Author Topic: What's wrong with my laptop  (Read 5550 times)

Offline rightlyamused

• Probationary (Probie)
What's wrong with my laptop
« on: July 24, 2014, 08:37:06 PM »
Posted Today, 01:31 AM

Ok, guys, another problem I hope you will help me with.

But first a personal note.  I have a problem that makes it extremely hard for me to learn from reading a book.  So I ask people who know, and I hope that my questions won't be worrisome.

Here's problem.  I have a Dell Inspirion x1300 running XP.  It was given to me by my boss because the laptop would not work correctly and he bought another one.

virus had gotten on the laptop and corrupted the OS, and I had to reload some drivers.  After a reinstall of the OS, and the reloading of some of the drivers the laptop was working fine.  It only had 512 MB of Ram so I up graded the ram to 2 GB.  The BIOS recognized the Ram, but  when I click on IE and the laptop tries to load my homepage which is Yahoo  I get the message that "There is a problem with this website's security certificate".  The I have the choice of closing the webpage or continuing to the website.  When I click on continue the address bar turns pink and Yahoo loads with everything lined up on the left of the screen.   A bar appears at the top of the webpage the says IE blocked the content to protect my security.  I can click on that bar and select "display blocked content" and Yahoo loads correctly but the address bar remains pink and not all loads.

The laptop worked fine before I upgraded the ram, and when I replaced the original 512 MB ram the laptop continued with the certificate issue.

So what could be the problem.  Thanks. -

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: What's wrong with my laptop
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 08:44:33 PM »
Tools > Internet Options > Security > Internet > Custom Level > Miscellaneous > Display Mixed Content > Enable
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline rightlyamused

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 09:01:15 PM »
Tools > Internet Options > Security > Internet > Custom Level > Miscellaneous > Display Mixed Content > Enable

Thanks for the reply Chris, but no go,  I reset Display Mixed Content to Enable and it is doing the same thing.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 09:59:28 PM »
I had a similar issue when I updated to IE 10.  I'll see if I can find it.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 07:21:58 PM »
Install Google Chrome and see if the problem persists.

Offline rightlyamused

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 07:30:24 PM »
Sorry guys, the battery was bad, had been trying to charge it for two days and it was only 6% charged.  Ordered another battery, unhooked the charger to make sure it didn't overheat, and when I installed the new battery, charged it, and booted the computer I didn't notice the clock was set at Sept 2006.  Synced the clock and it is working fine.   :facepalm2:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 08:21:03 PM »
So a bad battery triggered a security warning in Internet Explorer?

Okay. :whatever:

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 08:37:12 PM »

I won't put anything past Windows. I recently built my first computer and installed Win 7 on it. Everything went smoothly, sort of.

Some of the many hundreds of updates wouldn't install, even doing them manually, including SP1.  Flash also kept crashing, no matter which browser it used.

It turned out that one of the two memory sticks I put in was bad.  :argh:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 08:39:53 PM »
I've seen bad batteries and peripherals do funny stuff, but never a browser error.

Offline rightlyamused

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 09:03:36 PM »
Don't know guys, but I suspect that when I unplugged the charger with the bad battery the clock lost it sync.  When I replaced the battery the computer clock simply went to the year it was built.   Don't know, but guessing.  But that is all I did and the computer is working fine. :) :)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 02:26:20 AM »

No, an incorrect system time will trigger security certificate warnings. I ran across that problem last summer. Reset the system time to current date/. time and the warnings went away.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 02:37:11 AM »
The OP still wasn't clear on which battery it was.  I don't see any mention of a CMOS battery.

Clear as mud.

Offline ardentconservative

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 10:43:40 AM »
The OP still wasn't clear on which battery it was.  I don't see any mention of a CMOS battery.

Clear as mud.

Wasn't the CMOS battery, it was the computer battery.  I had the old battery out of the computer for two days waiting on the new battery.  When I installed the new computer battery the time of the computer was Sept. 2006.  Didn't notice it until I booted one time to try again to find the problem and just happened to notice.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 10:55:13 AM »
I'm sorry, I thought this was rightlyamused's OP?  Who are you?

Offline thundley4

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 11:01:03 AM »

Sockpuppet?

Offline rightlyamused

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 11:01:41 AM »

I am rightlyamused.

Offline rightlyamused

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 11:03:00 AM »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 11:04:20 AM »
What is a sockpuppet?
Duplicate accounts are not permitted here. 

Offline rightlyamused

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »

I only have one, rightlyamused.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 11:34:45 AM »

Looks like someone will need to check the IP addresses.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 11:39:28 AM »
Sorry guys, the battery was bad, had been trying to charge it for two days and it was only 6% charged.  Ordered another battery, unhooked the charger to make sure it didn't overheat, and when I installed the new battery, charged it, and booted the computer I didn't notice the clock was set at Sept 2006.  Synced the clock and it is working fine. 
Wasn't the CMOS battery, it was the computer battery.  I had the old battery out of the computer for two days waiting on the new battery.  When I installed the new computer battery the time of the computer was Sept. 2006.  Didn't notice it until I booted one time to try again to find the problem and just happened to notice.

Offline rightlyamused

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2014, 06:13:05 PM »
Looks like someone will need to check the IP addresses.

Check it.  You didn't ask me if someone used my computer. You intimated that I had two accounts.  I know ardent conservative, and I know why he left the forum.

So if I need to leave I will.  This is not in your face, just wanted to let you know someone else used my computer.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 06:18:02 PM »
And they just happened to answer as you would have under their own name?

Offline rightlyamused

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 08:15:50 PM »
Well, don't know what you mean by this, but I went back over the posts to see what the hoop-lah was about and saw ardent's  name.

The only thing I can tell you is that that post was in response to an email I received that someone had posted to this thread.  I clicked the link, answered and left the forum.

When Ardent's name instead of mine showed up I don't know, but both of us used that same computer.  If I remember right he left before I registered.

I have my browser set to automatically sign in when I go to site's I use. I don't know what else to tell you.

But it seems to be a problem, and there are many computer sites I can use.  The only reason I posted this thread is there are some on the forum that are really computer savy. Sorry I caused any problem.