Author Topic: Dummy getting Rosetta Stoned  (Read 1966 times)

Offline zeitgeist

Dummy getting Rosetta Stoned
« on: April 28, 2010, 05:01:20 PM »
I couldn't resist posting this one. Tonight we are having Mexican food and being the dutiful love slave that I am I went to get some of the fixins.  Boggles my mind, Mexican is not in the Ethnic Food Section but Asian is.  Tell me again who it is that is racist?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x8230053

jmondine  (1000+ posts)      Wed Apr-28-10 01:44 AM
Original message
My response to the AZ law: I'm going to learn Spanish
 This will undo a mistake made due to Hispanic prejudice dating all the way back to the 1950's.

I am half Mexican on my mother's side. But because she and my uncles were relatively fair-skinned, my grandparents decided to raise them speaking only English. As a result, I was raised the same. I have always regretted this, and always intended do something about it... eventually.

Well, eventually is now.

Thanks to the Arizona GOP, I will be proudly reclaiming my Latino heritage.

One word as Rodney might say:

Conquistadors !!

In answer to the question "Who is credited with most  of the crimes against humanity on the inhabitants of the New World"

This is a very short thread so I just dragged it on by for a laugh.

nadinbrzezinski  (1000+ posts)        Wed Apr-28-10 01:45 AM
Response to Original message
1. Bienvenida

Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
 DesertFlower  (1000+ posts)      Wed Apr-28-10 01:55 AM

2. great idea. i think we should
 all speak a second or third language.  

WillParkinson  (1000+ posts)        Wed Apr-28-10 02:42 AM
Response to Reply #2
3. Oddly I just posted a question in the Lounge...
 Asking if anyone had ever used Rosetta Stone software and had any opinions on it. I want to learn a second language and if it's good I might be able to pop for it (it is kinda pricey, though).

sabrina 1 (1000+ posts)        Wed Apr-28-10 02:57 AM
4. I just rec'd this OP
 but apparently there are some people here who don't like the idea of you learning to speak Spanish. I worked with some people from S. America and they taught me some Spanish, they asked if I would help some of their friends learn English. We had so much fun.

rabs  (1000+ posts)      Wed Apr-28-10 03:42 AM
5. Go for it; I undid the same mistake

We lived in a little rural community where Spanish-Americans (that's what we were called back then before some bureaucrat invented "hispanics") had lived since the mid-1700s. We grew up speaking Spanish with our grandfolks, who spoke little English.

One day, when I was five, I was sent to the local grade school. To my befuddlement, the Anglo first-grade teacher would hit the palms of our hands with a ruler if she heard us speaking Spanish. So we learned English very quickly and for years after our Spanish-speaking skills withered and practically died.

Until I was at the university and realized that the teacher, who probably meant well, had robbed me of part of my culture. So university studies included Spanish and Latin American Studies. After college, almost 20 years of working and living in South America honed those skills.

So now am fluent in both languages, and in fact we speak Spanish at home out of preference. Can also get along quite well in Portuguese, thanks to the similarities to Spanish.

Buena suerte y bienvenido a nuestro mundo y nuestra cultural que nos han querido robar.

NanceGreggs  (1000+ posts)        Wed Apr-28-10 03:45 AM
6. Well, all I can say is ...
 ... that's a pretty damned fine idea!

It's never too late to transform "eventually" into now - or, as JeffR always says, "Now - it's the new then!"

BlooInBloo  (1000+ posts)        Wed Apr-28-10 03:56 AM
7. :)

Vinca  (1000+ posts)      Wed Apr-28-10 07:50 AM
8. That's a good idea. I always thought it would make sense to learn Spanish.
 I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for something I can listen to in the car.

lunatica  (1000+ posts)        Wed Apr-28-10 08:03 AM
9. It's much easier than English and much more expressive
 It's fun to know languages, even if it's only to get by.

mucifer (1000+ posts)        Wed Apr-28-10 08:10 AM
10. Great idea! I learned Spanish when I was 16yo I volunteered in Mexico and it  
 really helped my Spanish. Now I'm a hospice nurse and I work with many immigrants and undocumented patients because I'm one of the few nurses in the agency that speaks Spanish. The stories that I hear from the families are chilling. I live and work in Chicago and can tell you the fear is national. It's not just in Arizona. And the stories I hear about why people immigrate make me think that a large number of them are really refugees. Much of Mexico these days is a lawless scary place. Unless you are a politician or have lots of money.

Yo hablo muy poquito español myself but the Puerto Ricans always told me I had a Cuban accent. :mental:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline thundley4

Re: Dummy getting Rosetta Stoned
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 05:04:40 PM »
My grandpa came from Sweden.  He refused to teach any of his children to speak Swedish, because they were Americans.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 05:20:17 PM »
But because she and my uncles were relatively fair-skinned, my grandparents decided to raise them speaking only English

Hey Jmondue

People in Spain are white and they speak Spanish. Nuff said.

Offline jukin

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 05:25:45 PM »
I give one of the soooooooooper jeanuses over there about two weeks before they complain how hard Spanish is.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 05:35:23 PM »
I give one of the soooooooooper jeanuses over there about two weeks before they complain how hard Spanish is.

I took it in high school 20 some years ago, and couldn't stand conjugating verbs & stuff like that.  I still remember a lot of the words.

And suck on it DUmmies, I can download Rosetta Stone at work for free, which I may do very soon.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 06:26:38 PM »
Ya know, if you play their arabic audio tapes backwards it sounds like Bob Dylan.

