Author Topic: primitives discuss kidney stones  (Read 960 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss kidney stones
« on: June 10, 2009, 03:03:06 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=317x3479

Oh my.

Manifestor_of_Light  (1000+ posts)      Wed Jun-10-09 04:37 AM
Original message

Anybody had kidney stones?

I have had painful attacks since last June. They happen about once a month. I got an ultrasound diagnosis. I don't have the money to get it treated.

What helps it?

mopinko  (1000+ posts)        Wed Jun-10-09 11:05 AM
Response to Original message

1. low salt and lots of water. 

but you probably knew that. i have a friend who gets them, and she always has her water bottle with her. it does help.

good luck. sucks to not be able to get treatment because of money.

Kidney stones run in franksolich's ancestry; it must be almost genetic.

However, franksolich suffers not from the affliction, and is already long past the age at which many in his family developed them.

Water. 

A wonderful thing, water.

One can't have too much water.

However, since water isn't a chemical pharmaceutical and since welfare doesn't pay the water bill, the primitives probably aren't interested in this preventative.  The primitives want the "free" chemical pharmaceuticals, because by being a burden on the taxpayers, it makes the primitives feel "special."
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: primitives discuss kidney stones
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 03:07:00 PM »
Diet sodas and "fortified", "enriched" drinks contribute to kidney stones.  I used to work a fellow that developed stones in his salivary glands and had to have them cut out.

I usually drink water (or beer).  Not much else.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 03:35:40 PM »
I drink what would amount to about 12 cans of diet coke a day. Should I be worried?

Also, do women pass them with more ease than men? Always wondered that.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 03:39:06 PM »
I drink what would amount to about 12 cans of diet coke a day. Should I be worried?

Also, do women pass them with more ease than men? Always wondered that.

Maybe; it depends upon what else you drink.

If you have a family history of it, inquiring into the dietary habits of those people helps.

I dunno if women pass them easier than men; some can be the size of boulders, almost.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 05:10:55 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=317x3479

Oh my.

Kidney stones run in franksolich's ancestry; it must be almost genetic.

However, franksolich suffers not from the affliction, and is already long past the age at which many in his family developed them.

Water. 

A wonderful thing, water.

One can't have too much water.

However, since water isn't a chemical pharmaceutical and since welfare doesn't pay the water bill, the primitives probably aren't interested in this preventative.  The primitives want the "free" chemical pharmaceuticals, because by being a burden on the taxpayers, it makes the primitives feel "special."
Yep! absolutely! Frank! Water does wonders! I've had them in the past and haven't had an attack in about 10 years. Just hydrate yourself and you can keep them away!
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 05:21:52 PM »
This is one of those interesting DUmp phenomenons - every primitive will make it clear that they hate 'big pharma' and how the pharmaceutical industry has ruined affordable healthcare - but when a perfectly affordable solution to a simple problem is available, they seem to want nothing to do with it.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 07:14:10 PM »
Maybe; it depends upon what else you drink.

If you have a family history of it, inquiring into the dietary habits of those people helps.

I dunno if women pass them easier than men; some can be the size of boulders, almost.

Oh cool, I only have a history of heart disease, heart attacks, diabetes, and strokes in my family, so I'm cool.  :uhsure:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 07:18:03 PM »

Same here, although I stay with caffeine free.  Never had a problem (yet).

I even asked my doctor a few years ago if there was any problem with drinking that much.  He said that he wouldn't recommend it, but it won't cause any harm.  Nothing about kidney stones.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 12:54:51 AM »
It took 10 days to pass my last one. 4 days are the usual.  Every single day hurt like hell.

I only drink water but I did drink wine at night to sooth the pain and try to sleep. When I couldn't stand it anymore I went to the ER. I was given a muscle relaxer. I took 1 pill everyday I was in pain.  They only gave me 10. I was grateful for the relief.

When it finally came out I saved it.  Wanna see a pic ?   :-)

There is no family history in my case.  Lucky me.

My Dr. says it doesn't matter what I eat or drink. You can't stop them from forming but you can try to lessen their growth with medication. For me a simple glass of milk may help. My stones are calcium and I'm needing to increase my daily intake. I chose the natural way.

We shall see. 

The pain associated with some stones is worse than childbirth. Thank God I have a high tolerance for pain.  I feel for those that don't.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 01:58:14 PM »
I had a  bout with kidney stones just over a year ago. Inga made me take some stuff and they've not re-occurred. The biggest one I passed was the size of a 22 caliber bullet. That was fun..... NOT!! That happened a year ago from last February.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »
I had a  bout with kidney stones just over a year ago. Inga made me take some stuff and they've not re-occurred. The biggest one I passed was the size of a 22 caliber bullet. That was fun..... NOT!! That happened a year ago from last February.

Well now, sir, how about having Inga tell us what it was, that did the job?

I'm always curious about non-pharmaceutical means.

Pharmaceuticals have their place, pharmaceuticals can be useful, but they're used overmuch, and so as to do as little harm as possible, one should try the other potential solutions first.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 04:47:03 PM »
Women get them as well but it is not as much of an ordeal passing them. Think of the anatomical differences in the male and female urethra.
Proud Navy Wife and Veteran

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori