Author Topic: So what changed?  (Read 3413 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
So what changed?
« on: September 30, 2012, 06:15:52 AM »
Then...

Tom Yossarian Joad (1000+ posts)

Move On organising vigils for 1000 dead American soldiers

i'm hosting my first candlelight vigil tomorrow night...
  I wish you luck and good attendance...
  i'm bama born and bred, so i know what you're up against,
  Heh. You got that right. I'll be happy to stay out of jail...
  Going to one in Denver tomorrow night
  Just my opinion, but I think there might be a better chance of changing
  Signed up in Tulsa! n/t
  Port Jefferson (Long Island), New York....I'll be there...
  democrats can never outpander the republicans- it's a waste of...
  IMHO, it's not pandering.... It's a vigil for the dead.
  I'll be standing at the Puget Sound, candle in hand..
  kick
  Attending in Idaho
  I believe there is one, or something similar in Indy
 wow, that sounds like trouble just begging to happen.
 about 45 minutes away from going
 A shot from Huntsville... `4 registered, 60 showed...
 We had about 150 people
 If you were an organiser, check your email. If you want to show them
 I went to ours in Eau Claire, WI.
 Glad to hear it. We had a beautiful evening and a wonderfully diverse
 While demonized by desposts, "MoveOn" is for "the people",...
 Sent the pix to the organizer to post
 Just got back.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x811596

Now...

xchrom (81,902 posts)

US military death toll in Afghanistan reaches 2,000

US MILITARY DEATHS IN AFGHANISTAN HIT 2,000    xchrom

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021440094

:tumbleweed:

Liberals: it's OK if a black guy is doing all the killing
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: So what changed?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 06:17:39 AM »
Very telling, comparing the number of replies.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 06:25:34 AM »
From the icasualities site (a site favored by the trolls during the 2008 campaign season) linked to in the thread: 

Year   US   
2001   12   
2002   49   
2003   48   
2004   52   
2005   99   
2006   98   
2008   155   
2009   317   
2010   499   
2011   418   
2012   261   
Total   2125

Misfits - help me understand why that number of deaths skyrocketed when Barry took office?   Are you freaking kidding me? 

What in the freakin hell is going on? 

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 06:29:37 AM »
From the icasualities site (a site favored by the trolls during the 2008 campaign season) linked to in the thread: 

Year   US   
2001   12   
2002   49   
2003   48   
2004   52   
2005   99   
2006   98   
2008   155   
2009   317   
2010   499   
2011   418   
2012   261   
Total   2125

Misfits - help me understand why that number of deaths skyrocketed when Barry took office?   Are you freaking kidding me? 

What in the freakin hell is going on? 

ROE changes, probably, combined with the Taliban/al Qaida "knowing the enemy" (i.e., the CinC)
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 06:33:05 AM »

COIN relies on saturating enemy territory with highly visible troops. So increased casualties are expected.

Obama won't allow those troops to deliver the killing stroke lest he upset the locals.

In other words: drop a bunch of kids out in the middle of nowhere then forget about them because at the end of the day looking like your doing something matters at the pollsmore than actually killing the enemy.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 06:36:49 AM »
Total deaths the entire 8 years GWB was president = 513
Total deaths the 4 years (still 3 months left in 2012) Barry was present = 1,495

Dear Governor Romney - PLEASE MAKE THIS A POINT IN YOUR DEBATES.   Thank you.   - concerned taxpayer who gives a shit about the military

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 06:43:47 AM »
COIN relies on saturating enemy territory with highly visible troops. So increased casualties are expected.

Which is the reason for those angels over their shoulders.  The POS insurgents come sniffing around, the bombers do a fly-by (and they are flying all damn day every day - or they were) and they scatter like rats.   That is how it has been there since 2001. 

WTF changed? 

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 06:53:17 AM »
I remember well during Iraq how the liberals incessantly bombarded us (pun intended) with context-free images of dead civilians.

Every civilian death was portrayed as an veritable execution by US troops even if it were the result of an Al Quaeda attack on civilians.

