Author Topic: (NY Gov. Eliot) Spitzer Is Linked to Prostitution Ring  (Read 2441 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
(NY Gov. Eliot) Spitzer Is Linked to Prostitution Ring
« on: March 10, 2008, 02:27:12 PM »
Skinner ADMIN  (1000+ posts)       Mon Mar-10-08 02:05 PM
Original message
(NY Gov. Eliot) Spitzer Is Linked to Prostitution Ring
 Source: New York Times

snip, OP is a news article

mojowork_n (715 posts)       Mon Mar-10-08 02:59 PM
Response to Reply #92
132. Looks like Wall Street gets its "payback." "Untouchable" Elliott set up?
 Edited on Mon Mar-10-08 03:09 PM by mojowork_n
This is from the original press release, just before Christmas, 2002:

http://www.oag.state.ny.us/press/2002/dec/dec20b_02.htm...

SEC, NY ATTORNEY GENERAL, NASD, NASAA, NYSE AND STATE REGULATORS ANNOUNCE HISTORIC AGREEMENT TO REFORM INVESTMENT PRACTICES

$1.4 Billion Global Settlement Includes Penalties and Funds for Investors

"This agreement will permanently change the way Wall Street operates," Spitzer said. "Our objective throughout the investigation and negotiations has been to protect the small investor and restore integrity to the marketplace. We are confident that the rules embodied in this agreement will do so. The cooperation among my colleagues at the SEC, NASAA, NYSE and NASD has enabled us to reach this important agreement."

I don't know about any of you, but I'd say 1.4 Billion, not to mention permanently chang{ing} the way Wall Street operates... to protect the small investor and restore integrity to the marketplace... anyone getting involved in that sort of activity is going to make some powerful enemies.

Who knows what lengths they'd go to, to get their revenge?

Edit Afterthought: I've absolutely no evidence of any plot or conspiracy, or any idea how someone might have gone about the business of setting him up. (Apparently, it took a while to properly chill the dish, to serve the meal, "cold."), I'm just saying it could well have gone down that way. Big ears and a receding hair line, I'm wondering if the governor isn't really kicking himself for that one time he "got so incredibly lucky, and no one was ever going to find out." There's going to be a press conference shortly, maybe there's going to be something substantial there.
landonb16  (1000+ posts)     Mon Mar-10-08 02:08 PM
Response to Original message
6. subtract 1 super delagate from Clinton

Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
 Sock Puppet (498 posts)      Mon Mar-10-08 02:34 PM
Response to Reply #6
83. that's your response?
 Holy crap that is in bad taste.
humbled_opinion (1000+ posts)       Mon Mar-10-08 02:33 PM
Response to Reply #14
82. Why should he rsign? 
 People just throw themselves out over these drive by stories...
lolamio  (132 posts)      Mon Mar-10-08 02:23 PM
46. This is depressing.
 The Democrats in New York State are on the verge of taking back control of the State Senate. This is the worst possible news.
ProfessorPlum  (1000+ posts)      Mon Mar-10-08 02:26 PM
58. I knew that NSA program would come in handy
 I guess Spitzer decided not to be blackmailed, unlike all the other reporters and politicians in the country. 
havocmom  (1000+ posts)       Mon Mar-10-08 02:27 PM
62. Was he buyin' or sellin'
 Any questions about what all the spying on Americans is REALLY about?

Was he about to be outed on this one?

Is this a gentle reminder to other DEM pols who may want to clean things up in the public arena?

Any more questions about why so many DEM pols cave to cheney/bush?

Wire taps are NOT for terrorist suspects, they are to keep the domestic neocon terrorists in power.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x3218984#3219228

There are so many threads over there so I decided to pick Skinner's one, many CT's are about to be born.  :-) :popcorn:

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Re: (NY Gov. Eliot) Spitzer Is Linked to Prostitution Ring
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 02:30:40 PM »
Like clockwork! I said in the other thread here that the DUmp would race to blame BushCo and their "spying on Americans".

So predictable!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 04:12:05 PM »
Like clockwork! I said in the other thread here that the DUmp would race to blame BushCo and their "spying on Americans".

So predictable!

Good thing Billy Jeff created Carnivore and Echelon so Teh Rove cold use it for eeevil VRWC purposes.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 04:16:13 PM »

So predictable!

Good thing Billy Jeff created Carnivore and Echelon so Teh Rove cold use it for eeevil VRWC purposes.

I said it in at least two other threads--it's the interstate wire transfer of the $6500 he paid for "Kristen" that the Feds are getting him for.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 05:40:43 PM »
Not a good day for DUmmyland.  :evillaugh:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 05:43:21 PM »
This one is just screaming for a caption:

:-)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 06:12:50 PM »

"You`re gonna think Lorena Bobbitt was a sweetheart."

"Oh Yeah....ain`t gettin any tonight."

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 06:21:39 PM »
midnight  (1000+ posts)      Mon Mar-10-08 02:21 PM
Response to Reply #23
44. Can anyone tell me why prostitution is illigal?????

hedgehog  (1000+ posts)      Mon Mar-10-08 02:25 PM
Response to Reply #44
54. Prostitution is like polygamy. In theory it's alright between consenting adults, 
 but in practice powerless people end up getting exploited. Even in European countries where prostitution is legal, young women from the old Soviet bloc are being coerced into the trade. 

midnight  (1000+ posts)      Mon Mar-10-08 02:35 PM
Response to Reply #54
86. Then why don't the prostitutes just unionize.
 Then why don't the prostitutes just unionize. They can be represented. It is a line of work or service that is apparently needed. Let it come above ground, and give people the right to engage as adults in this service. It basically seems to me that whatever job people do, if they do not have any negotiating power, ie. unions, they get screwed anyways.

Yeah screwing whores is just fine and dandy with these morons until it is their husband and he brings home a nice juicy case of the clap.  Freaking morons.  And what kind of ding dong do these whores have that would cost $5000 an hour!?!??!  Are they made of gold and spit out diamonds?
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 06:22:19 PM »

"You`re gonna think Lorena Bobbitt was a sweetheart."

"Oh Yeah....ain`t gettin any tonight."

Oh yeah, he'll get some but it'll cost more than $5,500/hour.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 06:30:52 PM »
humbled_opinion (1000+ posts)       Mon Mar-10-08 02:55 PM
Response to Reply #87
124. Exactly ...
 You got restroom shoe tapper and perverted email writer but those things are never adequately brought out for public consumption, the media has such a double standard and bias it is palatable....

Let's see here....... Hmmmmmmmm a guy tapping his shoe in a rest room and a guy sending out perverted emails are equal to boning prostitutes over and over and over after ranting and raving about the same behavior how?  The only thing I see in common here is that they are all males.  Maybe we should have an all female government, there would be no scandals that way. :whatever:
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 06:37:15 PM »
I have been over on the island reading through various threads and would say that maybe 20-30% think he is stupid and hypocritical and understand the illegality of it.
They are calling for him to resign.

By far the majority are trying to excuse it,blame Republicans,say that prostitution should be legalized (there is another reason they want free health care) and a litany of bs.
It is fun to see them try to spin this and my hat is off to the few that are being honest about the situation over there.

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 07:08:42 PM »
Yeah screwing whores is just fine and dandy with these morons until it is their husband and he brings home a nice juicy case of the clap.  Freaking morons.  And what kind of ding dong do these whores have that would cost $5000 an hour!?!??!  Are they made of gold and spit out diamonds?

That would be hilarious if it turned out to be a "Chick with a Dick" huh?  :rotf:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 07:48:38 PM »
HamdenRice (1000+ posts)       Mon Mar-10-08 02:42 PM
100. OK Now the Good News! Our next Governor is a super progressive, blind African American!
 Edited on Mon Mar-10-08 02:52 PM by HamdenRice
He will ably represent the disabled community, minorities, working families and the poor.

I introduce you to one of New York State's best politicians, the incorruptible Honorable David Patterson, Lt. Governor of New York who will undoubtedly become New York's first African American governor, the same year that American elects its first African American president:

Identity politics anyone? LOL How the Hell does being a "blind African American" be a quality all by itself, let alone make one "incorruptible".  :lmao:

I guess a white super progressives does not care about Americans with disabilities or minorities et al, though what then makes them " super progressive" I dare not ask.

::) ::) ::) (there are not enough rolling eye's for this kind of drivil) 

"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Lauri

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 08:03:16 PM »
This one is just screaming for a caption:

:-)

FOX just keeps using that photo of him today.. heck, during O Reilly's show, they must have shown it four or five times even when he wasnt talking about Spitzer..  :popcorn:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 08:09:25 PM »
HamdenRice (1000+ posts)       Mon Mar-10-08 02:42 PM
100. OK Now the Good News! Our next Governor is a super progressive, blind African American!
 Edited on Mon Mar-10-08 02:52 PM by HamdenRice
He will ably represent the disabled community, minorities, working families and the poor.

I introduce you to one of New York State's best politicians, the incorruptible Honorable David Patterson, Lt. Governor of New York who will undoubtedly become New York's first African American governor, the same year that American elects its first African American president:

Identity politics anyone? LOL How the Hell does being a "blind African American" be a quality all by itself, let alone make one "incorruptible".  :lmao:

I guess a white super progressives does not care about Americans with disabilities or minorities et al, though what then makes them " super progressive" I dare not ask.

::) ::) ::) (there are not enough rolling eye's for this kind of drivil) 

If he's not a cross-dresser or a homosexual, he might as well be another neocon!

/unsatisfied DUmmy.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 08:09:55 PM »
I heard Spitzer got the Little Man discount. 

Hung like a tack.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 09:21:36 PM »
i was looking thru the thread to see if Skinner actually made any comments.. and found this little nutjob in there.

closeupready 
396. And another thing: Jackie Kennedy believed that basically all men fool around.

I don't know if she really thought ALL men fooled around or most of them, or most of the desirable ones do, but she was correct, IMO.

jackie kennedy also wanted the world to think she lived in Camelot  :whatever: not to be disrespectful of the dead, but she didnt exactly marry well and she participated in her husband's running around by ignoring it.

to get to an age where you decide that 'all men cheat' simply because you married a dog is naive and ridiculous. and if she wanted a faithful guy, she shouldnt have picked a Kennedy. she was in love with the power, just like Hilary. she knew exactly what kind of a man he was. and she wasnt exactly faithful herself.