Author Topic: Could you live without bacon? Bacon may disappear in California  (Read 416 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Star Member hunter (33,397 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215686838

Could you live without bacon? Bacon may disappear in California as pig rules take effect

DES MOINES, Iowa — Thanks to a reworked menu and long hours, Jeannie Kim managed to keep her San Francisco restaurant alive during the coronavirus pandemic.

That makes it all the more frustrating that she fears her breakfast-focused diner could be ruined within months by new rules that could make one of her top menu items – bacon – hard to get in California.

"Our number one seller is bacon, eggs and hash browns," said Kim, who for 15 years has run SAMS American Eatery on the city's busy Market Street. "It could be devastating for us."

At the beginning of next year, California will begin enforcing an animal welfare proposition approved overwhelmingly by voters in 2018 that requires more space for breeding pigs, egg-laying chickens and veal calves. National veal and egg producers are optimistic they can meet the new standards, but only 4% of hog operations now comply with the new rules.

--more--

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/food/2021/08/01/california-bacon-ban-state-enforce-animal-welfare-proposition/5447260001/

Cheap bacon is not a human right.

If all the cheap factory farm pork disappeared from the supermarkets tomorrow the world would be a better place.

:whatever:

Star Member TheBlackAdder (21,333 posts)

15. If you've seen the litteral shit they wallow in, and cross contaminate infections at large farms...

Those pigs are pumped with all kinds of antibiotics to prevent a mass die-off.

You're eating that shit because the meat is rife with it.

---

Having once owned pigs, they require space and separation. Many of these large farms cram in 50-60% of the available space with pigs, so they have to constantly bump into one another just to move around.

:thatsright:

ansible (1,525 posts)

3. WTF is going on with California?

Why does life keep getting worse?

:popcorn:

14. This will make the world a better place.

Raising hogs in factory farms is bad for the workers, bad for natural environment, and bad for our own human spirit.

I've eaten pigs our family has raised, but not here in the 21st century. Growing up we frequently ate animals we'd seen alive. I've also eaten wild pigs friends and family have shot.

I'm not a radical vegan, but I am mostly vegetarian these days in hopes of reducing my environmental footprint.

The new California regulations slightly improve the conditions pigs are raised in, but it's progress.

It's also an opportunity for farmers who are willing to comply with the law.

I often wonder WTF is wrong with Iowa? Nobody wins in a race to the bottom. There's always going to be someone willing to abuse their workers and animals and the environment more than the next guy.

Cheap bacon is not a necessity.

:loser:

Star Member jcgoldie (7,846 posts)

4. Its not going to be a world without bacon

The premise is rather silly. It means that at worst the prices will rise to match the increased cost of supply. So your bacon and eggs cost $5 instead of $3.50 at the same diner... gosh is that too much of a sacrifice for the ethical treatment of animals as an advanced society??

a breakfast now costs about $10.00... lets see how high it gets with Biden's inflation.

jeffreyi (1,399 posts)

6. Too damn bad.

Buy your pork from local, responsible farmers. It can be done. There's a small producer in my area, his animals are treated well, and the meat is excellent and better for you than the factory farmed stuff.

18. So what?

If fewer people eat bacon that's a good thing.

I haven't bought any for the duration of this covid crisis.

Previously I've only bought it when carnivorous family are visiting, maybe once or twice a year.

If people eat less pork because the price is rising that's a *good* thing.

But that's not my "secret" agenda, if anyone accuses me of that.

For me it's all about respecting the animals we eat.

20. First the Democrats came for our guns. Now they want our bacon!

Except it hasn't happened and won't happen.

:bs:

35. The majority of people doing this work are easily abused recent immigrants... many of them undocumented.

They lose their jobs if they complain about anything.

The pork processors shield themselves by using sketchy labor contractors.

If a processing plant gets busted for using undocumented workers the owners know nothing.

I'm fairly certain there are pork processors who have anonymously called ICE on themselves when workers started to organize informally and gather up the courage to complain about worker or food safety issues.

I once worked for a temp agency that specialized in disposable workers.

