Author Topic: Japanese Ships in Halifax  (Read 2410 times)

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
Japanese Ships in Halifax
« on: August 16, 2011, 05:59:51 PM »
There were several Japanese ships from Japans Navy in Halifax this weekend, just one of the many stops on a world tour they're doing. I decided to go to the city and see them.

All of these were taken on a Minolta x-370 with 25ISO Kodak Ektar 35mm film and while they look great on the print they didn't scan (300dpi) quite as well as I hoped they would. As you can tell I'm a bit out of practice using film and my camera in general.

I also never fixed the white edges in photoshop.

Still, enjoy:)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Japanese Ships in Halifax
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 06:04:41 PM »
Did I read that right, ISO 25?

The slowest I ever saw when I was doing film photography was ISO 100. :(
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 06:08:02 PM »
Did I read that right, ISO 25?

The slowest I ever saw when I was doing film photography was ISO 100. :(

Yes 25ISO is correct. I like the film because it's very share and has nice colours, neither of white show in the scanned versions.

When I shoot in broad daylight I most often use 100 or less.

These aren't all the images I got and the prints are far, far superior as my scanner sucks.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 06:11:05 PM »
I can force my DSLR to run @ ISO 100, but that's as slow as it will go.  I usually leave it on auto for point-and-shoot stuff which is all I do anymore.

Galen Rowell used to use ISO 64 and slower... the man was a magician.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 06:14:22 PM »
I can force my DSLR to run @ ISO 100, but that's as slow as it will go.  I usually leave it on auto for point-and-shoot stuff which is all I do anymore.

I might get a DSLR someday, but for the amount I use my camera and the amount of stuff I'd need to replace it's just cheaper for me to keep using film.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 06:17:51 PM »
The only reason I got a DSLR was my deteriorating eyesight... I needed something with autofocus.

I figured out how to (mostly) adjust the diopter/eyepiece on the camera to compensate for my vision, so my pictures aren't as bad as they used to be.  I'm still working on it.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 07:37:03 PM »
Nice shots, will they sail into Pearl on their world tour I wonder.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 07:40:57 PM »

If I recall that was part of their plan.

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 11:06:21 PM »
No doubt they will. When I was stationed at Marine Barracks Pearl Harbor in the 80's Japanese ships were fairly frequent visitors. I never saw the rising sun flag on them though and I know I read somewhere that flag was outlawed after WWII. Jap ships that I saw in Pearl flew the meatball flag, just a red dot on a white background with no rays.

It was because of stuff like this that MacArthur (IIRC) outlawed the rising sun flag for post war Japan, of his own accord and at the behest of all other allied governments that had faced Japanese aggression in the Pacific. I believe it was written right into their post war constitution that the rising sun flag and the royal chrysanthemum as well were taboo, never more to be displayed. According to Wiki those little  :censored: resurrected their damn war flag in '54.

When American ships are entering or leaving Pearl Harbor they always observe the custom of manning the rail and saluting the remains of the U.S.S. Arizona as they pass her. I witnessed first hand many times that the Japanese do not.

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 09:28:48 AM »
They need to have that "Defense Only" provision stripped off so we can get the hell out of Korea. Japan would handle those f'ers. As for any threat to us, they aren't that stupid and they know any attack on us would end in disaster for both their military and their economy.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 11:53:23 AM »

When I was a kid I used to have an old Kodak Duaflex camera that needed 620 film.  IIRC, I occasionally got ISO 64.  Older 35mm stuff was ISO 64 as well, but you're right, most of the time when I did 35mm stuff I did the ISO 100-200-400.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 12:31:44 PM »
Cool Pics Compaq.  Post more when you can, I have one of your water pics as a desktop right now.  :)

I need to stock up on more before all of you expires.   :-)
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent