Author Topic: You Could Be Eating Genetically Modified Corn—and Not Even Know It  (Read 574 times)

Offline thundley4

Monsanto, the oft-vilified company known for hawking genetically modified seeds and suing farmers, is putting genetically modified sweet corn on supermarket shelves this fall.

Monsanto's corn will look like any regular corn on the shelf, but it will be genetically altered to carry Bt toxin, which messes with insect's digestive systems and kills them, allowing farmers to forego pesticides.

Are you afraid of eating genetically modified food? Should you be? Maybe, but chances are you already eat it.
This isn't a first: Syngenta, a Monsanto rival, has been selling genetically modified sweet corn for 10 years, and Seminis, which Monsanto acquired in 2005, sells genetically modified squash. Plus, most soy, a common ingredient in processed foods, is genetically modified.

Didn't know you were possibly shoving those genetically modified crops in your mouth? That's because labeling genetically modified foods isn't required in the United States like it is in Europe and Japan. The industry learned its lesson in the early '90s when Celgene labeled their Flavr Savr tomatoes as genetically modified and hardly anyone bought them.
http://gizmodo.com/5828883/you-could-be-eating-genetically-modified-cornand-not-even-know-it

For all those DUmmies that like their Tofu.  :loser:

Offline Mr Mannn

not scared. I'll eat GM foods. I think a lot of people are big babies about this.

Offline thundley4

I don't worry about it either, since all food crops are genetically modified , whether through selective pollination or gene manipulation.   The fear and rejection of GM food crops have helped to perpetuate world hunger and malnutrition .

Offline DumbAss Tanker

I have real trouble with some of the more outrageous modifications and think there can't help but be some unintended consequences if they are allowed to continue, but mods that just involve genes from related species are a 'so what.'
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline CG6468

I say BFD. I don't sweat it.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline cmypay

The genetically modified soy is modified to make it resistant to round-up, deceasing weeds and increasing yield. I have no idea how that would effect people, but since it seems farmers can't buy any other soy seeds, I guess we're stuck with it.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Yes. is the problem. I no have fear, in order to eat from these foods to. But I think that Monsanto has too much control of the farmers. The law over the right; perhaps appropriately would have to be again-visited?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline catsmtrods

I only eat corn from my local farm. It is free to me cause it has a few worms in the tip. Ya cut the tip off and voila no worms! No pesticides no GMO and no worms! Been eating it for 40 years. Make a big pot of chowder from it every year and freeze it for winter. Bitch people led to this shit by not realizing what our forefathers knew, the bugs just take their share! Get over it ! If you happen to eat a few bugs, extra protein.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
I've found the 3rd ear can be quite useful, really.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."