Author Topic: Ever try a DUmmy recipe?  (Read 13214 times)

Offline lastparker

Ever try a DUmmy recipe?
« on: October 30, 2013, 08:13:08 AM »
I did last night.  It came about because I was STARVING while perusing our site and frank is always linking to their cooking and baking forum, and next thing I knew, I had stumbled upon this:

bif (15,696 posts)

Chorizo and black bean soup

http://cookingwiththemark.blogspot.com

Ingredients
1 pound chorizo sausages
a bunch of greens, chopped   I used baby spinach and did NOT chop it - just removed the stems
1 medium size onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T cumin
black pepper to taste
6 cups reduced sodium chicken broth or stock
1/2 c dry sherry   I skipped this - my sherry is ancient and needs to be thrown out, plus it goes more with cream based soups - if you need extra liquid, I recommend using a good beer
Cheddar cheese, shredded   I skipped this as well, but would probably be good - I had cheddar biscuits on the side

Directions
Grill the chorizo until nicely browned. Let cool and chop into bite size pieces. In a large pot, sauté onion until soft. Add green pepper and garlic and sauté for 5 or 6 minutes. Add broth, chorizo. beans, greens, cumin, black pepper, and 1/4 cup sherry. Cook for 1/2 hour or so. Add the rest of the sherry about 10 minutes before serving. Pass a bowl of cheddar cheese to top the soup.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/115733138

Of course, I had to tweak it a bit, so my updates are in bold.  It turned out great!  Even the picky kids liked it!  And it was a good meal for the diabetic husband. Every once in awhile, I can find a smidgen of common ground with a DUmmy.
Cursing is the crutch of the inarticulate mother****er, DUmmies.   -NHSparky

Deadbeats eating mushroom duxelles and dandelion salad with a shallot vinaigrette are still deadbeats.    -GOBUCKS

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Ever try a DUmmy recipe?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 09:54:49 AM »
I did last night.  It came about because I was STARVING while perusing our site and frank is always linking to their cooking and baking forum, and next thing I knew, I had stumbled upon this:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/115733138

Of course, I had to tweak it a bit, so my updates are in bold.  It turned out great!  Even the picky kids liked it!  And it was a good meal for the diabetic husband. Every once in awhile, I can find a smidgen of common ground with a DUmmy.

I have, I can't recall which one it was, but yep.  And that looks pretty good too.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 07:11:38 AM »
One of my moles posts recipes at the DUmp.

No cross-posting, though. I won't make it that easy for the DUmmies to find me!
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 11:12:33 AM »
There's a recipe for chicken enchiladas some chick named Pam put up there I've been wanting to try...to see if the dog'll eat it.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 06:13:30 PM »
There's a recipe for chicken enchiladas some chick named Pam put up there I've been wanting to try...to see if the dog'll eat it.

"Hello, Animal Rescue?"

"Help!"

Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 06:22:57 PM »
Wrong use of Chorizo.

It isn't like a hard sausage that can be grilled.  That would be salchichas.

Chorizo breaks down into small bits that are to be mixed (with huevos which I love or refritos which I also love con queso).

Terrible recipe with what DUmmies think is Chorizo.

They got that as wrong as everything else.

BTW: I go to Mexico many times a year and have been enjoying Chorizo con huevos for 40+ years.

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 06:24:53 PM »
One of my moles posts recipes at the DUmp.

No cross-posting, though. I won't make it that easy for the DUmmies to find me!

I love mole'!

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Purple Sage

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 10:27:05 AM »
Wrong use of Chorizo.

It isn't like a hard sausage that can be grilled.  That would be salchichas.

Yes indeed!  I was shocked the OP said it was good.  A pound of Chorizo?!?!  For a diabetic.  Chorizo is mostly orange grease.  Delicious in small amounts mixed with eggs or queso fundido, but a pound in soup?  Holy guacamole!  Heart attack city!
I've known some pathological liars in my time, but 0 takes the prize.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 10:37:48 AM »
Yes indeed!  I was shocked the OP said it was good.  A pound of Chorizo?!?!  For a diabetic.  Chorizo is mostly orange grease.  Delicious in small amounts mixed with eggs or queso fundido, but a pound in soup?  Holy guacamole!  Heart attack city!
I don't use more than 4-8 ounces for a large pan of paella.  I've never used a whole pound, and I sure wouldn't put that much in soup.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Purple Sage

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 10:42:46 AM »
I don't use more than 4-8 ounces for a large pan of paella.  I've never used a whole pound, and I sure wouldn't put that much in soup.

Yumm!  Good stuff.  Paella is one of my favorite foods.
I've known some pathological liars in my time, but 0 takes the prize.

Offline Karin

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 02:50:18 PM »
I've never worked with chorizo, but the soup recipe does sound good, maybe with a different kind of protein.   I'd hit it with a splash of lemon juice, as well. 

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 03:00:37 PM »
I thought about trying that DUmbass' recipe for a grilled cheese, but decided against it.

Edit - This one
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender