Author Topic: The latest "banning" (NYC_SKP)... IdaBriggs  (Read 1965 times)

Offline CC27

The latest "banning" (NYC_SKP)... IdaBriggs
« on: June 05, 2015, 12:55:21 PM »
Star Member IdaBriggs (8,546 posts)

The latest "banning" (NYC_SKP) is an interesting lesson on REPUTATION.

ON EDIT: I accidentally copy/pasted the post in duplicate - my apologies!

NYC_SKP and I are on good terms outside of DU; we met here, extended the relationship to Facebook and have spoken on the phone several times.

He is not a misogynist, a racist or a homophobe. He is a California Democrat, currently supporting Bernie Sanders (not a Republican), and personally has a long history of political activism in favor of causes near and dear to the hearts of most people on this board. His "real life" credentials are excellent.

On DU he has continued his tradition of service by acting as a moderator in a major forum back in "the olden days", then host in half a dozen forums on DU3. His participation over tens of thousands of posts was polite, respectful and courteous enough that his hide level is nearly non-existent. He has regularly made financial donations in support of the site, and is a "recognized" name to many of us.

His banning has the site in an uproar with an all-out near flame war. There is grave dancing by those who found his passion for his preferred candidate annoying, joy from the purely anti-misogynist crowd (many of whom count their "hides" in double digits with multiple time outs due to their rude and borderline abusive posts), and frankly consternation from his friends/other long time posters because if it could happen to him over ONE POST then it could happen to us, too.

Banned. Cut from the club. Not "time out/come back and explain yourself" - BANNED. No chance to clarify what you were thinking, apologize if required, or defend the post.

What is the value of an online reputation using a pseudonym? Especially in a for-profit discussion forum? For him or against him, his reputation is in tatters; he is now an accused misogynist, a stupid over the top rude idiot - a fool who doesn't belong among the "decent folks" on this board --

What value the hundreds of hours he spent here?

I have been a member since 2004. DU has been a part of my life on a near daily basis ever since. I have shared public triumphs (recounting New Hampshire presidential election, American Red Cross during Hurricane Katrina), personal tragedy (death of my father, loss of my beloved dogs, the story of my sister with MS), and the joy of getting pregnant/giving birth/raising my now eight year old twins. In 2012 when I began figuring out the connection between micronutrient deficiency, growth retardation and cerebral palsy, my first public discussion on the topics began here, and when I worked on the dratted paper explaining it all, I talked about that, too.

This site is someplace between a habit and a home. I have a reputation here. What is that worth? In real life my family walked with our newly elected Democratic Representative in a local Memorial Day parade and I am NOT a racist, a misogynist or a homophobe. I am a rabid supporter of civil rights issues, I support legalization of marijuana, but think people who chance losing their children over it are idiots, despise illegal drug use, and am adamant about a strong social safety net.

Am I DEMOCRAT enough for this board? Is my reputation strong enough to survive a mistake or a mistyping or a misunderstanding or a temporary moment of over the top passionate typing? If or when I am banned, and the grave dancing begins (the Woo Wars alone ensure those!), how will I handle the "little death" of that moment? Will the glee of the cruel erase the good memories I have made? Will I question the number of hours I have spent here, reading and responding to "imaginary" people, and wonder why I bothered?

What will my reputation be worth? How will I be remembered? Will I be mourned?

This playpen is run by good people who deservedly receive income from their efforts. I submit that there is a value brought by long term members and that at some point an arbitrary kick to the curb is inappropriate by our hosts. At some point you stop typing or texting and pick up the blasted phone to repair a relationship before it goes off the rails.

If you value it, anyway. That is what you do when you care about people. And yes, with thousands of posters, many of us long term, the phone tree approach might be necessary - the details are not mine to work out - but (to circle back again) NYC_SKP is not the first "long timer" who has been booted; some have been welcomed back, and some have not.

This is an online discussion forum, and the long term rules are still being wrestled with. A good reputation has to have some value.

Doesn't it? Or is this place just a "what have you done for me lately/posters come and posters go" internet site instead of a community?

I post under my real name. I have received death threats (thank goodness not serious ones!) for some of my public stands. I am REAL - and so are the rest of the PEOPLE who post here. And, to be fair, at some point the board itself has a "personality" with a reputation of its own: thoughtful discussion, courteous behavior, insightful views....all provided by quality posters who bring their best to the site on a regular basis.

Long term versus short - a reputation for being a "good" poster either has value or it doesn't. The whisper I hear is "who is next?"

And that is not a good reputation for this place to have.

Another word salad deluxe.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10026783883

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
Re: The latest "banning" (NYC_SKP)... IdaBriggs
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 01:12:53 PM »
Ida,

It's the Internet. Get a real life.
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline CC27

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 01:13:40 PM »
Ida,

It's the Internet. Get a real life.

Isn't ida addicted to pills? Or am i thinking of another DUmmie?

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 01:16:19 PM »
I think Skippy may be the latest example of something that's happened several times before.

