Author Topic: primitive can't get dielectric union off  (Read 1335 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitive can't get dielectric union off
« on: November 14, 2010, 08:27:16 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=287x8945

Oh my.

Steerpike  (1000+ posts)        Wed Nov-10-10 05:14 AM
Original message

I can't get my dielectric union off

I drained the boiler and turned off the gas and unplugged it. Once the DU stopped leaking water I took a plumbers wrench to it. It just will not budge! Is it soldered? Do I need a torch? Should I saw it off? What is an ez saw?

Hey, if anyone can give a little advice I would really appreciate it...thanks!

Here is the culprit

after which a photograph of a really messed up machine, lime build-up, rust, corrosion

Hassin Bin Sober  (1000+ posts)      Wed Nov-10-10 12:08 PM
Response to Original message

1. Yikes.

It's not soldered.

I would try to clean in up with a wire brush so you can apply some sort of penetrating solvent like WD-40. Let it sit overnight - perhaps re-apply periodically.

Steerpike  (1000+ posts)        Wed Nov-10-10 12:11 PM
Response to Reply #1

2. Hassin!

Thank you so much sir! Plus I just found that it is not "code" anymore...so I will replace this with brass...dielectric unions suck!

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Wed Nov-10-10 12:24 PM
THE DEFROCKED WARPED PRIMITIVE, #09 TOP PRIMITIVE OF 2009

3. Sorry, but that doesn't look like a homeowner job

Corrosion isn't just bad, it's extreme. They might just need to saw things apart and rethread the stubs to get something to work.

Steerpike  (1000+ posts)        Wed Nov-10-10 12:32 PM
Response to Reply #3

4. yeah

I could do that...just a ez saw...or a recipricating saw with "metal" blades...it does look pretty bad! When it leaks it causes mineral build up and corrosion. The DU is supposed to prevent the two different metals from forming a battery-like current that will attract minerals etc...but these "unions" always seem to fail and cause leaks...which leads to the very same thing they purport to prevent...or something like that...

Wash. state Desk Jet  (1000+ posts)      Wed Nov-10-10 01:23 PM

5. wd40

spray it up good. do it more than once. spray it let it penetrate for an hour and spray it up again.And you will need more than one wrench.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: primitive can't get dielectric union off
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 08:34:05 PM »
Another DUmmies about to apply for a Darwin Award.  This is bad how, exactly?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 08:51:17 PM »
Another DUmmies about to apply for a Darwin Award.  This is bad how, exactly?

that thing looks like it's been corroding since Lyndon Johnson was in the White House.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 11:04:19 PM »
WD-40?!  Seriously?  I'd hate to know what else they think you can use that stuff for.  

If the primitive desires to use a penetrant, I would recommend breaking out the Kroil, Knock'er Loose, or PB Blaster, in that order.  If you are lucky, you might get that thing to budge.

Maybe.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 11:09:03 PM by BattleHymn »

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 04:30:37 AM »
Sadly its only a short time B4 they call me but only after they have it FUBR! Oh and they wont empty the cat box that is inevitably next to it!
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 05:38:38 AM »
Once again, a primitive shows us why they shouldn't be allowed to own homes. That looks to my amateur eye like something that should have been addressed at least twenty years ago.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 06:04:41 AM »
WD-40?!  Seriously?  I'd hate to know what else they think you can use that stuff for.  

If the primitive desires to use a penetrant, I would recommend breaking out the Kroil, Knock'er Loose, or PB Blaster, in that order.  If you are lucky, you might get that thing to budge.

Maybe.

:rotf: I was thinking the same thing. WD-40 has got to be the most useless "penetrant" out there. Looking at that union....He first needs to clean all the lime buildup from around it with a wire brush and then try pb blaster but i seriously doubt that will even work at this point. I vote for propane torch and the biggest longest pipe wrench the dummy owns. Other than that....Saw-zall time! :-)
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 06:06:41 AM »
Oh! and one more thing....way to keep up with the maintenance of that boiler dummy! How long has that union been leaking like that for there to be that much buildup? :rotf:
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Karin

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 08:19:19 AM »
So I rowed over and took a look.  Ye Gods!  This is why I have a professional come take a look at the furnace system each year.  No messing around. 

This whole sorry mess looks like it would end in a tragic Franksolich short story. 

