Author Topic: DUmp monkeys discuss being social misfits,assholes and lunatics.  (Read 1084 times)

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10027247652

Fri Oct 9, 2015, 03:14 PM

Capt. Obvious (7,787 posts)

Do you hate loud typing? Loud eating? Slurping?
You may have a condition known as misophonia.

Please Stop Making That Noise

I can’t stand it when someone behind me at a movie chews popcorn with his or her mouth open. I mean, I really can’t stand it.

I have misophonia, a condition with which certain sounds can drive someone into a burst of rage or disgust. Although only identified and named in the last 20 years, misophonia has been enthusiastically embraced, with websites, Facebook pages and conferences drawing small armies of frustrated visitors.

As a primary care physician, I find that misophonia can present some special challenges: At times, my patients can be the source of annoying sounds. At other times, the condition can be a source of special bonding if I realize that a patient is a fellow sufferer.

The range of responses to these noises is broad, from irritation to disgust to anger. Some sufferers even respond with verbal or physical aggression to those making the noises. One woman reported wanting to strangle her boyfriend in response to his chewing.

Researchers are only beginning to understand the science behind misophonia, but early data suggest a hyperconnectivity between the auditory system and the limbic system, a part of the brain responsible for generating emotions. Some studies have found associations between misophonia and other psychiatric conditions, such as obsessive compulsive disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder, but many sufferers appear to have no other major emotional problems. Dr. Schröder and other researchers are developing specific diagnostic criteria.

For me, one of the most frustrating aspects of misophonia is what I call the “incredulity factor.” For years, I could not believe that my friends and relatives were not getting as upset at what I considered rude behaviors. They were getting frustrated with me for focusing on sounds they did not really hear.

NYTimes

My god, I thought I was alone. I live in daily rage at the loud typers, slurpers, eaters, etc. It drives me to levels extreme anger to hear that repetitive shit. When I can I wear headphones with music blaring to block it all out.

You are a nutbag.

Response to Capt. Obvious (Original post)

Fri Oct 9, 2015, 03:16 PM

msongs (37,260 posts)
1. gum poppers, talking republicans, jesus proselytizers...endless list lol nt

Response to edgineered (Reply #36)

Fri Oct 9, 2015, 11:06 PM

Star Member NJCher (18,724 posts)
73. hearing nail clipping makes me crazy

It makes me think about where the clipping is landing. If the clipper is clipping the nails over a wastebasket (ideal), it would still bother me, but not as much as imagining that nail flying onto the rug. or landing on a counter.

Eeeeeks, I'm squirming, just thinking of it.

Cher

Response to NJCher (Reply #73)

Fri Oct 9, 2015, 11:21 PM

Star Member edgineered (1,521 posts)
77. ha! Nice to know another sane, reasonable, considerate person!

Trimmings are about the nastiest waste there is.

or landing on a counter
- that's bad, and we'll leave it there, thank you very much!

Response to edgineered (Reply #77)

Sat Oct 10, 2015, 10:02 AM

Star Member NJCher (18,724 posts)
90. I actually quit a job over that

Yeah, thought about mentioning it in my post, but figured people would take me for a real crazy. But here's the story, anyway.

I had a job that required me to travel. A good-sized expense account allowed me to stay in nice places, but even the nice places have people who miss a few things now and then.

This was one of my first jobs out of college, and I was finding that I didn't like travel all that well. Kind of depressed at being away from my home, I checked into my hotel room and sat down on the bed to make a phone call. I happened to look at a little tray that was next to the bed. It was supposed to have chocolates in it, but instead it had....nail clippings. The previous occupant's nail clippings.

That was it. I called the management, who had someone come and remove the clippings. That was the last night I spent "on the road."

Cher

Yet you thought this was great. :puke:

Fri Oct 9, 2015, 03:42 PM

Octafish (48,965 posts)
8. Pencils.

They get to me.

They were made by BOOOOOOOSH!

Fri Oct 9, 2015, 03:56 PM

unblock (27,115 posts)
12. honey, is that you?

it took me a rather long time to get past the cognitive dissonance of mrs. unblock professing her undying love for me, yet she would get annoyed at nearly everything i did, or so it seemed. worse, she could make the same noises herself and of course it wouldn't phase her in the least.

the clacking of utensils, fork on bowl or rarely, fork on teeth, e.g., is a particular annoyance for her., but there are many sounds that she cannot stand.

earplugs have saved our marriage! i have to raise my voice to talk to her (itself a source of mutual annoyance) but overall it's a big improvement!

She just discovered what an asshole you were so shuts you out.

Fri Oct 9, 2015, 04:02 PM

nruthie (212 posts)
17. Oh God, do I ever.

Heavy breathing, stuffy noses, wheezing, slurping, snoring, etc....makes me feel like physically attacking people. It is something I am unable to control. Nice to know there is a name for this condition. Now if someone could just figure out how to fix it!

Fri Oct 9, 2015, 04:10 PM

NuclearDem (13,804 posts)
18. No, you're absolutely not alone on this one.

Cellophane, silverware, swallowing, ice chewing, crunching of popcorn and potato chips, and a whole bunch of other things drive my sister and I absolutely up the wall.

Fri Oct 9, 2015, 04:50 PM

Star Member valerief (47,177 posts)
20. The bass from other people's TVs, radios, and stereos drives me insane. nt

Trust me,it was a short trip.

Fri Oct 9, 2015, 05:29 PM

me b zola (18,254 posts)
27. Mouth noises

The sounds of (other people) kissing make me ill. M dogs licking themselves.They are getting pretty good about going to the next room or outside if they want to lick themselves.

:lmao:

Fri Oct 9, 2015, 05:59 PM

snagglepuss (11,076 posts)
31. Do I ever. Also intensely hate hearing those sounds in films

when some genius sound director decides to bump up the volume of whispers, clinking glasses , heavy breathing and what not.

Slurping and loud typing are in the top 10 of most hated sounds.

Fri Oct 9, 2015, 07:50 PM

Star Member REP (20,847 posts)
41. Loud eating/slurping/etc make me sick to my stomach

Those "cute" commercials with children eating with their mouths open, making nasty noises are stomach churning. I've had "the talk" with my husband about not chewing so damned loud. Loud fidgeting bothers the **** out of me, too. Whistling, tuneless humming, repetitive mumbling of nonsense words ... arrrrrgh.

Loud music, though - no problem. Music or dialogue just below threshold of being able to be heard clearly? Rage-inducing.

Fri Oct 9, 2015, 10:11 PM

Star Member BlueJazz (23,888 posts)
61. Clapping drives this nut, nutty. Those people at movies that make noises..crinkle, crackle, crinkle,

..slurp, snort, cough, rustle, crinkle, crackle, slurp, slurp, CRINKLE, SLUUURRRPP, SNOOORT.

I'm ashamed (kinda') to admit this but I actually stood up once, turned around and told the couple behind me. "You either finish that ****in' candy bar and your other assorted noises or I'll stick the thing up your asses" That was 12 years ago. I'm nicer now..I wait until the movie is over.

Sat Oct 10, 2015, 12:57 PM

artislife (2,950 posts)
99. I suffer too!

Years of riding on the bus, just getting more upset because they always sat right behind me! I had a Nigerian roommate and even though I know it was his culture, the lip smacking, grunting while eating was rage enducing. I only ate once with him, could not stand it.

The sound of another person vacuuming makes me seethe, could be that my mother would do it right in front of me, pushing the machined under my feet until I would get up and just take over. It seems like the definition of what passive aggressive behavior sounds like...lol.

I do have PSTS, though.

And you creatures still think you are the normal ones?
I can hear the disability claims being filled out.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Re: DUmp monkeys discuss being social misfits,assholes and lunatics.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 06:48:58 AM »
Can one of the DUmp's resident evolutionists explain this to us?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 07:18:55 AM »
In other words, normal every day sounds, that are made by normal ordinary people every day, drive them nuts?

