Author Topic: Emboldened China Warns Taiwan: 'The Island's Defense Will Collapse..."  (Read 825 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
...and the U.S. military won't come to help.

Uh....if you're Taiwanese and you're in that country, prolly time to GTFO....unless you actually want to defend your country, that is.

Global Times, an organ of the Chinese Communist Party (CPP), has learned a lesson from Old Joe Biden’s Afghanistan catastrophe: Taiwan is in deep trouble, and the Americans won’t help it. In an editorial published Monday, the CCP sent a harsh message to the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP), the ruling party of the Republic of China on the island of Taiwan: “The DPP authorities need to keep a sober head, and the secessionist forces should reserve the ability to wake up from their dreams. From what happened in Afghanistan, they should perceive that once a war breaks out in the Straits, the island’s defense will collapse in hours and the US military won’t come to help.”

I'm sure they're thanking President Asterisk for the memories....

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/robert-spencer/2021/08/16/emboldened-china-warns-taiwan-the-islands-defense-will-collapse-and-the-u-s-military-wont-come-to-help-n1470121
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline thundley4

Re: Emboldened China Warns Taiwan: 'The Island's Defense Will Collapse..."
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 05:08:21 PM »
China got their money's worth when they funneled money to "The Big Guy" through his son.

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 05:12:46 PM »
I think China's biggest deterrent with Taiwan is Japan's nuclear submarine-fleet. 

They're the ones at the poker-table, hiding their face with a hoodie.  No reason to cooperate with Biden's America at this point.  China only has two carriers and is likely 25-years behind Japan in submarine-tech.     

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 07:04:12 PM »
No reason to cooperate with Biden's America at this point. 

^^This is the key point. Asterisk has demonstrated that he is not to be trusted on the world stage. For that reason, I find it difficult to believe that Japan would go to war against China vis a vis Taiwan.

According to this source, Japan has no nuclear submarines. They apparently have diesel-electric subs that use an air-independent propulsion system that allows the boats to stay underwater for weeks, but no nuke boats.

Japan has long had nuclear "allergies" despite having nuclear power (Fukushima), but especially with the earthquake and tidal wave that did a number on that nuke power plant a few years ago, I can imagine an even greater reluctance to go down the nuclear highway.

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/japan/ssn-x.htm

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 10:13:38 AM »
^^This is the key point. Asterisk has demonstrated that he is not to be trusted on the world stage. For that reason, I find it difficult to believe that Japan would go to war against China vis a vis Taiwan.

According to this source, Japan has no nuclear submarines. They apparently have diesel-electric subs that use an air-independent propulsion system that allows the boats to stay underwater for weeks, but no nuke boats.

Japan has long had nuclear "allergies" despite having nuclear power (Fukushima), but especially with the earthquake and tidal wave that did a number on that nuke power plant a few years ago, I can imagine an even greater reluctance to go down the nuclear highway.

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/japan/ssn-x.htm

You're right.  I went back to my original source-article which I've cited a couple times in the past year...

China currently has about 76 submarines, none of them as effective as the Japanese boats, despite 19 of them being nuclear.

I conflated 'nuclear' with 'lithium' over the months since...

https://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htsub/articles/20201115.aspx

But the worry for China about what Japan might do concerning Taiwan is still the thrust.  As for the region, I predict Japan will be leading more like the 'old America', rather than the tepid, hesitating 'new' format.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 11:47:58 AM »
You're right.  I went back to my original source-article which I've cited a couple times in the past year...

China currently has about 76 submarines, none of them as effective as the Japanese boats, despite 19 of them being nuclear.

I conflated 'nuclear' with 'lithium' over the months since...

https://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htsub/articles/20201115.aspx

But the worry for China about what Japan might do concerning Taiwan is still the thrust.  As for the region, I predict Japan will be leading more like the 'old America', rather than the tepid, hesitating 'new' format.

We all know that when a power vacuum surfaces (Asterisk and his incompetent stooges have definitely taken the "we're outta here and we got no plan" tack), somebody will step up to fill that vacuum. Let's hope you're right and it's Japan. I'd also put some cash on the Aussies and Kiwis stepping up if the ChiComs start looking south.

I meant to mention regarding Japan and her nuclear "allergies", that that was the key reason (as I understood it) that Japan would not permit nuclear-powered vessels in her ports. To that end, the last oil-fired U.S. carrier that was home-ported in Japan was the USS Kitty Hawk was the only US carrier they would allow. Dunno if the nuke prohibition is still in place, though...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 11:52:58 AM by Eupher »

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 04:58:12 PM »
It probably is still in-place after they saw the news of that US-sailor starting fires aboard the USS Bonhomme Richard.  -Has a grudge against the Navy, but next time may have a grudge against Japan.