Author Topic: Berry Score!  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Flame

Berry Score!
« on: July 21, 2009, 01:34:58 PM »
Last week at baseball practice, Mr Flame and I took a walk along a trail near the field.  Discovered TONS of rasberry bushes with loads of berries.  Picked a couple handful to eat as a snack while we were walking.  Next time we practice, I took my other kids, and a big plastic bowl, and told them to fill it up!  Snacks and a wonderful rasperry cake...yum.

And the night before last a friend called me and said someone had given her a huge bag of blueberries picked from someones property and she couldn't use them all, so come get them.  Clean and picked through them yesterday, and froze them...I thing I got something like 8 cups of blueberry for FREE!  Woohoo!

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Berry Score!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 01:52:16 PM »
Very nice.  I don't know if berries defrost well after being frozen, but they're great for pies and crumb bakes.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 02:05:17 PM »
Too lucky! My raspberries are doing well this year (I only have a few canes though) but my blueberry bush got attacked by a pest and I have had to prune it back to a few sticks to see if it will live.  :bawl:

Offline Flame

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 02:51:21 PM »
Very nice.  I don't know if berries defrost well after being frozen, but they're great for pies and crumb bakes.

I use them in muffins or pancakes or toss some into smoothies, so freezing them works great for me!

Offline Flame

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 02:51:42 PM »
Too lucky! My raspberries are doing well this year (I only have a few canes though) but my blueberry bush got attacked by a pest and I have had to prune it back to a few sticks to see if it will live.  :bawl:

hope they come back!