Whenever a DUmmy becomes a favorite of normal people, develops a fan club of sorts, is mentioned in a positive light among normal people, his days are numbered at the DUmp.

A couple of times in the past DUmmies have become such favorites they've had ladies here in fawning, squealing admiration, "I just love DUmmy xxx!!", and bingo, they're worm food.

Skippy's alleged intelligence (before a few dozen IQ points were scooped out and splatted into the waste bin by his discount 0bamacare physician) has been remarked upon repeatedly.

Skippy himself repeatedly confessed to being smarter and more successful than anyone at the DUmp.

Jealousy grew to a critical mass, and Skimmer's flunkies pounced at the first opportunity.

The moral of the story is, never compliment a DUmmy if you want to continue enjoying his loony posts.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 01:21:23 PM by GOBUCKS »

Offline SVPete

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 01:18:19 PM »
Actually, CC27, I was able to follow that (does that screw up whatever rep I have here? ... or confirm it?).

That said, WTH is a, "an all-out near flame war"? Is it an all out flame war? or a near flame war.

... his reputation is in tatters; he is now an accused misogynist, a stupid over the top rude idiot - a fool who doesn't belong among the "decent folks" on this board ...

Libs and Progs have been doing that to loads of decent people - conservatives, Christians, Pro-Life people, off-the-D-plantation blacks, off-the-D-rancho Hispanics - for decades. Whatsa matter, IB, don't like the medicine you force on people you hate when it's used on you or your buddies? By others of your Lib and Prog buddies?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 01:23:54 PM »
Cat fight between stupid and vicious.

Response to nashville_brook (Reply #4)

Fri Jun 5, 2015, 10:13 AM

Star Member boston bean (23,027 posts)
8. I will agree, DU is at it's worst, but I presume we have different reasons as to why that is.

For me, I don't think it kind to women on this board to have to put up with misogynistic posting.

It's a common here. Whether someone wants to believe it or not.

There are too many examples to count, yet when pointed out, there is always some reason it is not misogynistic and women are just overreacting. As we see here in this case. The excuses, the defense of it, in my mind puts DU at its worst.

Response to boston bean (Reply #8)

Fri Jun 5, 2015, 11:04 AM

Star Member sabrina 1 (53,903 posts)
71. Women are NOT overreacting, some women are, the majority of women here are

not seeing misogyny in ever little thing. And I do not wish to be characterized as a weak person simply because I am a woman. I have stated this before many times. You represent YOU, not every woman on this site, by a long shot. Speak for yourself when you are interpreting something YOU view as misogynistic.

There was no misogyny in that post, period. And I deeply resent women being used this way for political purposes. Enough of this nonsense. DU has gained a not very good reputation wrt to women's issues over the years due to this kind of overreaction to every perceived slight.

Response to sabrina 1 (Reply #71)

Fri Jun 5, 2015, 11:20 AM

84. I deeply resent you speaking for me. I will speak as a woman. I've never met

a woman who likes to be referred to as a "c*unt"? You? If so, I would assume it is a tiny minority, and I am speaking for the majority.

I will write what I want, and express myself how I want. You have absolutely zero control over that, so stop trying.

Response to boston bean (Reply #84)

Fri Jun 5, 2015, 12:08 PM

132. You have spoken for 'women' and I am stating the fact that you speak ONLY for yourself.

That word was never used by NYC_Skip, and repeating that it was won't make it a fact. THIS is what I am talking about. Now you get personal.

I can read, even though I am a woman thank you, so I do not need ANYONE to interpret what I am reading for me, especially when it is a deliberate attempt to MISINTERPRET what was written.

I will write what I want, but will never falsely accuse someone of something they have not done, even if I don't agree with them politically.

Or as you 'implied' wrt to what I 'like' in this comment. A disgusting personal attack, and then you wonder who so many women here have never been part of the women's forum.

Response to sabrina 1 (Reply #132)

Fri Jun 5, 2015, 12:17 PM

146. Don't tell me who I can and can't speak for.

You said that you weren't one of those weak women, implying many others who take offense are. That is to what I was referring.

So, you were speaking against other women, implying others who don't feel as you do are weak.

Now, again, one more time, stop speaking for me and telling me who and what I can or cannot speak of or about and how I choose to do so. That is all. Thank you very much.

:-)

Response to IdaBriggs (Original post)

Fri Jun 5, 2015, 10:27 AM

Octafish (46,400 posts)
26. Thank you, IdaBriggs.

We don't have time -- and DU can't afford -- to lose the people who made DU into a force for Democracy.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 01:34:38 PM »
What a bunch of ****s.
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 01:44:31 PM »
 :rofl:  Catfight!
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 02:19:00 PM »
Ida, Skippy used words. He used words in a way that some DUmmies considered "clever." He's lucky he was permitted to keep his skin.

You all know the rules.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 05:04:03 PM »
I hope a lot of the DUmmies have their eyes opened about how they are really nothing more than cannon fodder to the upper class libs.
If they can do that to Skippy, what could they do to the run of the mill DUmmie ?

