Author Topic: Bye Felicia: Florida columnist retires because state is populist and gay-bashing  (Read 51 times)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Florida columnist retires after claiming state has become ‘gay-bashing authoritarian dystopia’
'A nasty, mutant strain of populism has taken hold of Florida and the rest of red-state America. Facts don’t matter,' columnist Fred Grimm wrote

A prominent columnist at the South Florida Sun Sentinel announced his retirement in a column Friday, stating that his decision was motivated by the state becoming a "gay-bashing authoritarian dystopia."

Columnist Fred Grimm said goodbye to his South Florida audience in the piece, recounting his 56-year-long journalism career and lamenting how most people in the state are now supportive MAGA candidates, and opposed to Disney, the LGBTQ movement and other progressive causes.

"Not that it hasn’t been fun chronicling Florida’s descent into a waterlogged, python-infested, uninsurable, hurricane-pummeled, book-banning, gay-bashing authoritarian dystopia, but I’m outta here," Grimm opened his farewell column.

For the first half of the piece, Grimm noted that part of his exit from the industry could be his "old age." "At 76, my arthritic fingers no longer dance along the keyboard," he declared.

He also wondered if he’s just tired of this line of work, noting, "Maybe I’ve been worn down by so many hours staring at a blank computer screen, deadline looming, desperation building and inspiration lagging."

Grimm also offered being burdened by the "cumulative effect of chronicling so many awful disasters" as another possible reason, though he stated that the state’s conservative politics were definitely one of the reasons he is done with the industry.

"Another factor has sucked the joy out of journalism," he said, explaining, "A nasty, mutant strain of populism has taken hold of Florida and the rest of red-state America. Facts don’t matter. Medical science is rejected. Literary masterpieces are banned. Abortion is outlawed. Teachers are persecuted. Disney is villainized. MAGA pols, up to their shins in sunny-day flooding, deny that we’re in the throes of global warming."

Grimm continued with a laundry list of right-wing caricatures to describe the state and the rest of red America’s political leanings.

"Meanwhile, MAGA heroes’ lies, sexual misdeeds and financial shenanigans are dismissed as media inventions. Jury verdicts and fair elections are disparaged as leftwing conspiracies."

https://www.foxnews.com/media/florida-columnist-retires-claiming-state-becoming-gay-bashing-authoritarian-dystopia

:sosad: :sosad: :sosad: :sosad:
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Old n Grumpy

Adios, asshole! That paper is such a rag birds don’t poop on it when you line the cage with it.

I hated the trick that they used to boost circulation, they would give you a free subscription and you would come out and trip over the paper you didn’t want. The worst part was I traveled for work at the time and would come home to find a pile of sodden papers in front of my door. :rant:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline DefiantSix

• Captain, IKV Defiant
  • "Set Condition One throughout the ship."
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus