Author Topic: Was I too harsh on a former student of mine...  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Georgia Bulldog

Was I too harsh on a former student of mine...
« on: July 14, 2009, 08:56:25 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6058009#6058161

wndycty  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Jul-13-09 04:14 PM
Original message
Was I too harsh on a former student of mine who posted an ignorant comment about Sotomayor. . .

Edited on Mon Jul-13-09 04:14 PM by wndycty
. . .on my Facebook page? LOL

former student at: 2:59pm July 13
You maybe right on Graham but Sotomayer is even worse. She has NO business on the Supreme Court and is the biggest bigot in the world!!!!

me at: 3:10pm July 13
{name redacted former student] your calling Sotomayor a bigot shows your base and simple ignorance. I am not sure what type of basic understanding race, racism and the struggles of people of color you have but its obvious you get your talking points from the hatemongers on the right who prey on low information voters like yourself. Seriously, even her critics in Congress... Read More... who took issue with some her comments didn't call her a bigot or racist because they know she isn't.

Sorry to get so personal but you calling her a bigot shows you to be nothing more than an ignorant low information voter who I encourage to debate me further on the issue. Bring it on and show the world, as well as my facebook friends how truly stupid you are. So you made the accusation that she is a bigot, now I want your ignorant uniformed ass to back it up. . .seriously bring it on.

Naturally this brings out the compassion the liberals are known to have...

Ian David  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Jul-13-09 04:15 PM
Response to Original message
1. You forgot to tell him to suck it.   Updated at 11:59 AM

Other than that, it was fine.

orestes  (524 posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Jul-13-09 04:16 PM
2. Former student? Then no.

I would say No if they were a current student too, if I weren't so sure they would cry to mommy and daddy about how much of a meanie you are.

SPedigrees  (238 posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Jul-13-09 04:18 PM
3. Gee, ya think?

Edited on Mon Jul-13-09 04:20 PM by SPedigrees
"bring it on!" ? If I were a professional I would safeguard my professional reputation while online, particularly to former students (or clients, whatever) by acting like a professional.

While I agree with your viewpoint, there is an adult and professional way in which to state an opinion.

wndycty  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Jul-13-09 04:28 PM
Response to Reply #3
9. Well my reputation on campus is a little different, I am sort of known as take no prisoners when...

. . .when it comes to politics and students take my classes for that reason.

calico1  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Jul-13-09 04:19 PM
4. You were a little too easy on him(her). LOL n/t

Klukie  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Jul-13-09 04:21 PM
5. Not at all...

he made the accusation..therefore the burden is on him to back it up...Had he disputed your views on Graham and asked you to back them up, I'm quite sure you would have obliged him.

countingbluecars  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Jul-13-09 04:25 PM
6. Well, you obviously stopped

being a teacher in this case. Insults don't usually open up minds.

HiFructosePronSyrup  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Jul-13-09 04:27 PM
Response to Reply #6
8. Oh, I think the dipshit got a lesson.

noiretextatique  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Jul-13-09 04:26 PM
7. no....

you told him he was parroting a rw lie.

Egnever  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Jul-13-09 04:28 PM
10. Yes

Not because you are wrong but it could have been worded much better. It comes across as a rant. Not something I would personally want to have the school board looking at should a problem ever arise.

mitchum  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Jul-13-09 04:31 PM
11. What was the quality of his or her work as a student?

I can only imagine...

Warpy  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Jul-13-09 04:41 PM
12. I don't think you were hard enough

and I might have been inclined to draw the little peckerwood out a little longer, find out exactly what makes him feel compelled to call her a racist, and then snap the jaws of the trap shut on his pencil neck after he'd been exposed as a total idiot to the whole world.

Then, I'm still sick, sick of it, and not feeling charitable at all.

The_Commonist  Donating Member  (521 posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Jul-13-09 04:44 PM
13. "...how truly stupid you are."

That's the part I think you should have left out.
The rest of it was fine.

MADem  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Jul-13-09 04:46 PM
14. I think you would have been better off not getting "personal" at all, and instead,

dismantling the argument of the student. First, I'd have forced the little shithead to pony up a few facts in support of his assertions, and then I would have--in an entirely academic fashion, mind you--twisted off his head and crapped down his windpipe.

Ya gotta get 'em on the quality of their ideas, though. Name calling (ignorant low information voter, how truly stupid you are, ignorant uninformed ass) and posturing (bring it on) doesn't do the trick. Make the little shit cough up facts to support his thesis, and then dismantle his "facts" and --again, academically, using words, arguments, points of view--make him eat them.

Oh well. The horse is out of the barn. Never get mad at them, though--they LIKE it when you do that. When they make you lose your cool, they've "won." At least, so they think.

Caliman73  Donating Member  (840 posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Jul-13-09 04:58 PM
Response to Reply #14
18. I agree

Edited on Mon Jul-13-09 04:58 PM by Caliman73
I think that the best way to get to people who are just espousing some canned response is to question them until they aren't sure as to why they held their opinion in the first place. My wife is very good at doing that when she keeps her temper from getting the better of her.

Calling people names and putting them into categories is fine and dandy for when you are hanging out with friends, but not for a serious debate, even with a relatively ignorant opponent.

timeforpeace  (732 posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Jul-13-09 04:50 PM
15. Way to refute his argument point by point.

ayeshahaqqiqa  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Jul-13-09 04:53 PM
16. except for one word,

Edited on Mon Jul-13-09 04:56 PM by ayeshahaqqiqa
namely *ss, I think it is fine. I'm old, and use of such words isn't something I do. On second thought, and because I've read the other posts now, I'd add that I'd probably take the personal comments out. But it appears you are a college professor, so perhaps that might not make a difference. My experience in education is with elementary and pre-school children, and you do talk to them differently--even when they have grown up (old habits die hard).

Obamanaut  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Jul-13-09 04:56 PM
17. K&R. This post made me smile out loud. nt (that's a big grin)

Laelth  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Jul-13-09 04:59 PM
19. Former student? Hopefully no longer enrolled in the school?

If both those assumptions are true, that student is fair game. If either is untrue, I would say you went too far. However, I fully understand your anger and your desire to "further educate" that former student, but I doubt you'll ever hear from him or her.

wndycty  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Jul-13-09 05:02 PM
Original message
Graduated 2 years ago

Soylent Brice  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Jul-13-09 05:02 PM
20. you left chewed up pieces of his ass all over the internet tubez.   Updated at 9:18 AM

PWNED.

jody  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Jul-13-09 05:03 PM
21. IMO yes. n/t

Raineyb  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Jul-13-09 05:07 PM
22. I see no reason why you should give the little bigot any consideration

He posted to YOUR page you're entitled to rip him a new one.

Why is there so much hand wringing about the feelings of some dipshit bigot when we don't seem to have nearly as much consideration for the feelings of those who would end up as victims of said bigot.

:shrug:

I'm no diplomat though so you might want to take my words with a grain of salt.

I'm not surprised that most of them would support the Dummie. My question is, why is this student even on this idiot's Facebook?
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile -- hoping it will eat him last.

Winston Churchill
1874-1965, British Statesman, Prime Minister

The Democrats say that the United States has had its days in the sun, that our nation has passed its zenith. My fellow citizens, I utterly reject that view.

Ronald Reagan
40th US President, 1911-2004

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Was I too harsh on a former student of mine...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 09:37:28 AM »
Oh my.

With Ma and Pa Kettle in the White House, Democrats controlling both houses of Congress, everybody in the world loving America, the economy on track, full stomaches and healthy bodies, it's all strawberries-and-cream for the primitives.

But the primitives are still miserable.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline lastparker

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 09:39:29 AM »
Seriously, even her critics in Congress... Read More... who took issue with some her comments didn't call her a bigot or racist because they know she isn't.

Well, duh.  She's not white and therefore CAN'T be racist.

:whatever:
Cursing is the crutch of the inarticulate mother****er, DUmmies.   -NHSparky

Deadbeats eating mushroom duxelles and dandelion salad with a shallot vinaigrette are still deadbeats.    -GOBUCKS

Offline lastparker

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 09:42:03 AM »
So you made the accusation that she is a bigot, now I want your ignorant uniformed ass to back it up. . .seriously bring it on.

What kind of uniform? 
Cursing is the crutch of the inarticulate mother****er, DUmmies.   -NHSparky

Deadbeats eating mushroom duxelles and dandelion salad with a shallot vinaigrette are still deadbeats.    -GOBUCKS

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 09:51:03 AM »
Former student or not, her reaction was completely unprofessional, and I sincerely hope that her student sends a copy of her response to the Dean, or school board, or whoever is in charge. 

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 09:54:31 AM »
You know, it's odd.  Every "racist" I know is either black or Hispanic.
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline jukin

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 09:57:52 AM »
When will the silly, ill-informed, hate monger of a former student learn that only white people can be racists?

When you start with 1+1=3 nothing else can be correct after that. When a racist is a racist (1+1=2) but not a racist because they are not white the argument is lost.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 09:58:30 AM »
Sorry to get so personal but you calling her a bigot shows you to be nothing more than an ignorant low information voter who I encourage to debate me further on the issue. Bring it on and show the world, as well as my facebook friends how truly stupid you are. So you made the accusation that she is a bigot, now I want your ignorant uniformed ass to back it up. . .seriously bring it on.

If my child (grown or not) were in your school, your ass would be grass.

He posted to YOUR page you're entitled to rip him a new one.

So, if this Facebook were to be shared with the school Dean, that woulden't be a problem, would it?

when it comes to politics and students take my classes for that reason.

People, THIS is why our education system is so ****ed up.

What does this asshole teach? General dipshittery?
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 10:30:59 AM »
anyone found it's facebook page yet?
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 01:34:36 PM »
You know, I wrote something questioning Sotomeyer's reputation on my facebook and even though I was only dealing with my friends of varying professions, not one of them responded in such an insulting manner. This person is indeed over the top and it's a teacher....yay! :whatever:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 01:56:09 PM »
low information voters
New LIBERAL term? Sounds like a bouncy to me. It was probably writing both sides of the exchange. :bs: :bs:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline tuolumnejim

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 02:00:53 PM »
I wonder if anyone at the DUmp might tell said DUmmie that anyone that did or still does belong to "La Raza" is a racist, just like Sotomayor.  :thatsright:

Link

Sotomayor’s La Raza Uses Taxpayer Money for Radical Agenda
by  Robert M. Engstrom

06/15/2009

If a group of United States citizens trekked to another country, formed an organization called “The Race,” which demanded open borders, unfettered immigration and citizenship, billions of dollars for bilingual education, health care, housing, job and wage guarantees, and anti-discrimination protection, they would likely soon be jailed or deported in a display of righteous sovereign indignation. But the National Council of La Raza engages in all these activities in the United States, and it receives taxpayer dollars to help promote its radical views. 

Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor is a member of La Raza. That membership and her own statements have led to many challenges to her suitability for the High Court. Critics of the organization and its goals have frequently been labeled as racists, but that didn’t stop former Rep. Tom Tancredo (R.-Colo.) from calling La Raza a leftist radical group “a Latino KKK without the hoods or the nooses.” 

La Raza, founded in 1968 by Raul Yzaguirre, takes its name from “La Raza Cosmica,” a phrase coined by Mexican scholar Jose Vasconcelos. The English translation, and the first definition found in Spanish/English dictionaries, for “la raza” is “the race.”  Contrary to La Raza’s contention that the phrase means “the people,” or “the community,” the Spanish for those phrases are “la gente,” and “la comunidad.” 

In 2005, La Raza received $15.2 million in federal grant money for charter schools and get-out-the-vote campaigns and in 2006 got another $4 million in congressional earmarks for housing reform. The organization’s financial statements for 2008 show that it received another $5.1 million in federal grants, and holds assets worth $97.4 million. La Raza has received more than $30 million from the federal government since 1996. 

The Council of La Raza arranged to have its voice included in congressional hearings by House and Senate leaders and garnered an extra $4 million in federal tax funds earmarked by an anonymous senator in 2007 while continuing to lobby for open borders, driver’s licenses for illegals, and amnesty leading to citizenship for all illegal immigrants in the country. 

Many of Mexico’s leading politicians encourage the takeover of sovereign U.S. property, and La Raza encourages those statements, while offering advice about avoiding the terms “illegals” and “amnesty.” Former Mexican President Felipe Calderon told Mexicans in a state of the nation address that “Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico.” In 1995, President Ernesto Zedillo told a group of U.S. citizens of Hispanic descent in Dallas that “You are Mexicans, Mexicans who live North of the border,” suggesting they owed a higher allegiance to Mexico than the United States. Zedillo brought a 1997 La Raza gathering in Chicago to its feet in applause when he said that the Mexican nation extends beyond the territory enclosed by its borders. All those statements accord with the accusations of the colonialism that the U.S. is constantly accused of pursuing by its enemies. 

La Raza endorsed the 2007 Citizenship Promotion Act, introduced by then-Sen. Barack Obama. The purpose of this act was to limit the costs of applying to become a citizen of the United States, but another provision of the bill would have distributed $80 million to pro-illegal immigration organizations, some of which are suspected of having links to the Mexican government. 

In the name of diversity, La Raza encourages Latinos to cling to the language and customs of their home country after becoming citizens of the U.S. Those not “brown enough” are derided, as was Linda Chavez when she was considered for the position of Labor secretary under President George W. Bush. Rather than taking pride in the accomplishments of a female of Hispanic descent, critics mocked her as “the Hispanic who doesn’t speak Spanish.” While Chavez was under fire, the National Hispanic Leadership Association, an umbrella group representing 40 different Hispanic groups, including La Raza, condemned the federal Office of Personnel Management for failing to promote and hire Hispanics. 

Obama laid claim to the Hispanic vote in a 2007 speech before the La Raza Council in which he said, “Find out how many senators appeared before an immigration rally last year. Who was talking the talk, and who walked the walk -- because I walked.” Obama characterized the 2007 Senate debate on immigration as “ugly and racist” and promised to make amnesty a priority of his presidency. 

In the 2006 demonstrations Obama marched in, protestors carried signs reading, “Gringo Go Home,” and “This Is Our Land, Not Yours.” American flags were burned and desecrated by Hispanics wearing Che Guevara T-shirts and carrying Mexican flags while waving Communist and anarchist banners. La Raza advised the organizers of the 2007 demonstrations held in 40-plus cities to keep such incendiary symbols to a minimum. 

To gain Hispanic support for his presidential bid, in 2007 Obama voted against amendments that would have facilitated the deportation of illegal immigrant gang members, convicted criminals, and terrorists. He also voted against legislation to enable state and local law enforcement officers to inquire about a person’s immigration status, then twice co-sponsored, but failed to get passage of, La Raza-backed legislation that would have granted citizenship and education benefits to minor illegal aliens and amnesty for their extended families. The border, national security and immigration policies that La Raza and Obama support, along with the healthcare and social welfare programs needed to accommodate the increase in immigration they are promoting, would mean spending and tax hikes that critics predict could bankrupt the American middle class. Spending on undocumented immigrants in the four states bordering Mexico now totals more than $200 million each year.

La Raza, through a network of 300 affiliates in 41 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, says that it “advocates on behalf of the entire Latino population regardless of immigration status.” 

Much has already been said about the Sotomayor’s much-quoted statement about “a wise Latina woman” being better qualified to serve as a judge. President Barak Obama and his staff have downplayed Sotomayor’s statement, its meaning and context, but few have focused on her opening remarks in that same speech in which she said: “I intend tonight to touch upon the themes that this conference will be discussing this weekend and to talk to you about my Latina identity, where it came from, and the influence I perceive it has on my presence on the bench.”

The White House characterized Sotomayor’s comments as an off-the-cuff misstatement that has been taken out of context, but the prepared text of the full speech makes a mockery of that attempt to spin attention away from the meaning and intent of her words. The speech was written for and delivered at the University of California, Berkeley, School of Law’s Judge Mario G. Olmos Memorial Lecture and later printed in the La Raza Law Journal for a symposium on “Raising the Bar: Latino and Latina Presence in the Judiciary and the Struggle for Representation.” 

Sotomayor has also served on the board of directors of the Latino Justice/Puerto Rican Legal Defense Fund which, like La Raza, also opposes enforcing immigration laws, securing the border and supports amnesty for those already in this country illegally.

A people... who are possessed of the spirit of commerce, who see and who will pursue their advantages may achieve almost anything.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to Benjamin Harrison

"Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 04:36:54 PM »
Not a one of them or the op addresses the arguments put forth....surprise huh. :whatever:

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 06:43:49 PM »
{name redacted former student] your calling Sotomayor a bigot shows your base and simple ignorance. I am not sure what type of basic understanding race, racism and the struggles of people of color you have...

I don't give a hoot in Hell what "struggles" people of color have had to "endure" or whatever, racism is racism, and Sotomayer is an F'n racist....
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 07:06:11 PM »
I have quite a few old college mates on my facebook. We went to a well known ultra liberal campus of the University of California. (Think nationally covered foaming mouthed anti chimpy mcbushhitler resolutions, and the female chancellor's girlfriend jumping off a roof.) Out of all of them, only one has overcome her brainwashing like me. She is rather timid about letting on that she has moved to the Dark Side though, so generally keeps her mouth shut. All the rest of them are as bad, or even worse liberal tools than they were 30 years ago in college. If they say something really stupid on their own page, I may take a poke at them on occasion. But more often I will just post links to choice news stories on my own wall. So far, the only one to remove me from their friend's list is a female cousin of mine, who is a total raving Obama fellater. But I'm sure they all shake their heads at me in silence.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 08:06:15 PM »
Oh my.

With Ma and Pa Kettle in the White House, Democrats controlling both houses of Congress, everybody in the world loving America, the economy on track, full stomaches and healthy bodies, it's all strawberries-and-cream for the primitives.

But the primitives are still miserable.

The tolerance for dissent and free speech at DU is legendary