My worst job from them, maybe my worst job ever, was watching over this huge machine that automatically sorted customer returns. It was so loud I wore foam earplugs I bought myself, even though they were not required. Unfortunately this machine would sometimes jam and barf all the returns out onto the floor. It was my job to run up and down the line unjamming the machine with a long wooden pole and then shove all the barf back onto the input conveyor, preferably without stopping the line. Whenever I did stop the line the supervisor would scold me.

The first few days I assumed the machine was broken and I'd be out of a job as soon as they fixed it. Then I asked a coworker about it and she said they were never going to fix the machine and they'd been hiring guys like me for more than a year.

When I quit the woman at the temp agency told me I'd never find work in that city again but she was full of shit.

Star Member obamanut2012 (20,806 posts)

27. I buy pretty expensive local, humanly raised bacon

Well, the pigs were raised humanely, the bacon is just delicious.

It generally costs $12 (sometimes it's $9 or $10, sometimes $14 or $15).

It cooks up nice and thick and smokey and yummy, with little shrinkage. We buy it at a local greenmarket-type place, with a hipster vibe, but with generally very good prices on produce and eggs and homemade bread products.

The two of us only eat it every Sunday with eggs and a blueberry-lemon biscuit or crumpet, before golf. Bacon is so good, but not healthy, so one or two slices a week only for us. It is, as one of my best friends says, meat candy. I have a lot of sympathy for restaurant owners, but the good stuff is so much better than the cheap stuff, and no hog lagoons or pig cages.

Sympthsical (1,581 posts)

33. Bacon isn't cheap as it is

We're not regular bacon eaters, so not a big deal. We got some a few weeks ago and made BLT's for dinner one night only because it was on sale for $5. Stuff's usually $7 or $8. That is not a cheap breakfast item.

Avocado toast is far cheaper. Wait for a sale, get an avocado for $1 a pop. Boom.

Tarc (9,993 posts)

50. Yea, some parts of the left/progressive spectrum do more harm than good at times

This is one of those times.

Star Member Maru Kitteh (24,835 posts)

57. So, you're thinking that more environmental devastation and increased animal cruelty

are the way to go then? Because bacon?

Star Member Celerity (20,350 posts)

78. Yep, we must maintain pig torture on the outside chance a Rethug OC housewife will miraculously starting voting Blue. The nightmare that was/is Trump didn't sway her, but cheap bacon surely will, once we internally flog those pesky progs and their cray morals on animal cruelty, and allow the hog abuse train to fire up again.

Oink baby, oink!

:mental:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Drafe Hoblin

Re: Could you live without bacon? Bacon may disappear in California
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 09:48:19 AM »
The 'seed' is planted...  DUer's struggling to face a reality that they're responsible for. 

Bacon is one those foods that, if someone tells people that it's essentially unavailable, they're immediately mouth-wateringly hungry for it.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 09:56:27 AM »
Celerity (20,350 posts)

78. Yep, we must maintain pig torture on the outside chance a Rethug OC housewife will miraculously starting voting Blue. The nightmare that was/is Trump didn't sway her, but cheap bacon surely will, once we internally flog those pesky progs and their cray morals on animal cruelty, and allow the hog abuse train to fire up again.

Oink baby, oink!

Conversely, middle-of-the-roaders, independents, and not-batshit-crazy traditional Democrats will be alienated and turn against you.

Remember that democracy thing you keep crying about?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Karin

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 01:51:44 PM »
So your bacon and eggs cost $5 instead of $3.50 at the same diner

When's the last time this DUmmie went out to eat?  1959? 

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 04:31:08 PM »
ansible (1,525 posts)

3. WTF is going on with California?

Why does life keep getting worse?

gee, I don't know... Maybe because the number of registered democrat party voters is almost double the number of registered republican party voters...
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 04:55:17 PM »
I hope the nation's hog farmers refuse to kowtow to California and just sell more at lower prices to the rest of country. Let the farmers in California feed California.

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 05:02:57 PM »

Cheap bacon is not a human right.

Prediction-Post title at DU in 5 years:   Rich Republicans who don't pay taxes can afford bacon, we can't because TRUUUUUUUUMP!