Author Topic: Tornadoes devastate South, killing at least 214  (Read 5235 times)

Offline CG6468

Re: Tornadoes devastate South, killing at least 214
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 04:39:45 PM »
That's good news...make sure to let us know when you hear from Rusty.

Remember "Preacher" from milnet? I think he's in AL too....he's an EMS worker.

There was just a news broadcast from Greene County...there are still people missing...  :(

Deb, I'll ask him to post something here. If he's too busy, I'll make an announcement.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 05:47:58 PM »
Prayers for these souls. I have witnessed this stuff first hand too and it is never easy.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 05:52:50 PM by Odin's Hand »
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2011, 06:04:17 PM »
Deb, I'll ask him to post something here. If he's too busy, I'll make an announcement.

Thanks, CG.

I wish we'd hear from Tucker....  :(
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2011, 06:18:01 PM »
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline beefeater

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2011, 06:49:36 PM »
2nd most deadly tornado outbreak since 1932, the worst was 4/3-4/74. That was caused by global cooling, I suppose this one is from Gorebull Climate Scam.

Good luck to those people.
linky

« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 06:54:09 PM by beefeater »
My Old Man was a Chicago Republican until the day he died.

Then he became a democrat.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2011, 07:37:54 PM »
rustybayonet is OK. We didn't have time to talk; he has a neighbor's roof on his roof.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2011, 07:11:58 AM »
rustybayonet is OK. We didn't have time to talk; he has a neighbor's roof on his roof.

Damn, I need to call him. He called a while back, but I didn't get it until it was already too late at night.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline rustybayonet

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2011, 07:51:25 AM »
What an afternoon and night the 27th.  Tornados started about 1-2 in the afternoon just north of us, first Cullman [hit a second time in evening], had one and the weathers guys said that storm was mild compared to what was coming.  And this time they were right!!!!
The big one that hit Tuscaloosa and headed to us was one of about 8 on the ground in the area at the same time.  Our neighbors from Mississippi shared it.  Started on the west side of the state about 1/2 mile in diameter and grew to almost  1 mile across, with and estimated wind of 150-200mph, and it stayed on the ground for 184 miles across Alabama, taking out alot of homes, businesses.  At least two towns are gone . The center passed through Fultondale about 2 1/2 miles south of us, and we could see the edge of it about 1 mile away.  [Since we don't have a basement, we were at the daughters].  We could see 'stuff' flying in the air, when what looked like a 4X8 sheet of plywood went overhead, it was basement time!!!!!  When we finally went back home I thought I had lost shingles from the house, but after looking - nope-part of somebodies roof is on mine.  Pieces of tin roofing, shingles, chunks of wood, pine branches [no pine trees near here], and alot of insulation were all over the neighborhood.  [gave me something to do yesterday, since we didn't have power].Fortunately no injuries or deaths here, but as of last night after we got power back on, [estimated 400,000 still without power]. Last night TV was saying at least 204 deaths in the state so far, haven't heard this morning yet.
Anyway glad it's over------
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 07:55:30 AM by rustybayonet »
yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery - today is a gift- that's why it's called the "present"

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2011, 07:54:07 AM »
I am happy to hear you and yours are all well.   :cheersmate:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2011, 08:27:08 AM »
Thanks for the report, rusty, and let me echo Tots by saying I'm very relieved you and yours are okay, if a little bogged down by debris. Plenty of others weren't so lucky.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline namvet

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2011, 08:36:56 AM »
a gal I know who lives in E Kentucky sent me this

This is where I was today...where I will be tomorrow. 8 confirmed fatalities in this community. Please pray for the victims of the tornadoes.

video

im in the midwest. or tornado alley. maybe they should include the south as well. over the years its been active down there in summer and winter. the twister's ive seen here are probably F-4 or 5

slide show photos. 43

link

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2011, 07:43:25 PM »
So good to hear from you Rusty!!!  :yahoo:

We did some driving around late this afternoon and this evening....subdivision across the road from ours looks like they decided to use "blue tarps" instead of shingles. Just a half a block away....

Paper had a copy of a check from 1989, with a Rainesville AL address on it....found in a yard in South Knox County yesterday morning after the storm. Someone else found a National Geographic magazine in their yard, also with a Rainesville address on it. Not sure how far away Rainesville is, but we're 120 miles northeast of Chattanooga.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline CG6468

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2011, 03:22:33 PM »
Just spoke to Rusty. He estimates - with the semi truck drivers - that it will be years before any semblance of normalcy returns to his area. The truckers said the piles of scrap and rubble are worse than the aftermath of Katrina.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2011, 09:03:20 PM »
Just spoke to Rusty. He estimates - with the semi truck drivers - that it will be years before any semblance of normalcy returns to his area. The truckers said the piles of scrap and rubble are worse than the aftermath of Katrina.

That's what they are saying ...comparing with Katrina..

As if it isn't bad enough over this way and all the way down through AL...if you haven't seen any news regarding Memphis...it's just horrible.

ABC evening news was saying the damage will be worse than Katrina over there too....

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2011, 04:10:24 AM »
That's what they are saying ...comparing with Katrina..

As if it isn't bad enough over this way and all the way down through AL...if you haven't seen any news regarding Memphis...it's just horrible.

ABC evening news was saying the damage will be worse than Katrina over there too....

Anyone wanna bet on if we'll still have people living in FEMA trailers come 2017 in those areas?

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2011, 04:26:04 AM »
I was up in Clayton and Mountain City, GA yesterday where there was far more destruction than I realized.  A huge FEMA billboard was erected with contact info.  I saw a FEMA guy in the Stekoa Creek Trading Post asking to put up signs in their windows.  I wonder if they're getting the calls they thought they would?  It wouldn't surprise me if folks are a bit leery.

Around the lakes a lot of homes and boathouses were tossed into the water.  A house was almost into the southbound lane of 441 in Mountain City with a huge swath of trees down all around it.  There was blessedly only 1 death that I heard about, but more injured.  It's a really small place and this was pretty brutal for them.

My county was spared for the most part.  I think we only had some damage along the border with Rabun County.  

Offline rustybayonet

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2011, 07:02:54 AM »
Thanks to everyone - as stated before, my family and I were extremely lucky--sorry to say many weren't.....

The community, Pleasant Grove, the neighborhood of one of our associate ministers;

The entire community is gone

this video was taken in areas less than three miles from my house, and this is what 2/3 of Alabama counties look like now.  When this 'big' one hit, and stayed on the ground for 184 miles,  it spun off 23 others in the area and that day we had 127 total throughout the state - that's just a indication of how lucky we were.

http://videos.al.com/2011/04/tornado_damage_in_fultondale_a.html

Just two areas, one just to the south of me [Fultondale],and one southwest......
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 07:18:27 AM by rustybayonet »
yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery - today is a gift- that's why it's called the "present"

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2011, 09:12:21 AM »
There are just no capable words to explain the damage those storms did...it takes looking at pictures - which are still not as brutal as viewing the destruction in person.

When seeing the pictures or the videos, it's amazing that more people weren't killed.

I saw pics of Memphis on tv this morning...only thing visible were the rooftops. At least many people had the time, effort and ability to afford to remove many or all of their belongings out of their homes to save them, even though their homes will be total losses.

With tornadoes, there is never time to safe anything other than yourself, family and maybe pets.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2011, 03:53:49 PM »
Rusty just called me. He said, among many other things about the storms, that one of his acquaintances at the Boy Scout troop has a neighbor who walked out into his back yard. He saw a heart on the ground, and he couldn't figure out where it came from. He called Rusty's acquaintance over, and they both walked around and couldn't figure it out.

They dialed 911, the cop came, and they looked up and saw a woman's body impaled on a big tree limb.

The cop just called the coroner, and they took the body and heart away.

He also said they're bringing dumpsters big enough to put a car in.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 03:56:48 PM by CG6468 »

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2011, 02:42:34 PM »
Rusty just called me. He said, among many other things about the storms, that one of his acquaintances at the Boy Scout troop has a neighbor who walked out into his back yard. He saw a heart on the ground, and he couldn't figure out where it came from. He called Rusty's acquaintance over, and they both walked around and couldn't figure it out.

They dialed 911, the cop came, and they looked up and saw a woman's body impaled on a big tree limb.

The cop just called the coroner, and they took the body and heart away.

He also said they're bringing dumpsters big enough to put a car in.

Good God.  :o
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2011, 03:18:46 PM »
Good God.  :o

How horrible!!

Her poor family....they will finally know what happened to her, though I'm not that's a good thing, but at least she was found and they can have a funeral....  :(

Offline CG6468

« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2011, 08:55:48 PM »
How horrible!!

Her poor family....they will finally know what happened to her, though I'm not that's a good thing, but at least she was found and they can have a funeral....  :(

IF she's ever identified. There was no ID on the body, and no one who they talked to knew her. She could have come from miles away.