Author Topic: Yet more liberal public school stupidity: no more homework and cheating do-overs  (Read 654 times)

Offline jinxmchue

These people should be fired...

...at.

http://cbs11tv.com/local/Plano.Plano.ISD.2.958054.html

According to several Plano Independent School District teachers, they have been informed that beginning next school year, homework will no longer be required for middle school students.  And the grades for homework assignments that are assigned will not apply to students' report card grades.

If a middle school student is caught cheating, he or she would be allowed to redo the assignment or complete an alternate assignment.  Currently, students caught cheating in the Plano ISD are given a grade of zero on that assignment.

Why bother with school at all, then?

Offline thundley4

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
The Executive Director for Government and Community Relations for the Plano Independent School District issued the following statement:  "The Plano ISD middle school grading and assessment committee began the study of grading and assessment practices at the middle school level in September 2007.  The objective of their work was to insure that grading practices are consistent with the philosophy that grades should be our most accurate reflection of student knowledge and achievement.  These findings are being considered in the district's administrative review process."

So an "A" now equals no knowledge and achievement of nothing?  WTH???
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Flame

a policy like that would actually hinder my son...he NEEDS those A's on homework to level out his grade, 'cause he is not a good test taker at all.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Homework, or the lack of completion, was the largest detriment to my grades. I don't think it's right to do away with those standards. Had it not been for my "laziness", I would have been a straight A student.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson