Author Topic: Young women at staggeringly high risk of anxiety and depression  (Read 939 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Young women at staggeringly high risk of anxiety and depression
« on: September 30, 2016, 07:23:56 AM »
It's the UK, but I'm sure that the same can be said about young women here in the USA.

Young women at staggeringly high risk of anxiety and depression

Ashitha Nagesh for Metro.co.uk Thursday 29 Sep 2016 9:39 pm

There’s been a huge spike in the number of young women suffering from mental health problems, a major health report has found.

According to the latest study from NHS Digital, more than a quarter (26%) of young women aged 16 to 24 are suffering worrying symptoms – more than three times the rate for men the same age (9%).

And around a quarter of young women have self-harmed – most commonly by cutting themselves – compared to just 10% of men the same age.

In 1993 young women were twice as likely as young men to exhibit common mental health disorder (CMD) symptoms. Now, they are three times more likely to experience them.

CMD symptoms include irritability, worrying, depression, anxiety, feelings of panic, compulsion and trouble sleeping.

As I said, I'm sure that rates are pretty close to the UK's, here.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/09/29/young-women-at-staggeringly-high-risk-of-anxiety-and-depression-6161497/#ixzz4Lk1RrmtK
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Young women at staggeringly high risk of anxiety and depression
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 08:55:18 AM »
I find it interesting that the media finds a report that basically says that things are fundamentally unchanged with the mental status of young people as they were, oh, say, back in the Sixties.

Women worry about all kinds of stuff. It's what they do. They worry about their friends, their boyfriends, their wardrobe, their teeth, their breast size and shape, and whether their butt is too big (or not big enough).

But then again, the report writer is looking to make money, as is the media.

We wouldn't be healthy if we didn't have a tragedy around every corner.  :fuelfire:  :yawn:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 09:59:06 AM »
The predictable result of abolishing biological gender and turning to a culture of complete self-absorption.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 09:36:08 PM »
The predictable result of abolishing biological gender and turning to a culture of complete self-absorption.

Go figure.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du