Author Topic: Potato king J.R. Simplot, U.S. fry innovator, dies  (Read 951 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Potato king J.R. Simplot, U.S. fry innovator, dies
« on: May 26, 2008, 04:07:20 PM »
BOISE, Idaho (Reuters) - J.R. Simplot, the billionaire founder of the Boise, Idaho-based agriculture business that bears his name and who helped make French fries a staple of the American diet and waistline, died on Sunday at the age of 99, officials said.

After pioneering the first commercial frozen French fry in the late 1940s, Simplot eventually became a major supplier of Idaho potatoes to McDonald's, Burger King and Wendy's. His privately held company, where he was chairman emeritus, reported $3.3 billion in sales in 2006.

An official at the Ada County Coroner's office said Simplot died at home on Sunday morning of natural causes.

link

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Potato king J.R. Simplot, U.S. fry innovator, dies
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 05:06:28 PM »
NOOOOOOO!!!!!  :bawl:

Rest in peace, Mr. Simplot.  You have made this world a better place.

*sniff*  :usflag:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 06:02:04 PM »
That's right - thanks for the french fries, J.R., I'm a big fan of them.

When I was lurking at the dump a little while ago, there were all these snide remarks to this thread - someone commented that he must not have eaten much of what he invented, since he lived to be a ripe old age. Gracious, as always. :whatever:

R.I.P., Mr. Simplot.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 07:41:07 PM »
RIP Mr. Simplot. I cannot imagine life without your innovations!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle