Author Topic: rice  (Read 15574 times)

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
Re: rice
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2008, 06:56:27 PM »
Can you cook brown rice in the microwave? 

I find white rice very easy to cook, nearly foolproof, in the microwave and I've wanted to try brown rice but am not sure about the differences.

For white rice, I cook it on high for 5 minutes and then 10 minutes at 40% power for 1/4-1/2 a cup of rice.

I suggest investing in a rice cooker.  :wink:
Thanks, I'll look into it.

Cooking white rice in a micro is so easy I thought maybe I just had to alter times and could switch, I did by something like minute brown rice to experiment with.

I was having difficult after moving to my house last year in getting my rice done right on my stove.  I broke down and got a rice cooker.  It's super easy.  You just scoop in the rice, water to the line and turn on.  It's perfect every time.   

This is the one I have rice cooker and it's only $15.
Thanks again!

I'm all about easy.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
Re: rice
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2008, 06:33:39 PM »
I love rice, but I usually make it a chinese style fried rice.  It doesn't get much easier.

Boil/cook your rice, put aside
In a non stick, add a little cannola oil, and add onions, green onions, mushrooms and shrimp or chicken (bite size) saute until it's all cooked....
Scramble and egg and fry it....add back rice, soy sauce...and you're done.