Author Topic: ‘Wrong sex’ IVF twins abandoned  (Read 2438 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
‘Wrong sex’ IVF twins abandoned
« on: May 29, 2008, 09:55:54 AM »
A couple who travelled to India for IVF treatment dumped their newborn twin girls for being the “wrong sex” after they were delivered in Wolverhampton, it was claimed today.

The couple, who are living in Birmingham, took the trip to India for fertility treatment which would not have been allowed in Britain because of their age.

But the 59-year-old mother and 72-year-old father reportedly told doctors that they did not want the babies immediately after they were born by Caesarean Section at New Cross Hospital because they wanted boys.

The twins were born at New Cross because maternity wards at a hospital closer to where the Indian-born parents lived were full.

The youngsters were transferred to a hospital in central Birmingham, where it is believed they have had no visits since being born two weeks ago.

It has been reported that the husband asked medics how long it would be before his wife was fit enough to fly back to India for more IVF treatment in the hope of getting a boy to continue the family name.

http://www.expressandstar.com/2008/05/29/wrong-sex-ivf-twins-abandoned/

This story makes me so angry, the only good thing about is that at least the little girls weren't aborted as frequently happens in places and cultures where male offspring are prized.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Re: ‘Wrong sex’ IVF twins abandoned
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 11:25:16 AM »
A couple who travelled to India for IVF treatment dumped their newborn twin girls for being the “wrong sex” after they were delivered in Wolverhampton, it was claimed today.

The couple, who are living in Birmingham, took the trip to India for fertility treatment which would not have been allowed in Britain because of their age.

But the 59-year-old mother and 72-year-old father reportedly told doctors that they did not want the babies immediately after they were born by Caesarean Section at New Cross Hospital because they wanted boys.

The twins were born at New Cross because maternity wards at a hospital closer to where the Indian-born parents lived were full.

The youngsters were transferred to a hospital in central Birmingham, where it is believed they have had no visits since being born two weeks ago.

It has been reported that the husband asked medics how long it would be before his wife was fit enough to fly back to India for more IVF treatment in the hope of getting a boy to continue the family name.

http://www.expressandstar.com/2008/05/29/wrong-sex-ivf-twins-abandoned/

This story makes me so angry, the only good thing about is that at least the little girls weren't aborted as frequently happens in places and cultures where male offspring are prized.

I had the same first thought, Bijou. I had heard of the execrable practice of abortion for sex selection, but this is the first I had heard of dumping a baby after birth because it wasn't the preferred sex.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 11:32:29 AM »
Look at it this way...  some couple somewhere who cannot have children and desperately want to adopt, just got the opportunity to have twin girls.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 11:33:40 AM »
Look at it this way...  some couple somewhere who cannot have children and desperately want to adopt, just got the opportunity to have twin girls.
The twins will probably end up better off, anyways.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 11:48:18 AM »
Hopefully , they will be allowed to be adopted together, and not split up.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 12:43:21 PM »
Yes they will be adopted together, the British courts would not approve twins being split up except in an extreme circumstance and even then they would ensure that they remained in regular contact with each other so they grew up knowing their twin.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 01:05:00 PM »
Yes they will be adopted together, the British courts would not approve twins being split up except in an extreme circumstance and even then they would ensure that they remained in regular contact with each other so they grew up knowing their twin.

wow.  british courts go to that trouble in the case of twins?  now there's a case of government involvement that I can live with. :-)

Offline Zafod Beeblebrox

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 02:43:21 PM »

wow.  british courts go to that trouble in the case of twins?  now there's a case of government involvement that I can live with. :-)

me too.

I hate reading stories like this.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 05:21:57 PM »

+1

those "parents" were not fit to raise children.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 07:08:58 PM »
What horrible people. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 08:19:12 PM »
Thats the kind of assholery that makes me want to bitchslap both of those so-called parents.