Author Topic: Christmas Cookies  (Read 6558 times)

Offline Traveshamockery

• Nana to Kyle and Garrett
Christmas Cookies
« on: December 10, 2011, 07:54:31 AM »
Anyone making different ones this year?  Any suggestions other than the normal sugar cookies and chocolate chip cookies? 

Offline zeitgeist

Re: Christmas Cookies
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 08:14:25 AM »
Anyone making different ones this year?  Any suggestions other than the normal sugar cookies and chocolate chip cookies?  

How about Eskimo cookies?  No bake, uses oatmeal, contains chocolate, butter, and powdered sugar.  Kids love 'em and can help make them.

3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon water
3 tablespoons cocoa
2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4-1/3 cup powdered sugar

Directions:
1)Let butter soften to room temperature.
2)Add sugar and mix thoroughly.
3)Add water, cocoa, vanilla and oats.
4)Cover and chill for 2-3 hours.
5)Pour powdered sugar in dish.
6)Roll walnut-sized bits of dough into balls, then roll in powdered sugar.
7)Store cookies in fridge.

Read more: http://baking.food.com/recipe/eskimo-cookies-64199#ixzz1g8o4vaY3

« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 08:16:50 AM by zeitgeist »
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 08:29:17 AM »
these are always good too:

http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/recipes.recipeListing/filter/dianas/recipeID/1416/Recipe.cfm

But a little more difficult to make,  there is even a youtube:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fnRCZXRfYM[/youtube]
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 08:32:54 AM »
Anyone making different ones this year?  Any suggestions other than the normal sugar cookies and chocolate chip cookies? 

Springerle's good, especially the way my mother made them.

Unfortunately, I could never get them to come out the way she did.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 08:43:03 AM »
I don't know if I will make any cookies, but I am making toffee and peppermint bark.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 09:49:52 AM »
My mother always made these:

http://www2.kelloggs.com/RecipeDetail.aspx?id=1416

So far Mrs RC says no way - she is the Grinch

nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 10:17:36 AM »
My friends and I are getting together to back cookies next Saturday.  I'll be bringing cheater gingerbread cookie dough.  Betty Crocker's Gingerbread mix has instructions for cookies, and they turn out really good, kind of like gingersnaps. 

Offline Traveshamockery

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 05:21:12 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions!

I love eskimo cookies!  I found a recipe for butter cookies that you can decorate.  I might try those.

I had a friend who used to make cherry-almond squares.  The batter was really thick and made with a lot of butter.  You would put that batter into a 13x9 pan and mark squares in it with a knife and drop one or two cherries from canned cherry pie mix and bake.  It was so good but I cannot find that recipe anywhere!   

Offline Traveshamockery

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 05:27:22 PM »
I found the recipe.  I will have to make this, too.

http://cookie.betterrecipes.com/cherry-almond-squares.html

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 07:12:24 AM »
We have "standard" Christmas cookies...first Paintbrush cookies.  They are basically a sugar cookie with less baking powder, so they don't spread so much in baking.  We paint them with colored egg yolk before baking.  
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/paintbrush-cookies/71c57baf-3047-4fd7-b03e-f0488e9decc1
We also sprinkle them with extra sugar before baking, or you can skip the painted design, brush with egg white and sprinkle with colored sugar.

The next would be Vanilla Kipferl cookies
http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10052&partNumber=RECIPE_13447
Most recipes talk about tearing up a vanilla bean, we never did that.  I've had vanilla sugar going for years now.  We put a couple vanilla beans in 10 lbs of sugar in a good storage container and let it sit for at least a couple months before first use.  Then we add more sugar as we use it.  I added fresh beans a few years ago, too.

Most years, I make Thumbprint cookies.  
http://www.delish.com/entertaining-ideas/holidays/christmas/thumbprint-cookies
I normally fill them with an expensive, seedless Raspberry or Blackberry jam.

Someone always makes Peanut Blossoms
http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/5191/Peanut%20Butter%20Blossoms.aspx
We often use chocolate stars instead of kisses, it makes a prettier cookie

Another favorite is Rum Balls
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Rum-Balls
I run a couple boxes of vanilla wafers through the food grinder, then follow up with nuts (we usually use almonds because I buy them for the Kipferls).  These should sit in a tight container in the fridge for a couple weeks or longer before Christmas.

Last year, Meringue cookies were a big hit.  One brother can't eat any wheat, so good cookies with no flour or gluten were perfect.
http://www.joyofbaking.com/MeringueCookies.html
I made some with mini chocolate chips stirred in, and flavored others with peppermint and tiny bits of chopped candy cane.  There are probably 100 ways to flavor and color them...

And we also make chocolate chip, and add some baking M&M's for color.  

:-)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 07:14:43 AM by MrsSmith »

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 08:12:08 AM »
I'm getting ready to make this again.

http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,20468.0/

with much lingering thanks to jtyangel here, who kindly gave me the recipe.

However, every time I've tried it, I can't quite make them come out like my mother did.

My mother could make them turn out rock-hard, which is the way I like them.

<<not a fan of soft food.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Traveshamockery

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 03:54:14 PM »
Thank you, Mrs. Smith! 

Frank:  Springerles sound really good but seem to be a lot more work than it would appear by reading the recipes,  I do not think I've ever had them before but I do love the smell of anise.  Have you tried making them since 2009? 

Coincidentally, my maiden name is Springer.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 03:56:00 PM »
Thank you, Mrs. Smith! 