I also enjoy all the examples of how each poster in the thread makes it all about them.

And now for a word from...

Response to boston bean (Reply #84)

Fri Jun 5, 2015, 12:08 PM

132. You have spoken for 'women' and I am stating the fact that you speak ONLY for yourself.

That word was never used by NYC_Skip, and repeating that it was won't make it a fact. THIS is what I am talking about. Now you get personal.

I can read, even though I am a woman thank you, so I do not need ANYONE to interpret what I am reading for me, especially when it is a deliberate attempt to MISINTERPRET what was written.

I will write what I want, but will never falsely accuse someone of something they have not done, even if I don't agree with them politically.

Or as you 'implied' wrt to what I 'like' in this comment. A disgusting personal attack, and then you wonder who so many women here have never been part of the women's forum.

The "C" word alleged to have been used by Skippy is developing a following almost as big as the non existent "hands up don't shoot".

edit+rd
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 05:25:55 PM by obumazombie »
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 05:18:58 PM »
I love this shit. They're all such delicate flowers you're not allowed to say anything, for fear of offending someone or something.
That's where the entire country is heading in my very humble opinion.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 10:11:34 PM »
Response to nashville_brook (Reply #4)
Fri Jun 5, 2015, 10:13 AM

For me, I don't think it kind to women on this board to have to put up with misogynistic posting.
I understand the helpless anger this DUmpette feels.

It's the same way I feel when I hear that newly-mangled jingle, "Ace is the place with the helpful hardware folks."

It's enough to make your skin crawl.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 10:42:44 PM by GOBUCKS »

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 10:37:06 PM »

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 10:55:41 PM »
I understand the helpless anger this DUmpette feels.

It's the same way I feel when I hear that newly-mangled jingle, "Ace is the place with the helpful hardware folks."

It's enough to make your skin crawl.

Chicks in men's locker rooms?  Time for guy reporters to be allowed in female tennis, golf and volleyball locker rooms.  No point in going to WNBA locker rooms since they look just like, and in most cases, uglier than the regular NBA.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2015, 05:48:30 AM »
Total and complete lack of self awareness there.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 07:13:23 AM »
Chicks in men's locker rooms?  Time for guy reporters to be allowed in female tennis, golf and volleyball locker rooms.  No point in going to WNBA locker rooms since they look just like, and in most cases, uglier than the regular NBA.

So ugly, who would want to marry them ?
So ugly they would beat each other like red headed stepchildren if they ever did get "married"...

PHOENIX (AP) — The WNBA's Brittney Griner and Glory Johnson were married in a ceremony in a Phoenix resort.

Johnson posted a photo of the wedding on Instagram, and People magazine showed photographs and an account of the event online.

The magazine said 75 people attended the wedding, which took place on Friday at the Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort.

The wedding came less than a month after the two were arrested on domestic violence-related charges at their home in the Phoenix suburb of Goodyear.

Griner entered into a diversion agreement in municipal court, and all charges will be dismissed if she completes 26 weeks of domestic violence counseling.

"It is never OK for an argument to turn physical," she said in a statement at the time. "
This will never happen again, and I take my relationship and my responsibility as a role model seriously.
I am committed to making positive changes and I plan to use what I have learned to set a good example and help make a difference in the world around me."

Griner plays for the WNBA defending champion Phoenix Mercury, while Johnson plays for the Tulsa Shock.

In the magazine's photos of the wedding, the two are all smiles as Griner places a ring on Johnson's finger.

Johnson wore a gown selected on the TLC series "Say Yes to the Dress."

So it's not all balloons and roses.

full article...

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/wnbas-griner-johnson-married-phoenix-ceremony

edit-g+l
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 09:00:30 AM by obumazombie »
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 08:37:15 AM »
That had to be a, "Holy sh#$!" moment for those Goodyear PD or Maricopa County Sheriff deputies when they walked into the home of two women 5"-10" taller than them!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Karin

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 12:12:18 PM »
"Ace is the place with the helpful hardware folks."
  Oh is that what they're saying?  It just sounded like mumbling.  If I go into a hardware store or Home Depot, I want to deal with a guy. 

Once again, everybody has to have their own personal pan Skippy thread.  They're growing like weeds over there.  Tiresome.  How much can possibly be said?  It's just a banned DUmmie, they're a dime a dozen. 

Offline GOP Congress

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2015, 01:08:46 PM »
Oh, well...

One MUST log out before posting a DU screenshot if one wants to stay hidden...
"The main purpose of the Democrat Party and the Left is to destroy the United States, transform Western Civilization to a tribal-based dystopia, and to ultimately kill all conservatives and non progressives." - Jonah Kyle

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2015, 01:10:14 PM »
If Skip gets banned, does this mean Graham4Anything will be allowed back in?
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2015, 03:19:48 PM »
If Skip gets banned, does this mean Graham4Anything will be allowed back in?

It's probably tough on them to keep track of all the shifts in pretzel logic bans.