Author Topic: GM going overseas after we bailed them out.  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Lanie

GM going overseas after we bailed them out.
« on: May 08, 2009, 03:55:44 PM »
This makes me beyond angry. I haven't pushed the issue of companies going overseas much because
it seems wrong to support protectionism. However, I am beyond angry that we're giving money to companies just so they can take jobs away
from Americans. All these whines about individuals wanting government assistance, and we gave it to companies. We gave it to companies to
help out Americans so they wouldn't end up asking for government assistance.

Can we please NEVER EVER give aid to a company ever again? I don't mean not reducing their taxes. I'm fine with that. I mean
this nonsense of bailing them out. It makes me beyond angry because the companies got their cake and they ate it too.

I guess I need a link.

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/cm/blogs/all/gms-plans-to-offshore-patriotism-vs-profitability/?cs=32459
Happy Upcoming July 4th. Our country is still one of the best in the world.

Offline RobJohnson

Re: GM going overseas after we bailed them out.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 01:05:55 AM »
This makes me beyond angry. I haven't pushed the issue of companies going overseas much because
it seems wrong to support protectionism. However, I am beyond angry that we're giving money to companies just so they can take jobs away
from Americans. All these whines about individuals wanting government assistance, and we gave it to companies. We gave it to companies to

Can we please NEVER EVER give aid to a company ever again? I don't mean not reducing their taxes. I'm fine with that. I mean
this nonsense of bailing them out. It makes me beyond angry because the companies got their cake and they ate it too.

I guess I need a link.

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/cm/blogs/all/gms-plans-to-offshore-patriotism-vs-profitability/?cs=32459

I don't like bail outs for businesses any more then I like them for individuals.

Good points Lanie.

Offline Bluesuiter-Retired

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 10:25:43 PM »
With "the dear leader" pushing to close the tax loopholes for those businesses which have outsourced overseas, while maintaining their tax base in the U.S., we're going to see even more businesses doing this, only they won't just outsource, but move their entire operation off-shore.

Remember when Boeing relocated their headquarters from Seattle to Chicago?  There is where a lot of that began.  Remember how Microsoft threatened to relocate their headquarters to canada?

Businesses are losing patients with the federal government and its overreaching to hammer them on taxes.

"the dear leader" intends to fund SOCIALIZED HEALTHCARE by hammering the rich with higher taxes.  When that happens we're all going to take it in the shorts through higher prices for the goods and services we consume.  It is the rich whom owns those businesses which provide the goods and services, not the federal government.
America - Love It, or LEAVE

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 11:01:29 PM »
Who owns General Motors? 

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 11:06:03 PM »
I don't like bail outs for businesses any more then I like them for individuals.

Good points Lanie.

I feel the same way about taxes.  Maybe that's why they're moving.

I don't know what their market share is, but GM opened a new factory in Russia and Buick has a solid reputation in China.  Why shouldn't they go where the money is?
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline TheRightWay

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 11:24:50 PM »

I guess I need a link.

Personally maybe it would have been better to bailout people instead of the company's ... at least if they move they will no longer be a drain on our economy

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 05:47:27 AM »
I guess it says something about the cost of doing business in the US if it is more profitable to make a 1 1/2 ton vehicle overseas and then pay the shipping costs to get it here, and still be competitive with the same vehicle made here.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 08:42:11 AM »
I guess it says something about the cost of doing business in the US if it is more profitable to make a 1 1/2 ton vehicle overseas and then pay the shipping costs to get it here, and still be competitive with the same vehicle made here.

It's the foreseeable result of paying highly-skilled level wages for semi-skilled level work.  It doesn't take a craftsman or a master welder to build a car from the parts stream, and it never did, but that's what we've been paying and the tax revenue stream from the inflated wages has been the basis of the Michigan public-sector economy.  Reality has a way of overtaking fantasy.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 12:56:52 PM »
It's the foreseeable result of paying highly-skilled level wages for semi-skilled level work.  It doesn't take a craftsman or a master welder to build a car from the parts stream, and it never did, but that's what we've been paying and the tax revenue stream from the inflated wages has been the basis of the Michigan public-sector economy.  Reality has a way of overtaking fantasy.

I couldn't  read the entire article, as for some reason it crashed my browser (twice), however, you are dead on in part, DAT, as I have had a great deal of exposure to GM's manufacturing practices over the years.

First, GM has manufactured vehicles offshore since the '50's, in many countries (Germany, UK, Spain, Mexico, Australia, South Africa, Chili, Argentina, Brazil, Japan, Korea, and even several unknown spots like Saudi Arabia and Egypt.......just as a partial list)  This was initially motivated by the fact that the types of vehicles used in these areas were significantly different from those manufactured in the US therefore making it more economical to build them locally than to import them.  It is interesting to note that they generally had a substantial level of US sourced components.

Over the years, as GM's management changed its focus from auto design and marketing to finance, and its goals from midterm to short term.....thus capitulation to the UAW really began in earnest, as it became management's philosophy that it was less costly in the short term to cave to union demands than to suffer the losses of a prolonged strike.........this MO continued to the point where the cost of a US built vehicle became so uncompetitive that we now arrive at the position where it becomes more economical to build them elsewhere and import them than to continue manufacture here. 

Lanie fails to understand that corporations do not have a sense of patriotism, or even a conscience......they exist to make money, nothing more, nothing less......If GM can use the Magic Negro's pandering to the UAW to keep themselves afloat until they can outsource their most profitable lines to less expensive areas, this is a good business decision.

You must also realize that their most profitable vehicles (trucks, SUV's, etc.) are the vehicles that the government wants to use their bailout blackmail to eliminate in order for GM to become more "environmentally friendly", you get this sort of result.  It is further important to note that "CAFE" standards apply differently to imported vehicles than they do to those that are domestically produced, so overall, this is the (not surprising) result of liberal involvement in the private sector.........exactly the opposite of that which was initially intended.

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 01:19:19 PM »
The major problem is the US gov't wanting to tax money that corps make overseas from their overseas subsidiaries, just like they want individuals to pay taxes on money they make overseas that are in their overseas accounts.

Someone needs to explain to me how they can get away with that.  For example, if I make $150K and pay taxes of $50K, and I decide to take the $100K profit and put it in a Swiss account and invest in businesses, or buy gov't bonds that aren't American, how can the USA claim I owe taxes to them on that money just because I'm a citizen here?  I already paid taxes, the $100K is mine to do with as I wish.  I can see owning taxes if the money earned income in the USA even it it was from a foreign account, but if from my Swiss account I invest in a company that's exclusively in the German market, the USA gov't shouldn't be able to tax that.

Other gov'ts recognize this, the USA doesn't.  There's the problem.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Bluesuiter-Retired

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 10:27:08 AM »
Whats going to be interesting in the short-term, is that GM is looking at relocating its headquarters out of Detroit.  The article I read didn't indicate where GM would relocate to, but I go back to when clinton went after Microsoft, Bill Gates started negotiating with Canada to relocate his corporate headquarters and manufacturing facilities to Canada.

Boeing not all that long ago relocated their corporate headquarters to Chicago, so when Microsoft began making noises about moving to Canada, the Seattle area came unglued because they stood to lose tens of millions in revenue from Microsoft.
America - Love It, or LEAVE

Offline Baruch Menachem

• In a handbasket, heading to a warm destination
  • do the best you can with what you can
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 12:20:21 PM »
Who owns General Motors? 

Right now, Dear Leader 0bama and the UAW.

Of course, the UAW is not the employees of GM.  If you have followed anything about what the leadership of the UAW has done with the money they get, you see there is a clear distinction.

So I can see the UAW, in order to boost profits at their newly purchased business, moving the whole thing offshore.  The workers,   Well, one more screw over among many is not really their problem, is it?
An optimist sees the glass as half full, a pessimist sees the glass as half empty, an engineer sees that there is twice the glass required to contain the beer

My name is Obamandias, King of Kings, 
  Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Offline ironhorsedriver

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 04:19:51 PM »
Damn UAW members, to bad for you, Huh?