Totally true story.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 07:50:10 PM »
Rosetta Stone costs around $500. I know several people who have bought it in French and Spanish, and not one of them has learned anything worthwhile. I don't know if the program is that bad, or if it gets a bum rap because nearly everyone who buys it thinks it will make learning easy. Learning a new language is about the most difficult thing an adult can do. To me, the Rosetta Stone marketing pitch implying it will be easy, combined with the zero results I've seen, makes the program very suspect.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 08:15:46 PM »
Rosetta Stone costs around $500. I know several people who have bought it in French and Spanish, and not one of them has learned anything worthwhile. I don't know if the program is that bad, or if it gets a bum rap because nearly everyone who buys it thinks it will make learning easy. Learning a new language is about the most difficult thing an adult can do. To me, the Rosetta Stone marketing pitch implying it will be easy, combined with the zero results I've seen, makes the program very suspect.

I took a quick look at ebay for Rosetta Spanish, 108 hits.  I bet the same is true for Craigs and other such venue.  You sir, it appears are correct. 

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 08:27:20 PM »
Rosetta Stone isn't bad for a refresher.  If someone already knows a language but wants to brush up or improve the skill, it is fairly effective at that.  If they want to learn a new language, traditional books and teaching seem better.  I used Rosetta to brush up my Spanish.  It didn't help with German, which I did not know.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 10:38:53 PM »
My grandpa came from Sweden.  He refused to teach any of his children to speak Swedish, because they were Americans.

My mother's parents came from Hungary.  They learned English by going to the movies, and didn't teach Mom Hungarian.  I learned enough to get by for a week-long visit in the '90's while we were stationed in Germany.  I have a working knowledge of Spanish, French and especially German.  The experts claim learning Spanish is the easiest for an English speaker of all foreign languages.  Would expect this to work the other way. 
After struggling with Hungarian, I have tons of respect for the grandparents and a commesurate disdain for all these people who expect the USA to become a bilingual nation.
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 11:56:56 PM »
I think that speaking a second language is a very valuable skill.  I speak french fairly well, I took a semester of german, and I speak a smattering of Spanish.  I'll admit that I took French in high school specifically because everybody told me how valuable Spanish would be living in California  :p  Now I make extra money at work doing translations because nobody else speaks French, but we have several native Spanish speakers.  :cheersmate:

My current goal is to learn some Greek so I can speak to the Greek speaking people at church.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 06:03:16 AM »
Remember the good old days when immigrants were proud to learn English?  Then again that was probably because they were LEGAL immigrants.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Karin

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 07:28:28 AM »
That was a very clever strategy, Celtic.  Good for you!  I admire people who can speak multiple languages.  I studied German for years, through high school and college.  Never got really good at it.  Just not one of my talents.  My X had 5 under his belt. 

But because she and my uncles were relatively fair-skinned, my grandparents decided to raise them speaking only English.

I just can't get past this sentence.  It seems so racist.  What does skin color have to do with anything?  I guess it hearkens back to the time when one might say "she could pass for white."   

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 07:46:48 AM »
Funny thing, I speak a smattering of several languages due to immersion, albeit survival level only.  Basically enough to get a beer, find a bathroom, or start a fight.  Makes like interesting, that's for sure.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 08:11:04 AM »
Funny thing, I speak a smattering of several languages due to immersion, albeit survival level only.  Basically enough to get a beer, find a bathroom, or start a fight.  Makes like interesting, that's for sure.

Aren't those the three most important things? :-)
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 08:15:03 AM »
When I was working in restaurants, most people knew enough Spanish to do their jobs and to curse.  We must have sounded like a bunch of foul-mouthed five-year-olds with our Pidgin Spanglish. :-)

Spanish was an option in high school but were the first classes to fill up.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 08:34:56 AM »
Funny thing, I speak a smattering of several languages due to immersion, albeit survival level only.  Basically enough to get a beer, find a bathroom, or start a fight.  Makes life interesting, that's for sure.

Yep, same here.

Fed, drunk, laid, arrested.

:-)

God, but I hate being retired from active duty!
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 10:59:03 AM »
I took German all through HS and then again in college which, OBVIOUSLY (to a DUmmie), means I'm a Nazi, riiiight???  :-)
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline MarshallLaw

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 11:15:29 AM »
Aren't those the three most important things? :-)

I think he left off picking up chicks.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 11:15:44 AM »
I took German all through HS and then again in college which, OBVIOUSLY (to a DUmmie), means I'm a Nazi, riiiight???  :-)

Took German in HS and college where did the Navy send me?  Puerto Rico, where obviously they speak lots of German.   :banghead:  USAFI Spanish was a great way to learn along with what Sparky and Wasp pointed out above.  Of course at the Black Angus in San Juan the universal language always worked well too, that being green backs and plenty of em.   :rotf:  

Offline MarshallLaw

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 11:17:12 AM »

Nein.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2010, 11:19:58 AM »
Took German in HS and college where did the Navy send me?  Puerto Rico, where obviously they speak lots of German.   :banghead:  USAFI Spanish was a great way to learn along with what Sparky and Wasp pointed out above.  Of course at the Black Angus in San Juan the universal language always worked well too, that being green backs and plenty of em.   :rotf:  

The Black Angus, oh, wow!

:rotf:
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 11:34:26 AM »

I took 2 years of German and 4 years of Russian between high school and college.  I should be a jack-boot wearing officer of the Stasi, right?
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 11:41:13 AM »
I took 2 years of German and 4 years of Russian between high school and college.  I should be a jack-boot wearing officer of the Stasi, right?

ja, naturlich, comrade!  (and where's the umlaut, damnit?)
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 11:45:29 AM »
Yep, same here.

Fed, drunk, laid, arrested.

God, but I hate being retired from active duty!

Ahh, good times, good times...

:cheersmate:

Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.