Author Topic: State Dept. Hit By Cyber Attack; "Serious Breach"  (Read 693 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
State Dept. Hit By Cyber Attack; "Serious Breach"
« on: August 22, 2021, 07:04:04 AM »
Just when you thought SecState Blinken had reached penultimate incompetent status (ultimate status is reserved for Asterisk), there's this.

Kinda wondering if Hillary's email server had anything to do with the rating of "D" for "Dipshits" (see below).

The United States Department of State was found to have been a victim of a cyber attack, and alerts surrounding a potential serious breach were made by the Department of Defense Cyber Command.

And while the administration says the breach likely occurred a couple of weeks ago, it is not yet known when it was discovered by officials, according to FOX News.

The State Department's efforts to evacuate U.S. citizens and allies from Afghanistan have not been impacted amid the Taliban's takeover of the region, an unnamed source told FOX.

The breach's extent, suspects, mitigation efforts and risk to further operations has not yet been disclosed.

"The Department takes seriously its responsibility to safeguard its information and continuously takes steps to ensure information is protected," a State Department spokesperson said in a statement to Townhall. "For security reasons, we are not in a position to discuss the nature or scope of any alleged cybersecurity incidents at this time."

Federal law requires governmental agencies to determine whether the cyberattack meets the criteria of a "major incident." The agencies must then inform Congress, within one week, if such criteria has been met.

Earlier this month, a report from the Senate Homeland Security committee gave the State Department a "D" rating for its overall information security due to its ineffectiveness in 4 out of the 5 function areas. This is the lowest possible rating of the federal government's maturity model.

This is a developing story.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/landonmion/2021/08/21/breaking-state-department-hit-by-cyber-attack-notified-of-serious-breach-n2594514
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline thundley4

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Re: State Dept. Hit By Cyber Attack; "Serious Breach"
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 08:18:56 AM »
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 06:58:24 PM »
Hard to say how the SD let's it in.

My guess is the 'notifications' option.  Someone on a government-computer gets notified about something from a pedestrian-type site, because they never went to their personal-page to click-off 'allow notifications'.  The worm walks right in... 

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 09:10:57 AM »
Yes.

Incompetence facilitates vulnerability.

I thought it was vice verse.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 10:35:19 AM »
I thought it was vice verse.

It's a self purpetuating feedback loop...
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 11:30:28 AM »
I remember getting letters from the government explaining how all my personal information used in getting my security clearance was now in the hands of the Chinese and what the government was willing to do to remediate any negative impact I might encounter.

That too was during a Democrat administration.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 07:32:59 PM »
And now the taliban has ALL the records under their control, but our government is somehow trying to convince you they’re going to vet incoming Afghans.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen