Author Topic: U.S. man jailed for 20 years for eco-bombing plot  (Read 685 times)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
U.S. man jailed for 20 years for eco-bombing plot
« on: May 09, 2008, 05:27:02 PM »
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A California man described by prosecutors as an "eco-terrorist" was sentenced to nearly 20 years in prison on Thursday for plotting to blow up a federal forestry site, telephone towers and other targets.

Eric McDavid, 29, was convicted by a federal jury in March after two co-conspirators, Zachary Jenson and Lauren Weiner, pleaded guilty and cooperated with the government. Weiner is due to be sentenced on May 15 and Jenson on August 7.

McDavid's sentence of 235 months in a federal prison "should serve as a cautionary tale to those who would conspire to commit life-threatening acts in the name of their extremist views," U.S. Attorney McGregor Scott said in a statement issued in Sacramento, California.

Federal prosecutors said the three defendants planned to attack targets including the U.S. Forest Service Institute of Forest Genetics, the Nimbus Dam and Fish Hatchery, cellular telephone towers and electric power stations.

As part of the plot, Weiner ordered a book called "Poor Man's James Bond" with recipes and instructions for creating explosive devices, they said.

McDavid, Jenson and Weiner were arrested in January 2006 outside a store in Auburn, California, after buying items to create the explosives, prosecutors said.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080509/us_nm/crime_usa_plot_dc;_ylt=ApwUdtKGXtYSsfv.0DgoxPhbIwgF

Good!

a little background info - http://www.auburnjournal.com/detail/49768.html?content_source=archive
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline ReardenSteel

Re: U.S. man jailed for 20 years for eco-bombing plot
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 06:51:50 PM »
Good stuff.

These kind of yahoo's belong behind bars. Glad he was caught before the damage was done.

fwiw- I don't care for the term eco-terrorist when terrorist works just fine on it's own.
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Lauri

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 07:47:18 PM »
yeah, does the word 'echo' soften what they do? they waste millions of dollars when they go on a rampage..

i wish the judge would fly up here to the northwest and jail the rest of them..

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 07:13:40 AM »
You really, really don't want to be the last guy to make a deal.

:evillaugh:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.