/dead virus technology, but then neither does the tetanus vaccine (because tetanus is not caused by a virus). A vaccine "teaches" a recipient's immune system to recognize and produce antibodies against the target. All three Covid vaccines in use in the US do that.

Here is the FDA letter about BioNTech and Pfizer receiving biologics license (= full FDA approval) for their vaccine, https://www.fda.gov/media/151710/download . Note, among other details, that the FDA calls it a "vaccine". If you really want, I could find FDA news releases regarding the Moderna and J&J vaccines receiving Emergency Use Authorization and show that those also are referred to as vaccines.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Kc25

• **** your feelings.
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2021, 04:21:39 PM »
I *WAS* (I say was because now they're saying we need a booster)... fully vaxed. I got the Pfizer early on because I'm a nurse and teach nursing and knew it was a matter of time before sites required it to enter. All the shots the Army gave me, I shrugged and figured wth..
I had zero side effects, I can't even say I had a sore arm for more than the next day.

I dislike government mandates. But, if a business wishes to require vax to enter, that's their choice (or should be), and individuals can choose to give them their business or not.

To me, the vax isn't unsafe, as in it will cause multitudes to drop dead...but based off Israel's results it isn't as effective as touted either.

So it boils down to individual choice.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2021, 04:31:33 PM »
I *WAS* (I say was because now they're saying we need a booster)... fully vaxed. I got the Pfizer early on because I'm a nurse and teach nursing and knew it was a matter of time before sites required it to enter. All the shots the Army gave me, I shrugged and figured wth..
I had zero side effects, I can't even say I had a sore arm for more than the next day.

I dislike government mandates. But, if a business wishes to require vax to enter, that's their choice (or should be), and individuals can choose to give them their business or not.

To me, the vax isn't unsafe, as in it will cause multitudes to drop dead...but based off Israel's results it isn't as effective as touted either.

So it boils down to individual choice.

Agreed completely on the personal choice aspect.  No one told me to get vaccinated, but I did as soon as eligible. Consulted my Dr. and she said there was no concern.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline thundley4

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2021, 04:34:28 PM »

Only problem with that...

Biden urges employers to require Covid vaccination
The president’s call for schools and business to require vaccination comes amid stiff resistance by some Republican governors and lawmakers.
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/08/23/covid-vaccine-mandate-biden-506609

Battenfeld: Biden administration taking cancel culture to new extremes with Facebook crackdown
https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/07/16/battenfeld-biden-administration-taking-cancel-culture-to-new-extremes-with-facebook-crackdown/

When corporations are regulated by the government, it's in their best interest to OBEY the government. It's not unconstitutional for Facebook or Twitter to silence voices they disagree with.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2021, 05:22:25 PM »
Ta-da.

comment 4218
https://conservativecave.com/cave/index.php?topic=81827.4200

Why am I reminded of Jolly Roger who doesn't appear all that jolly?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Kc25

• **** your feelings.
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2021, 05:54:22 PM »
Only problem with that...
 https://www.politico.com/news/2021/08/23/covid-vaccine-mandate-biden-506609
 https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/07/16/battenfeld-biden-administration-taking-cancel-culture-to-new-extremes-with-facebook-crackdown/

When corporations are regulated by the government, it's in their best interest to OBEY the government. It's not unconstitutional for Facebook or Twitter to silence voices they disagree with.

And that's another issue. That's a government mandate in disguise

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2021, 05:55:16 PM »

I take issue with it. They were Ok with being classified as "essential", and with that should come qualifiers. otherwise, they can close their doors and lose everything like the rest of small business America.
I shouldn't have to comply with the whims of a mayor or governor in order to get food or medical care of my choosing.

Offline Kc25

• **** your feelings.
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2021, 06:16:15 PM »
I take issue with it. They were Ok with being classified as "essential", and with that should come qualifiers. otherwise, they can close their doors and lose everything like the rest of small business America.
I shouldn't have to comply with the whims of a mayor or governor in order to get food or medical care of my choosing.

The whole essential thing is another issue altogether.

BUT any business that says (on their own) all customers  must be vaxed.. that's their choice. They have the right(should) to refuse service to anyone. The Big problem really is that we have allowed carve outs for so many "special classes."