What changed?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 06:56:15 AM by SGT Snuggle Bunny »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 07:00:51 AM »
unhappycamper (47,684 posts)

2. It appears the 2,000 is the Afghanistan spin for this week.

They're off by only 125 dead Americans.

http://icasualties.org/OEF/index.aspx

"Spin"?

It's no longer a testament to the toll of human suffering exacted by inept and ambitious men.

Now it's "spin." A politicized attack on the current administration.

What changed?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 07:05:47 AM by SGT Snuggle Bunny »

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 07:04:50 AM »

Obama won't allow those troops to deliver the killing stroke lest he upset the locals.

In other words: drop a bunch of kids out in the middle of nowhere then forget about them because at the end of the day looking like your doing something matters at the pollsmore than actually killing the enemy.

Ok, just got a hold of my husband and he explained what you are saying here to me - which he agrees with.   Right up until the end of GWB's admin, the troops on the ground were Special Ops.   Now they are regular Army/Marines.   High visibility.  Different mission.   

He thinks Romney should advise Afghanistan we are bombing the shit out of any make-shift terrorist camp that pops up going forward.  Not cool?  then see ya.

We should just get the hell out of there and let them rot in the hell hole of their own making.    Just my opinion.

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 07:16:35 AM »
Liberals: it's OK if a black guy is doing all the killing

I can hear it now...

Brian Williams NBC News - "good evening...you're looking live at the Inaugural Ball of President Mitt Romney as he celebrates his first day in office...meanwhile...half a world away from the glitter and lights...two more soldiers died in attacks in Afghanistan in a war that is growing increasingly unwinnable day by day. This brings the death toll in America's longest war to (insert number)"

It will all come back and become nightly fodder once Mitt takes office.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 07:32:38 AM »
I can hear it now...

Brian Williams NBC News - "good evening...you're looking live at the Inaugural Ball of President Mitt Romney as he celebrates his first day in office...meanwhile...half a world away from the glitter and lights...two more soldiers died in attacks in Afghanistan in a war that is growing increasingly unwinnable day by day. This brings the death toll in America's longest war to (insert number)"

GAY-RON-TEED!

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 07:35:22 AM »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 07:48:41 AM »
Different thread, but equally bereft of replies:

lunatica (25,275 posts)

2. The first sentence talks about "...the human cost of an 11-year-old conflict..."

and only counts Americans. Yeah, we're the victims.

The reason this war is no longer of interest to the American people is because as a Nation we're loath to see ourselves for what we truly are. So we just lose interest. We're like babies who quickly lose all interest in a toy because we broke it and something else catches our attention.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014251053

The American people haven't lost interest. There isn't a day I'm in uniform that someone doesn't shake my hand.

You mean YOU sold out for free birth control and couh syrup.

Go ahead **** nugget. Tell the rest of your toilet bobbers that, as a matter of principle, you will not be voting for Obama because of the war and you will be deluged with a list of all the fre goodies to be imperiled should R&R be elected.

Do it, you ****ing *****. I dare you.

And you know why I'm so ****ing pissed?

Because we're fighting an enemy reduced to IEDs.

IEDs are not tactical weapons; they are not about destroying localized forces to gain battlespace dominance.

They are not strategic weapons that destroy a nation's capacity for waging war.

They are political weapons meant to create headlines, protests and speeches from within an opponent's own camp to force him to quit the war.

You ****-nuggets were an integral part of the killing. Every bomb set-off was designed to make you speechify and protest and hold your phony vigils.

YOU killed those troops because you were always a part of the enemy's strategy.

And you know it too!

But that's OK, because Bush was in office.

Now Obama is in office and he's going to pay for your mortgage and your gas and your birth control and your cough syrup.

But men and women better than you are still dying because the enemy your were complicit with is still killing those troops.

**** you.

**** your allies and their pedophile prophet.

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 08:02:59 AM »

The American people haven't lost interest. There isn't a day I'm in uniform that someone doesn't shake my hand.

Normal Americans haven't forgotten Snugs.  The DUmmies only hope the people forget...or at lest don't talk about it right now...if you don't mention the GWOT or soldiers dying while Obama is in office...the Libtards hope everyone will still blame Bush.  IF they were to support Obama and rah rah his efforts in Afghanistan...everyone would see them for the hypocrites you and I know they are.

As I said above...it will once again become front and center in the news the minutes a war mongering Republican takes over.

For Libs it will be ok to talk about the war again.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 08:13:04 AM »

GAY-RON-TEED!

Now I gotta clean the coffee off the monitor . . . H5, Snugs!

(Let's see a ptarmigan come up with something that clever! :fuelfire: :tongue: )
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 08:23:35 AM »
I can hear it now...

Dude, seriously.  I know what you do for a living, but that's WAY too close to what they're going to do.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 09:22:36 AM »
Dude, seriously.  I know what you do for a living, but that's WAY too close to what they're going to do.

The next story will be how high gas prices are harming the poor and minorities, and how Romney is to blame.

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 11:42:22 AM »

I've been around them long enough now...it's pretty easy to know what they're gonna say and how they're gonna phrase it.

Offline jukin

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 12:12:52 PM »
The left is about one thing and one thing only, POWER.

Feminists didn't say a word when Impeached president Clinton was forcing himself on women.

Anti-war advocates say nothing when a democrat party member is president.  Same goes for eco-fascists, illegal immigration fanatics, AARP, and teh geys. They are all about their particular niche until that particular niche comes up against getting more power. Then it is all about the power, nothing but the power.

When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 02:11:11 PM »

Sigh...I love you Snuggle!  :blowkiss:

Cindie

GAY-RON-TEED!

"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 03:57:33 PM »

You mean YOU sold out for free birth control and couh syrup.

Go ahead **** nugget. Tell the rest of your toilet bobbers that, as a matter of principle, you will not be voting for Obama because of the war and you will be deluged with a list of all the fre goodies to be imperiled should R&R be elected.

Do it, you ****ing *****. I dare you.

And you know why I'm so ****ing pissed?

Because we're fighting an enemy reduced to IEDs.

IEDs are not tactical weapons; they are not about destroying localized forces to gain battlespace dominance.

They are not strategic weapons that destroy a nation's capacity for waging war.

They are political weapons meant to create headlines, protests and speeches from within an opponent's own camp to force him to quit the war.

You ****-nuggets were an integral part of the killing. Every bomb set-off was designed to make you speechify and protest and hold your phony vigils.

YOU killed those troops because you were always a part of the enemy's strategy.

And you know it too!

But that's OK, because Bush was in office.

Now Obama is in office and he's going to pay for your mortgage and your gas and your birth control and your cough syrup.

But men and women better than you are still dying because the enemy your were complicit with is still killing those troops.

**** you.

**** your allies and their pedophile prophet.

Hi5 and thank you and all the rest. Wish I could still be in there but it just didn't work out.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 08:45:25 PM »
Sometime last year I watched a video (maybe youtube) of Marines on a night patrol WITH Afghanistan soldiers. It was narrated by one of the Marines, after it was over of course, he described a convoy of Humvees when the lead vehicle was hung up on a rock and the convoy came to a stop.

They all had their lights OUT, but one of the middle vehicles was operated and occupied with Afghan soldiers. The narrator said for NO apparent reason the Afghan vehicle turned it's lights ON and within seconds the convoy was under fire from rockets.

As soon as I heard that, and the narrator did NOT give an opinion why, I immediately suspected the Afghan soldiers were the enemy.

I can't imagine serving with people who MIGHT be the enemy.
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne

Offline JakeStyle

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 01:20:44 AM »
ROE changes, probably, combined with the Taliban/al Qaida "knowing the enemy" (i.e., the CinC)

ROE changes absolutely, you have to see a weapon in hand and air support is extremely limited.  It's a ****ing joke but don't expect to see it in the news.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 10:10:40 AM »
This thread doesn't make sense without dates on the DUmp posts at the top.