Author Topic: Offseason MLB trades: 2009-2010  (Read 5965 times)

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
Offseason MLB trades: 2009-2010
« on: December 15, 2009, 10:59:58 AM »
Looks like Halladay will be a Philly. Lee and Halladay together should get some stuff done. Lackey to the Red Sox...any other rumors/reports/etc?
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
Re: Offseason MLB trades: 2009-2010
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 11:29:32 AM »
Lee is going to the Mariners.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 11:32:31 AM »
Lee is going to the Mariners.

Suddenly a good move becomes a terrible one. I'd rather have Lee right now. Now, Lee AND Hernandez could get some stuff done. M's need some bats, though.

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 11:35:39 AM »
Suddenly a good move becomes a terrible one. I'd rather have Lee right now. Now, Lee AND Hernandez could get some stuff done. M's need some bats, though.

The move seems to have Phillies fans going "WTF, over?" from what I've read on Yahoo and ESPN. It was a three way trade: Halladay to the Phillies, Lee to the Mariners and prospects from both teams to Toronto.

Seattle also picked up Chone Figgins from the Angels in the last week or so.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 11:39:06 AM »
I should note that it's tentative at the moment, since nothings actually been finalized of course.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 11:39:09 AM »
The move seems to have Phillies fans going "WTF, over?" from what I've read on Yahoo and ESPN. It was a three way trade: Halladay to the Phillies, Lee to the Mariners and prospects from both teams to Toronto.

Seattle also picked up Chone Figgins from the Angels in the last week or so.

It's a lateral move at best.

Seattle must be preparing for Ichiro to lose a step, because, I don't think Figgins can hit 2-4 spot with much success.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 12:31:08 PM »
At least Lee & Halladay won't be with the Yankees or Red Sox...at least until the trading deadline.  I consider this a win/win. :-)
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 10:41:29 PM »
And of course, the Angels are just giving away the whole friggin team...

First Figgins, then Lackey, and now that they've signed Matsui to a one-year deal, Vlad is as good as gone, which leaves exactly what in the infield and bullpen?  Sure, Tori will still be a factor in the outfield, but someone has to bust a cap in Gary Matthews--that guy SUCKS.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 09:38:03 AM »
Lackey...YES!  If you can't beat him, buy him.   :hyper:

The RSN would like to thank our newest "farm team" in Anaheim.  Har har!
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 02:34:18 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Aqv4h8YGZ92f53F0LMF57ioRvLYF?slug=ap-oriolesmoves&prov=ap&type=lgns

First Millwood and now this?

Where in the hell are the O's getting all this money?

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 03:33:18 PM »
Something on why the Phillies would let Cliff Lee go--supposedly, they tried to sign Lee to a big extension, but Lee said something to the effect of "CC Sabathia"--as in, give me as much money and years as the Yankees are giving him.  So, they weighed their options, and said, "We could have him for next year, and have the best 1-2 punch in baseball at the top of the rotation, but then all we'd get in return would be two draft picks--or we could trade him and get a really hot prospect."  So, the Mariners now have the best 1-2 punch at the top of their rotation, but it'll only be for a year.  In the meantime, the pitching prospect that the Phillies got from the Mariners is said to be as good as Kyle Drabek, who went to the Blue Jays when they picked up Roy Halliday.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 03:36:13 PM »
I am not enthused about Harden wearing "the Star" next season. Another 4 game season is probably on deck for him.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 12:56:52 PM »
I am not enthused about Harden wearing "the Star" next season. Another 4 game season is probably on deck for him.

Harden is near Cy Young great when healthy.  I think it's a good gamble for the Rangers.  Maybe Nolan can work some magic with him.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 01:00:50 PM »
Milton Bradley traded to Seattle for Carlos Silva

The Cubs have finally found a taker for Milton Bradley in the Seattle Mariners.

Bradley was dealt Friday for pitcher Carlos Silva, who is owed a minimum of $25 million over the next two years, and cash. Bradley is owed $21 million for the next two years.

Silva has been a disappointment after signing with the Mariners after the 2007 season. He was 4-15 in 28 starts in 2008 and 1-3 in only eight games last year while spending most of the season on the disabled list with a shoulder impingement.

With Bradley out of the picture, the new Cub priorities will be to decide what to do with Silva, sign a center fielder (possibly free agent Marlon Byrd) and shore up the bullpen.

While a warm bucket of spit is preferable to Milton Bradley, Silva is positively worthless and he's making more money than Bradley. :banghead:

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 02:09:22 PM »
Harden is near Cy Young great when healthy.  I think it's a good gamble for the Rangers.  Maybe Nolan can work some magic with him.

I hope he can return to his "A's abilities", because, they sure need it.

I probably am just more pissed about losing Millwood. He is the only starting pitcher, besides Feldman and to a lesser degree Hunter, who was worth a damn last season. Derek Holland needs to hit the dusty trail.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 02:17:27 PM »
Milton Bradley traded to Seattle for Carlos Silva

While a warm bucket of spit is preferable to Milton Bradley, Silva is positively worthless and he's making more money than Bradley. :banghead:

I think the Cubs wanted to get rid of Bradley in any way without totally letting him go with pay.  I knew the Cubs would take it in the shorts in dealing him, but I think getting his attitude out of the clubhouse is a good thing.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 02:20:56 PM »
I hope he can return to his "A's abilities", because, they sure need it.

I probably am just more pissed about losing Millwood. He is the only starting pitcher, besides Feldman and to a lesser degree Hunter, who was worth a damn last season. Derek Holland needs to hit the dusty trail.

He pitched very well at times for the Cubs last year, but those pesky injuries kept creeping up.

For once, I'm not as worried about the Rangers pitching as I am about the hitting.  Neftali Feliz may become a starter, and he looks incredible.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 02:23:16 PM »
I think the Cubs wanted to get rid of Bradley in any way without totally letting him go with pay.  I knew the Cubs would take it in the shorts in dealing him, but I think getting his attitude out of the clubhouse is a good thing.

I know they had to get rid of him.  But Silva is simply one of the worst pitchers in the game.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 02:31:23 PM »
He pitched very well at times for the Cubs last year, but those pesky injuries kept creeping up.

For once, I'm not as worried about the Rangers pitching as I am about the hitting.  Neftali Feliz may become a starter, and he looks incredible.

I like our lineup if Young and Kinsler can play to their potential in 90% of the games they're available. Platooning Byrd and Murphy in LF is a good combination I think. Teagarden and Salty behind the plate...Davis needs to show some patience at the plate and not try to lead the league in SO this season. Cruz and Hamilton will be themselves again.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 04:31:01 PM »
I know they had to get rid of him.  But Silva is simply one of the worst pitchers in the game.

What's scary is that Omar Minaya actually considered Carlos Silva as a fall-back option if the Mets didn't land Johan Santana, a couple of years ago.  ('Course, Omar was also thinking of trading for some guy out of Cleveland as a fall-back option, back then--some lefty named Cliff Lee.)

If Silva can hit the bottom of the strike zone, he'll be alright.  Thing is, counting on Silva to hit the bottom of the strike zone on a consistent basis is similar to going to a craps table and going all-in on seven.  You've got a one-in-six chance of actually hitting it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 04:33:53 PM by BlueStateSaint »
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.