Author Topic: Senators join in effort to reduce abortions tied to Down syndrome  (Read 2625 times)

Offline VivisMom

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2982056

babylonsister  (1000+ posts)       Mon Mar-10-08 10:32 AM
Original message
Senators join in effort to reduce abortions tied to Down syndrome
 Advertisements [?]Senators join in effort to reduce abortions tied to Down syndrome
By Rob Hotakainen | McClatchy Newspapers

* Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008

WASHINGTON — Susan May considered terminating her pregnancy when tests confirmed that the 5-month-old fetus she was carrying would become a child with Down syndrome.

The Wichita, Kan., woman was scared and unhappy with the way that doctors delivered the news, stressing the negative. But she's happy that she didn't have an abortion. She said that raising her son, Wyatt, who's now an energetic 5-year-old, had been a very fulfilling experience. And she said it was sad that the vast majority of women decided to abort when they were faced with the prospect of raising children with disabilities.

"A lot of families are missing out on the experience of raising a wonderful child that they'll never know," May said.

It's not only sad but wrong, says Sen. Sam Brownback, who wants to do something about it. In an unusual bipartisan alliance, the Kansas Republican has teamed up with Democratic Sen. Edward Kennedy of Massachusetts on a bill that aims to reduce the number of abortions that are tied to genetic disorders.

The bill would create a national registry of families who are willing to adopt children with pre- or post-natally diagnosed conditions. In addition, families that receive diagnoses of Down syndrome or other genetic conditions would be referred to support services, including a national clearinghouse that would give them information on coping.

"We're just saying instead of killing the children, let them live," Brownback said in an interview.

more...

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/226/story/29762.html

proud2Blib  (1000+ posts)       Mon Mar-10-08 10:34 AM
Response to Original message
1. Adopt them, Sam!
 Adopt them.

Otherwise, STFU. 

**** you, asshole.  :bird:

yardwork  (1000+ posts)      Mon Mar-10-08 10:36 AM
4. Maybe Brownback would like to lead the way with national health care?
 Maybe Brownback would like to fund some "liberal" programs that provide real support to families? 

xchrom  (1000+ posts)       Mon Mar-10-08 10:38 AM
6. do women own their bodies yet? nt

mrcheerful  (1000+ posts)      Mon Mar-10-08 10:41 AM
10. Why? So wing nuts have another group of citizens they
 can blame for all of the puke failures and they can legally discriminate against. No I am not in favor of aborting children because of handi caps or birth defects. But lets face facts, wing nuts see all dis-abled people as a burden on society. It also gives their wing nut kids targets for their bully in the school yard games, after all wing nuts teach their kids to hate anyone not like them. Just another example of wing nut hypocrisy.

I don't know any conservative who thinks that. I do know a lot of libs who do.

Donnachaidh  (1000+ posts)      Mon Mar-10-08 11:03 AM
12. WTF is wrong with these MEN?
 Ted dear, you just went on my permanent shit list. Take your registry and shove it up that bovine behind of yours.

And yes, I'm the mother of a kid with horrendously costly medical bills due to a genetic disorder. How about giving us UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE -- so we can raise our own kids? Huh?

Sounds like Donna is pretty bitter.

When did eugenics become okay???  :???: :???:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Senators join in effort to reduce abortions tied to Down syndrome
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 10:15:06 AM »
Sure they do.  They don't "own" others' bodies.

If you can point to another person and say "kill him/her" then that is slavery.

Slavery is slavery. Murder is murder.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 10:17:16 AM »

Sounds like Donna is pretty bitter.

When did eugenics become okay???  :???: :???:

Jan 22, 1973  :(
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Flame

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 10:18:51 AM »
the 5-month-old fetus she was carrying would become a child

Did this jump out at anyone else?  The fetus IS a child, you moron!

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 10:52:22 AM »
proud2Blib  (1000+ posts)       Mon Mar-10-08 10:34 AM
1. Adopt them, Sam!
 Adopt them.

Otherwise, STFU. 

Uhh moron if you read the article it mentions measures to match these children with families that are more than willing to adopt.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 11:21:07 AM »

Yup, and that is THE lamest argument they have for abortion, "It's MY body!".  It's not about THEIR bodies, it is about ANOTHER person's body, the one growing inside of them.

Like Ann Coulter says, even if you don't believe a growing baby inside a woman is a full-blown person, they still should rank higher than vegetation (they go apeshit over killing a tree).

DUmmies are just sick-o and do not value human life, period.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 11:39:03 AM »
Let me see if I understand what they're so outraged about. Sen. Brownback is considering a bill that would create a LIST, not a mandate, not a law, not even a strong suggestion...just a fricken LIST of people willing to adopt children with genetic disorders so that women will have another CHOICE about what to do with "their" bodies (and the body of the separate...possibly female...person growing inside them). They're outraged over a list? Sheesh...you just can't make this shit up!

Cindie
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 11:42:05 AM »
Let me see if I understand what they're so outraged about. Sen. Brownback is considering a bill that would create a LIST, not a mandate, not a law, not even a strong suggestion...just a fricken LIST of people willing to adopt children with genetic disorders so that women will have another CHOICE about what to do with "their" bodies (and the body of the separate...possibly female...person growing inside them). They're outraged over a list? Sheesh...you just can't make this shit up!

Cindie

Yeah, so much for pro-"choice", huh?
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 11:51:10 AM »
Why is this the business of the US Senate? We need an amendment that forbids the Congress from meddling in peoples lives. :censored: :censored:

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 12:03:04 PM »
10. Why? So libs have another group of citizens they  can blame for all of their own failures and they can legally discriminate against everyone else. I am in favor of aborting children because of handi caps or birth defects or any other reason I can think of. But lets face facts, us libs see all dis-abled people (or any minority) as a burden on society, but a great source of votes. It also gives our lib kids targets to bully in the school yard games, after all us libs teach their kids to hate anyone not like them. Just another example of lib hypocrisy.

Fixt.

Offline VivisMom

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 12:47:36 PM »
DadOf2LittleAngels (1000+ posts)      Mon Mar-10-08 12:50 PM
Response to Reply #28
35. Just a thought
 if one was going to have this kids *before* they found out it had downs syndrome and only *after* finding out it is disabled they decided to abort they are not making the decision for *their bodies*, they are making based on the kids body.

What about blindness? hair color? 

Uh-oh...someone is poking the hive!

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 03:08:52 PM »
10. Why? So wing nuts have another group of citizens they
 can blame for all of the puke failures and they can legally discriminate against. No I am not in favor of aborting children because of handi caps or birth defects. But lets face facts, wing nuts see all dis-abled people as a burden on society. It also gives their wing nut kids targets for their bully in the school yard games, after all wing nuts teach their kids to hate anyone not like them. Just another example of wing nut hypocrisy.

Wow, the projection is absolutely astounding here.   The DUmmies are the ones who think physically and mentally disabled folks are a burden to society, hence their claims that abortion is needed to protect families from the expense of taking care of such people.  :mental:  And they call themselves "tolerant!"

I have worked with the disabled as a student aide to a special education teacher in high-school, and let me tell you something.  Those people are much more productive to society than the DUmmies and  their incessant Internet whining.   Plus, they (the disabled) teach US how to better understand the differences  they have.   

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 03:25:42 PM »

Yup, and that is THE lamest argument they have for abortion, "It's MY body!".  It's not about THEIR bodies, it is about ANOTHER person's body, the one growing inside of them.

Like Ann Coulter says, even if you don't believe a growing baby inside a woman is a full-blown person, they still should rank higher than vegetation (they go apeshit over killing a tree).

DUmmies are just sick-o and do not value human life, period. 

You know, that idea of abortion=slavery was just a quick concept, but I think it might be worth exploring.  I think if we can equate abortion with slavery it might hit home better than the obviously true abortion=murder.  Liberals don't care about murder -- it something they support.  But slavery, OTOH, is something they pretend to despise.

I could use some help on expanding the notion....

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 08:59:09 PM »
Abortion is a blood stain that will never be washed from the hands of this nation, it is an affront before God. :censored:

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 10:23:23 PM »

Cindie

Yeah, so much for pro-"choice", huh?

The only "choice" so many of them like is death.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 10:29:50 PM »
Why is this the business of the US Senate? We need an amendment that forbids the Congress from meddling in peoples lives. :censored: :censored:

I agree.
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 04:08:05 AM »
You know, that idea of abortion=slavery was just a quick concept, but I think it might be worth exploring.  I think if we can equate abortion with slavery it might hit home better than the obviously true abortion=murder.  Liberals don't care about murder -- it something they support.  But slavery, OTOH, is something they pretend to despise.

I could use some help on expanding the notion....

Actually, it has been.

It's like someone saying, "well, personally, I'm against slavery, and wouldn't own a slave myself, but it's none of my business if someone else wants to own a slave."

Or something like that; it's early in the morning.
apres moi, le deluge