I'm amazed these people get out of bed and are capable of feeding themselves.

Liberals disgust me.
Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 07:20:03 AM »
I do have PSTS, though.

:o  Huh?

These are the people who are going to round us up after their victory in the coming Civil War.  Next week, right (D)Ummies?

::)

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 07:49:19 AM »
Can one of the DUmp's resident evolutionists explain this to us?

I believe we're seeing the 'Also rans' in that whole sexual selection thing.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 07:53:59 AM »
:o  Huh?

These are the people who are going to round us up after their victory in the coming Civil War.  Next week, right (D)Ummies?

::)

Lay in a 10-year supply of bubble gum and corn nuts and you'll be able drive them away from you, screaming and sobbing!

:thatsright: The Psychology and Psychiatry people need to define a new mental disease comprised of people who believe every aspect of life they find annoying is a mental disease of some kind. :thatsright:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Delmar

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 08:08:03 AM »
Response to Capt. Obvious (Original post)Fri Oct 9, 2015, 10:11 PM
Star Member BlueJazz (23,888 posts)
61. Clapping drives this nut, nutty. Those people at movies that make noises..crinkle, crackle, crinkle,

..slurp, snort, cough, rustle, crinkle, crackle, slurp, slurp, CRINKLE, SLUUURRRPP, SNOOORT.

I'm ashamed (kinda') to admit this but I actually stood up once, turned around and told the couple behind me. "You either finish that ****in' candy bar and your other assorted noises or I'll stick the thing up your asses" That was 12 years ago. I'm nicer now..I wait until the movie is over.
Response to Capt. Obvious (Original post)Fri Oct 9, 2015, 11:09 PM
Star Member LiberalElite (8,848 posts)
74. OOOOOH YES!

Gum snapping!!!! DO NOT DO THAT AROUND ME! I once was on a line in a store and the woman behind me snapped gum, maybe only once. I turned around and turned the high beams on her  such that she sincerely apologized without my saying a word.   

Also, absent minded crushing of water bottles (e.g., the ones used by Poland Spring) that have been made kind of flimsy probably for recycling purposes. They make a crinkly kind of racket when nearly empty and pressure is applied. DON'T DO IT. I WILL GLARE AT YOU, TOO.

Last but by no means least, it is not necessary to POUND THE KEYBOARD and it contributes to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome SO DON'T DO THAT EITHER.

"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 12:25:22 PM »
 Just because they put a name to something doesn't mean your not insane.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 01:53:31 PM »

I don't care for loud noises, I cannot stand listening to people talk as they eat, and repetitive noises bother me.

Guess what, though: that's MY problem. If I don't like it, I get to deal with it. I don't require laws and set-asides to deal with my issues, and I especially don't threaten people in theaters with violence.

NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 02:13:30 PM »
Rather than waste my color ink, I go to the library to print color copies on occasion.  A while back, a 50ish year old woman was talking on her cell loudly, uncontrollably weeping because she got disconnected from her online game.

Wanted to slug her with a bag of oranges.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 02:31:13 PM »
Rather than waste my color ink, I go to the library to print color copies on occasion.  A while back, a 50ish year old woman was talking on her cell loudly, uncontrollably weeping because she got disconnected from her online game.

Wanted to slug her with a bag of oranges.

She would prefer that to the bag of nickels I would use, and the bag of dicks I would leave at her feet.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 07:27:18 PM »
I have one thing that really annoys me to the point of wanting to punch the person.  When his supporters say is a super genius and a great speaker, but every other word is me or I. And when he isn't saying me or I, he is going Um, uh, um.

Offline jukin

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 08:07:19 PM »
These guys would totally kick our asses in a shooting war. Totally....in their own minds.

Want to hear some loud noises? Come try to my guns away. Lots of loud noises. You will not go into a rage, you will assume room temperature.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.