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 08:48:17 AM »
So I rowed over and took a look.  Ye Gods!  This is why I have a professional come take a look at the furnace system each year.  No messing around.  

This whole sorry mess looks like it would end in a tragic Franksolich short story.  

Neighbor, it's only tragic if it happens to you, or someone you like.  Otherwise, it's a comedy. :cheersmate: :fuelfire: :tongue:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline jukin

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 09:15:17 AM »
WD40 is not a penetrating solvent. WD40 (Water Displacement formula 40) is intended to stop rust nothing more. Kroil, PB Blaster, and Liquid wrench are penetrating solvents.

It really is sad to think the DUchebags are so utterly ill equipped to deal with the world. If the civil war that the DUmmys want so much comes to happen, we will win by just letting their infrastructure crumble.  Once they are at Zimbabwe status we can walk in with candy bars for the natives with not a shot fired.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 09:35:57 AM »
Well now that's quite a mess, a wire brush and penetrating oil would help, though, and since NPT threads taper they come apart surprisingly easy once you overcome any residual doping or joint compound sealing them.  Assuming you use the correct tools, which is a huge longshot with DUmmies involved.

Ditto on all the WD-40 comments, it's essentially just kerosene.  All it does is displace water and carry away anything that'll dissolve in kerosene, it evaporates rather quickly and you have to follow it up with a protective oil or the rust monster comes back with renewed strength after it dries out.

I like Liquid Wrench for a penetrating oil myself, but I haven't really tried the other brands mentioned. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 09:42:16 AM »
Well now that's quite a mess, a wire brush and penetrating oil would help, though, and since NPT threads taper they come apart surprisingly easy once you overcome any residual doping or joint compound sealing them.  Assuming you use the correct tools, which is a huge longshot with DUmmies involved.

Ditto on all the WD-40 comments, it's essentially just kerosene.  All it does is displace water and carry away anything that'll dissolve in kerosene, it evaporates rather quickly and you have to follow it up with a protective oil or the rust monster comes back with renewed strength after it dries out.

I like Liquid Wrench for a penetrating oil myself, but I haven't really tried the other brands mentioned. 

I swear by PB Blaster but have found Cyclo "Break Away" excellent as well.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 09:44:15 AM »
I've tried Liquid Wrench.  I used half the can and still couldn't budge the bolts I was trying to remove.  Ended up breaking two of them.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 09:57:16 AM »
I've tried Liquid Wrench.  I used half the can and still couldn't budge the bolts I was trying to remove.  Ended up breaking two of them.

For non-NPT threads (SAE, metric, Armstrong, Acme, etc.), sometimes a torch is the only thing that'll really make a difference.  If the bolt actually goes through the piece it screws into, instead of a blind hole, it's critical to lube and wirebrush the crap out of the threads that protrude on the other side.  Failing to do that will very often result in twisting the bolt in two, when the corrosion on the protruding section gets pulled up into the mating surface and jams...it's like trying to pull Charley Rangel through a tax audit without damage, it just won't fit.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 10:09:01 AM »
I'm glad I did this with a spare part.  I'm paranoid about doing this to one of my cars, but I need to be able to unbolt the exhaust manifold and pull it away from the motor to replace the gaskets.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
Hey, don't knock WD-40. It's one of the best things around for rendering a round of ammunition useless. We used to keep a bucket of it handy at the range for tossing our misfired rounds into.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 11:02:06 AM »
Yeah, it's certainly penetrant enough to ruin primers on ammo that doesn't have a thorough and intact lacquer seal.

Offline true_blood

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 12:52:24 PM »
Once again, a primitive shows us why they shouldn't be allowed to own homes.
Case closed. :lmao:

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 05:12:14 PM »
That's beyond wrenching! The only hope for that is a sawzall and a new boiler!
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2010, 05:34:12 PM »
Bad, bad liberals.

WD-40 is petroleum based AND it was used to protect NUCLEAR MISSILES.

They should be morally repulsed by such a product.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2010, 06:02:03 PM »
...it's like trying to pull Charley Rangel through a tax audit without damage, it just won't fit.

Awesome, sir!
apres moi, le deluge

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 07:58:33 AM »

PB Blaster is my current choice, it works pretty good.  I think it's a little better than Liquid Wrench.
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.