Frank:  Springerles sound really good but seem to be a lot more work than it would appear by reading the recipes,  I do not think I've ever had them before but I do love the smell of anise.  Have you tried making them since 2009? 

Coincidentally, my maiden name is Springer.

Yeah, I have, but I don't do anything fancy.

There's some sort of rolling-pin with "pictures" carved in them, that one rolls over the dough.

I don't mess with that.

I just put a spoonful of the dough on the cookie sheet; after all, they're for dining on, not looking at.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 06:20:57 PM »
Yeah, I have, but I don't do anything fancy.

There's some sort of rolling-pin with "pictures" carved in them, that one rolls over the dough.

I don't mess with that.

I just put a spoonful of the dough on the cookie sheet; after all, they're for dining on, not looking at.
That's probably why your cookies aren't like your mother's.  You need to flatten the dough to the right thickness, whatever the recipe calls for, to get the correct result.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 09:51:27 AM »
However, every time I've tried it, I can't quite make them come out like my mother did.

My mother could make them turn out rock-hard, which is the way I like them.
Leave them in the oven longer (without burning them).
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline debk

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 11:42:38 AM »
Gettting ready to start baking today.

Every year I make Magic Bars, Danish Butter Cookies (my step-grandmother came over from Denmark in her early  20's and I make her recipe), peanut butter blossoms, mini brownie cupcakes w/either pecans or caramel Hershey Kisses stuck upside down on the top, and oatmeal raspberry bars. Also Chex Mix.

I make peppermint bark, chocolate covered toffee, turtles, peanut butter cups, fudge and spiced almonds and pecans.

For Christmas Eve I make creme brulee, New York cheesecake w/raspberry Chambord sauce and Creme de Menthe cheesecake (though last year I made both into cupcake size instead of big ones and also made chocolate chip too, and will again this year), mini pecan pies and mini mincemeat pies w/ B&B in them.

Several years ago, instead of going out and buying gifts for our friends and the secretaries, office manager and broker at my office....I started making up gift bags of goodies. It works out well, as I don't struggle trying to figure out what to get them, and it keeps the cost pretty much the same for each, and it isn't something they get from someone else. Also, we get to have all the different stuff, too, but not so much that we are eating it for weeks!

I buy those patterned cellophane bags at Dollar Tree and put a half dozen of cookies and candy, and then put them into a big gift bag. I will also make either Spice Tea mix that I put into the little 8oz Christmas plastic containers (also Dollar Tree) or will get several different kinds of hot cocoa mix packets and give a "sample" of 1 of each that I tie with a ribbon and put in the bag too.

Those that come on Christmas Eve, take home some of the desserts, and I also make chicken soup that I have frozen and they get a big container of it with a bag of noodles to add when they fix it. I made the soup a couple of weeks ago. I made broccoli cheese soup the other night though, and froze some, in quart containers, and I may give them a choice this year.

Over the years, they've all become very "sub-tle" ...."what are you baking for Christmas this year, Deb?"  :lmao:

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 11:45:31 AM »
I'm going to make a small tres leche cake for myself.  I'll try Jello's instant chocolate mousse for a topping since the vanilla-flavored whipped cream I made last time didn't go well with the chocolate cake.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 12:10:20 PM »

Offline debk

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 12:12:46 PM »
I'm going to try these over the holidays:

http://consciouscrumbs.com/post/293338277/swedish-creme-cookies-1-cup-butter-2-cups-flour

Hmmmm.....these look terrific!!!!  :drool:

Might have to add these.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 12:20:44 PM »

Hmmmm.....these look terrific!!!!  :drool:

Might have to add these.

I hope they are as good as they look. I always bookmark things and then forget about them. I love the idea of baking, but then get lazy over the actual work :).

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 12:30:33 PM »
I'm going to try these over the holidays:

http://consciouscrumbs.com/post/293338277/swedish-creme-cookies-1-cup-butter-2-cups-flour

Those look tasty.  I wonder if jam could be used to replace the frosting, it seems that it should work.  I'm baking cookies with my friends tomorrow, I might have to try these. 

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 01:36:37 PM »
Those look tasty.  I wonder if jam could be used to replace the frosting, it seems that it should work.  I'm baking cookies with my friends tomorrow, I might have to try these. 

CR - I bet jam would be just as good. Yum!

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 01:46:47 PM »
My sister-in-law makes these for family get togethers.  They are fantastic!

Apricot Bars
From Taste of Home Ultimate Cookie Collection

¾ cup butter, softened
1 c. sugar
1 egg
½ tsp vanilla
2 c. flour
¼ tsp. baking powder
1 1/3 c. coconut
½ c. chopped walnuts
12 oz. jar apricot preserves

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla and mix well. In a separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Gradually add to creamed mixture. Add coconut and walnuts. Press two-thirds of dough into a greased 9x13” baking pan. Spread with preserves, leaving about a ¼ - ½ border around edges. Be careful not to spread preserves all the way to the edge or mixture will stick and be hard to get out of pan. Crumble remaining dough over preserves. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars.

Makes 2 dozen.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 01:50:16 PM »
I'm thinking of making the s'mores from the back of the Golden Grahams box. 

Good stuff.

Offline Traveshamockery

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 02:01:18 PM »
Oh yum!  Those cookies look yummy!  And Deb - you're going to be busy.

BTW, my mother's side of the family comes from Denmark, too!  Any Christiansens in your family?