Author Topic: Cosplay from San Diego ComicCon 2019  (Read 763 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Cosplay from San Diego ComicCon 2019
« on: August 07, 2021, 06:47:38 AM »
Yeah, yeah. Not everyone is a geek like me, but when you see the sophistication of the costumes and realize just how much the craft has evolved, it's pretty impressive.

https://youtu.be/NnWcr_MnOzI

One thing that leaped out at me at the 2:23 mark (besides the cute chick) is: her costume is an homage to the artist J. Scott Campbell and his depictions of Mary Jane, the girlfriend of Spider-Man:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=j+scott+campbell+mary+jane&FORM=HDRSC2&PC=EMMX01

JSC has caught a lot of flak over the years for the way he draws female characters. The woke crowd hates him.

The fact the young woman in the video embraces Campbell's style goes to show how feminists don't speak for all women.

BTW - When people bitch about Campbell setting unrealistic body expectations, they neglect the fact he uses his own wife as his subject model.

So: yay, him
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline thundley4

Re: Cosplay from San Diego ComicCon 2019
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2021, 07:02:35 AM »
In that picture, his wife looks like a young and hot Sally Field.   Watching a little of that video, it's easy to surmise that people spend a ton of money on their costumes. Wow.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2021, 07:07:25 AM »
In case no one remembers, nadinbrzezinski used to cover the San Diego comics-book convention for Skins's island.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2021, 07:09:41 AM »
In case no one remembers, nadinbrzezinski used to cover the San Diego comics-book convention for Skins's island.

GODDAMMIT, FRANK! Don't ruin this for me!

According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 07:54:40 AM »

:rofl:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2021, 08:15:15 AM »
Yeah, yeah. Not everyone is a geek like me, but when you see the sophistication of the costumes and realize just how much the craft has evolved, it's pretty impressive.

https://youtu.be/NnWcr_MnOzI

One thing that leaped out at me at the 2:23 mark (besides the cute chick) is: her costume is an homage to the artist J. Scott Campbell and his depictions of Mary Jane, the girlfriend of Spider-Man:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=j+scott+campbell+mary+jane&FORM=HDRSC2&PC=EMMX01

JSC has caught a lot of flak over the years for the way he draws female characters. The woke crowd hates him.

The fact the young woman in the video embraces Campbell's style goes to show how feminists don't speak for all women.

BTW - When people bitch about Campbell setting unrealistic body expectations, they neglect the fact he uses his own wife as his subject model.

So: yay, him

Moderate geek myself, personally, geekdom has become like the Olympics.  I cannot fathom the time, focus, and dedication people put into being good at it.  I appreciate what many of them do, like most of these cosplayers, (that giant Starscream is cool, the Freddy Elmo, not so much), but how they get it all done is beyond me. 

Woke crowd hated comics/sci-fi/fantasy before they found the woke banner.  Feminists complained about Lois Lane just being there to be rescued, they way women were drawn and their costumes, diversity obsessed people complained about too many straight white males and "token" characters.  Too much cowtowing has messed up modern comics, but there's plenty of cheap back issues floating around clearance bins and digital places that are worth reading.
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2021, 09:24:19 AM »
a candid shot of live action reporter Nads on the scene covering all the news that's fit to print

I wonder if she put a "PRESS" placard in the window of her good rig so she could park in no parking spots for the event.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2021, 09:39:28 AM »
If I were to cosplay something it would be the new and improved Boba Fett from season 2 of The Mandalorian....

Going from this....

To this....

So much better than the OT Fett.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe