Author Topic: Tyler Durden, Giant Tool  (Read 2888 times)

Offline VivisMom

Tyler Durden, Giant Tool
« on: March 10, 2008, 08:49:47 AM »
No conversions, but I still think this should qualify as a bouncy. :bouncy:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2981896

Tyler Durden  (1000+ posts)       Mon Mar-10-08 09:38 AM
Original message
This will comfort you or scare the shit out of you, depending on your take. 
 Advertisements [?]Edited on Mon Mar-10-08 09:41 AM by Tyler Durden
There was a post in VIDEO regarding the average IQ of the American Public, and balancing smart people versus less intelligent. The problem was that the poster was defining the MEAN, not the average.

The AVERAGE IQ of the American Public from the basic IQ tests is always 100 because that's the way it's defined. The absolutely terrifying part of this (to me at least) is that for anyone scoring on the High Side, there are people scoring on the Low Side balancing them out. Here's how this works:

If you define x as the number of persons in a sample below the line (defined as LoIQ) needed to balance out a person of High IQ (defined as HiIQ), the formula is very simple, about 6th grade Algebra. It looks like this:

100=(HiIQ+(x*LoIQ))/(x+1)

If you want the number of persons needed to balance a given HiIQ, sub in the LoIQ and solve for x. This also works for LoIQ and x as long as you sub in a least 2 of the 3 variables.

So if Albert Einstein had a 150 IQ, using the formula you'd need 5 persons with a 90 to balance him out. This doesn't get really scary until you sub in say, Marilyn Vos Savant who is documented at IQ=200. Using the same LoIQ, you'd need 85.7 people with a 90 to balance her, or say in even numbers of 10 persons with IQ=90.

If you're curious about me, you would need 10 persons with IQ=93.3. Do the math.

I'm on the "scares the living shit out of me" side if you're curious about that.

:blah: :blah: :blah: :tool2:

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
Re: Tyler Durden, Giant Tool
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 08:58:27 AM »
Why is it that you NEVER EVER EVER read a post by someone online who has less than a 130 IQ?  Seriously, there are NOT that many smart people in this world.  Maybe they just don't admit to having a 110 IQ or lower?  Tyler Durden can't even keep a job as a toilet cleaner at McDonald's with all of his incredible intelligence. :bs:
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline VivisMom

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 09:03:12 AM »
Why is it that you NEVER EVER EVER read a post by someone online who has less than a 130 IQ?  Seriously, there are NOT that many smart people in this world.  Maybe they just don't admit to having a 110 IQ or lower?  Tyler Durden can't even keep a job as a toilet cleaner at McDonald's with all of his incredible intelligence. :bs:

He's "too smart" for that job...and for "too smart" read "too lazy". Just like everyone else on DU is "too smart" to hold down a job.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 09:15:43 AM »
He is also 6' 3", weighs 195 lbs., and has a 14-inch penis.  :whatever:
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline djones520

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 09:26:10 AM »
This post inspired me to do an online IQ test.

IQtest.com had a pretty challenging test.  Gave me a score of 126.  From what I read online, that would make me of a "Very superior intelligence".

Anyone else care to test theres?

http://www.iqtest.com/prep.html?test=final&PHPSESSID=40901ed325d9c2d823ae9c44e5af5443
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 09:28:56 AM »
Huh? I'm pretty smart, but I don't get this rant at all. IQ tests have always been controversial. I also have never heard of anyone being told that their score is affected by others who have also taken the test. Your score is your score. Period. You make a "130", then you make a "130". Who cares where everyone else is ranked?

Methinks the dirtbag has been taking online IQ tests again and wants to brag and/or complain.

Or am I missing something???
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline jukin

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 09:38:39 AM »
DUmmies lies, DUmmies lie all the time.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline daveman

• Please excuse my
  • Revolution we can believe in!
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 09:39:50 AM »
This post inspired me to do an online IQ test.

IQtest.com had a pretty challenging test.  Gave me a score of 126.  From what I read online, that would make me of a "Very superior intelligence".

Anyone else care to test theres?

http://www.iqtest.com/prep.html?test=final&PHPSESSID=40901ed325d9c2d823ae9c44e5af5443
Thanks for the warning that it'd cost ten bucks.  
This space for rent.

Offline djones520

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 09:41:43 AM »
No it doesn't.  To get a full comprehensive breakdown it does, but to get the score, it's free.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline daveman

• Please excuse my
  • Revolution we can believe in!
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 09:44:09 AM »
No it doesn't.  To get a full comprehensive breakdown it does, but to get the score, it's free.
Yeah.  Sorry.  It just came in my email.  I got a 124.  Others I've taken, both on-line and paper-type, range from 124-130. 
This space for rent.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 11:33:39 AM »
141.  Same as usually tested.  Usually been between 140-148.  Guess I'm getting old and slow.

BTW--it's painfully apparent that Tyler here hasn't heard of, let alone used, a simple bell curve.

Oh, and Einstein's IQ was estimated at over 160, but estimates vary widely.  However, it certainly wasn't over 200 as some claim.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 11:45:15 AM »
Wow! you fellas is smart.I'm only scored a 26...... :-) :-)

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 12:45:54 PM »
Ill have to try to remember this test while Im not infected with the flu. At the moment, I have just enough available brainpower to keep myself alive :(

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 01:49:24 PM »
Hmmmm seems a little odd.  When I went to take the test it told me I had already taken it.  I clicked on take it again and now I can't find a score. 

If one of y'all get emailed a test score that looks like a phone number ..... it's mine!   :lmao:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 01:59:26 PM »
Ill have to try to remember this test while Im not infected with the flu. At the moment, I have just enough available brainpower to keep myself alive :(

Meh--it's okay, but not perfect.  Kind of reminds me of a Wonderlic test.  Speed counts in the test daveman linked to, but only under certain areas of the Stanford-Binet or other adult-based IQ tests is time really a factor.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 02:00:53 PM »

Actually, the REAL IQ test was there.  If you paid money to be told how "smrat" you were, you failed already.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 02:02:04 PM »

If one of y'all get emailed a test score that looks like a phone number ..... it's mine!   :lmao:

And yet you jump out of perfectly good airplanes?  I call bullshit.   :tongue:

Offline djones520

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 02:07:15 PM »

Meh--it's okay, but not perfect.  Kind of reminds me of a Wonderlic test.  Speed counts in the test daveman linked to, but only under certain areas of the Stanford-Binet or other adult-based IQ tests is time really a factor.

Hey, don't be gettin all confused over Avatars.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 02:08:02 PM »

And yet you jump out of perfectly good airplanes?  I call bullshit.   :tongue:

LOL Well, let me ask you ..... have you ever seen a 'Perfectly Good Airplane'?   :-)

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 02:17:12 PM »
You know, the prevaricating burdened primitive is self-admittedly 55 years old.

Why is the prevaricating burdened primitive acting like he's still in junior high school?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2008, 02:18:27 PM »
^I'll take "Because he's a liberal tool?" for $100 Alex.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle