Author Topic: Luke Skywalker is sort of an asshole (It must be sci fi geek friday in the loung  (Read 2027 times)

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
DerekG (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-01-08 01:12 AM
Original message
Luke Skywalker is sort of an asshole
 About these advertisementsEdited on Fri Feb-01-08 01:26 AM by DerekG
I really dig these flicks, but one thing that's always bothered me is that nothing seems to faze ol' Luke. Think about it. In the original film, he loses his surrogate mother and father, his mentor, and his best friend Biggs in the span of two or three days. Pretty traumatic stuff, but you wouldn't know it, what with the goofy grin that kid's always wearing. Rolls right off the back; just part of the adventure. Really, the only instance where he exudes vulnerability is when he gets The Big News. It's gloriously melodramatic, but an aberration--because in the next one, he wants to give his mommy-strangling, sister-torturing, mass-murdering Daddy a big hug!

WTF is this "I feel the good in you" crap? Had I been Luke, I'd of spent the ESB/ROTJ interim plotting Vader's gruesome death. Episode VI would have been rated R, with the tagline "It's Father's Day...in a galaxy far, far away!"

Compare this detached little buddha to his Dad. Fans complain about Anakin, but in a perverse way, he's more sympathetic. When a family member of his is killed, he has a freak-out, wipes out the whole village, and cools off by wedding and bedding Natalie Portman. See, there's someone who takes things to heart.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=105&topic_id=7418724&mesg_id=7418724

He's more sympathetic, but by their rules, he's a warmongering conservative. 
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline jtyangel

Original message
Luke Skywalker is sort of an *******
I really dig these flicks, but one thing that's always bothered me is that nothing seems to faze ol' Luke. Think about it. In the original film, he loses his surrogate mother and father, his mentor, and his best friend Biggs in the span of two or three days. Pretty traumatic stuff, but you wouldn't know it, what with the goofy grin that kid's always wearing. Rolls right off the back; just part of the adventure. Really, the only instance where he exudes vulnerability is when he gets The Big News. It's gloriously melodramatic, but an aberration--because in the next one, he wants to give his mommy-strangling, sister-torturing, mass-murdering Daddy a big hug!

WTF is this "I feel the good in you" crap? Had I been Luke, I'd of spent the ESB/ROTJ interim plotting Vader's gruesome death. Episode VI would have been rated R, with the tagline "It's Father's Day...in a galaxy far, far away!"

Compare this detached little buddha to his Dad. Fans complain about Anakin, but in a perverse way, he's more sympathetic. When a family member of his is killed, he has a freak-out, wipes out the whole village, and cools off by wedding and bedding Natalie Portman. See, there's someone who takes things to heart.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=105&topic_id=7418724&mesg_id=7418724

Actually, I think he's made a perfect analogy for self-control of emotions versus not. I don't remember every detail of the movie, but in some ways Luke was far more controlled of his emotions--thankfully, time with his Uncle and Aunt rather then his father, Anakin, helped make him far more level-headed and compassionate. Luke was so compassionate that he had feeling for his father, that was evident.

Anikan, on the other hand, let his negative emotions and disappointments rule his life--sounds an awful lot like the DUmp.

Evil was able to manipulate Anakin's weak hold on his emotions.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
Original message
Luke Skywalker is sort of an *******

I don't know. He seemed pretty upset by that game of 'who's your daddy' that Obi Wan played on him.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

I don't know. He seemed pretty upset by that game of 'who's your daddy' that Obi Wan played on him.
Obi Wan was a lying sack 'o crap.  "It was true, from a certain perspective."  Bullshit!  It was a flat-out lie.  If the light side of the Force is where Goodness goes, then it should have disassembled him and made him dead dead, not alive dead.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.

Obi Wan was a lying sack 'o crap.  "It was true, from a certain perspective."  Bullshit!  It was a flat-out lie.  If the light side of the Force is where Goodness goes, then it should have disassembled him and made him dead dead, not alive dead.

Kinda like the definition of is
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

Kinda like the definition of is
Exactly.  Obi Wan should have gone where Bubba will be going.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.