Author Topic: TV's 'Laugh-In' Comic Dick Martin Dies at 86  (Read 1396 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
TV's 'Laugh-In' Comic Dick Martin Dies at 86
« on: May 25, 2008, 01:45:24 PM »
LOS ANGELES —  Dick Martin, the zany half of the comedy team whose "Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In" took television by storm in the 1960s, making stars of Goldie Hawn and Lily Tomlin and creating such national catch-phrases as "Sock it to me!" has died. He was 86.

Martin, who went on to become one of television's busiest directors after splitting with Dan Rowan in the late 1970s, died Saturday night of respiratory complications at a hospital in Santa Monica, family spokesman Barry Greenberg said.

"He had had some pretty severe respiratory problems for many years, and he had pretty much stopped breathing a week ago," Greenberg said.

Martin had lost the use of one of his lungs as a teenager, and needed supplemental oxygen for most of the day in his later years.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,358021,00.html

My parents were pretty strict about tv watching, but Laugh In was something they didn't mind me watching even though at that age I didn't get all the jokes.

RIP.  :(

Offline Airwolf

Re: TV's 'Laugh-In' Comic Dick Martin Dies at 86
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 06:55:02 PM »
Even with the left leaning, Anti Vietnam war stuff Laugh In was funny.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 07:23:16 PM »
"Time to say goodnight, Dick".  :rimshot:

:bawl:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 07:26:30 PM »
Well, if that does crease your bippy. 

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 07:39:18 PM »
LOS ANGELES —  Dick Martin, the zany half of the comedy team whose "Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In" took television by storm in the 1960s, making stars of Goldie Hawn and Lily Tomlin and creating such national catch-phrases as "Sock it to me!" has died. He was 86.

Martin, who went on to become one of television's busiest directors after splitting with Dan Rowan in the late 1970s, died Saturday night of respiratory complications at a hospital in Santa Monica, family spokesman Barry Greenberg said.

"He had had some pretty severe respiratory problems for many years, and he had pretty much stopped breathing a week ago," Greenberg said.

Martin had lost the use of one of his lungs as a teenager, and needed supplemental oxygen for most of the day in his later years.

My parents were pretty strict about tv watching, but Laugh In was something they didn't mind me watching even though at that age I didn't get all the jokes.

exact same thing here.  watching laugh in, and not getting a single bit of it, is one of my earliest conscious memories.

well, I think goldie hawn may have had something to do with that.

RIP, Dick Martin.  you made millions of people laugh.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 08:05:23 PM »

exact same thing here.  watching laugh in, and not getting a single bit of it, is one of my earliest conscious memories.

well, I think goldie hawn may have had something to do with that.

RIP, Dick Martin.  you made millions of people laugh.

I was 13 when it debuted.  You were 3.  Goldie Hawn looked like a lunchwagon to you.  I was two weeks away from being 19, married w/child, when it went off.  You were 8. 

I was fortunate.  I understood it all.  My parents didn't "get it".