Author Topic: Report: Titanic Discovery Was Cold War Cover-Up  (Read 2013 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Report: Titanic Discovery Was Cold War Cover-Up
« on: May 25, 2008, 09:28:05 AM »
The man who located the wreck of the Titanic has revealed that the discovery was a cover-up for the real mission of inspecting the wrecks of two Cold War nuclear submarines.

When Bob Ballard led a team that pinpointed the wreckage of the liner in 1985, he had already completed his main task of finding out what happened to USS Thresher and USS Scorpion.

Both of the U.S. Navy vessels sank during the 1960s, killing more than 200 men and giving rise to fears that at least one of them, Scorpion, had been sunk by the Soviet Union.

Ballard, an oceanographer, has admitted that he located and inspected the wrecks for the U.S. Navy in top secret missions before he was allowed to search for the Titanic.

A robotic underwater craft, which Ballard developed in the early 1980s, mapped the submarine wreck sites. Then, he was able to use it to crisscross the North Atlantic seabed to pinpoint the final resting place of the luxury liner. He had only 12 days to do so.

Ballard said what he had seen during the inspection of the submarine wrecks gave him the idea of finding a trail of debris that would lead to the main sections of the Titanic. Thresher, had imploded deep beneath the surface and had broken up into thousands of pieces and Scorpion was almost as completely destroyed.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,358029,00.html
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Report: Titanic Discovery Was Cold War Cover-Up
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 09:40:35 AM »
This info was declassified some time ago.  It worked out well for both Ballard and the Pentagon, for they both got what they wanted out of the deal. 

Way to go, Pentagon!   

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 06:29:08 PM »
The man who located the wreck of the Titanic has revealed that the discovery was a cover-up for the real mission of inspecting the wrecks of two Cold War nuclear submarines.

When Bob Ballard led a team that pinpointed the wreckage of the liner in 1985, he had already completed his main task of finding out what happened to USS Thresher and USS Scorpion.

Both of the U.S. Navy vessels sank during the 1960s, killing more than 200 men and giving rise to fears that at least one of them, Scorpion, had been sunk by the Soviet Union.

Ballard, an oceanographer, has admitted that he located and inspected the wrecks for the U.S. Navy in top secret missions before he was allowed to search for the Titanic.

A robotic underwater craft, which Ballard developed in the early 1980s, mapped the submarine wreck sites. Then, he was able to use it to crisscross the North Atlantic seabed to pinpoint the final resting place of the luxury liner. He had only 12 days to do so.

Ballard said what he had seen during the inspection of the submarine wrecks gave him the idea of finding a trail of debris that would lead to the main sections of the Titanic. Thresher, had imploded deep beneath the surface and had broken up into thousands of pieces and Scorpion was almost as completely destroyed.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,358029,00.html

Coverup?  Hell, this has been known for years.  Where the **** have these "journalists" been? :whatever:
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 06:38:19 PM »
Question.

USS Thresher went down, I believe, in 1963.

USS Scorpion went down, I believe, in 1939.

This story isn't going down franksolich.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline JohnMatrix

• admirer of Sir Edward Tylor
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 06:46:21 PM »
Question.

Scorpion was lost in 1968.
LadyLiberty does not like my mother because I speak Spanish to her in public.

yes snuggly bunny, i voted for RON PAUL.

Mr.Mann is obsessed with me.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 06:47:40 PM »
Question.

Well, damn, what was the one that went down in 1939?

I thought that was USS Scorpion.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline JohnMatrix

• admirer of Sir Edward Tylor
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 07:11:34 PM »
Question.

Well, damn, what was the one that went down in 1939?

I thought that was USS Scorpion.

there was a submarine in WW2 that went down with the same name, thats probably where you got the other one from.
LadyLiberty does not like my mother because I speak Spanish to her in public.

yes snuggly bunny, i voted for RON PAUL.

Mr.Mann is obsessed with me.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 07:51:32 PM »

this is such a fascinating story.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 08:59:39 PM »
there was a submarine in WW2 that went down with the same name, thats probably where you got the other one from.

Yeah, after I signed off, I remembered.

It was the USS Squalus that went down in 1939, and the USS Sculpin that tried to rescue it.

I'm not fond of giving things similar-sounding names.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 09:07:57 PM »

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 09:10:57 PM »

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 10:22:53 PM »
Interesting, I never knew this.  Sounds like everyone made out well in the deal.  :)
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 08:43:44 AM »
Question.

Actually, he's talking about USS Scorpion (SSN-589), which went down off the Azores in 1968.

And Bob Ballard (having met him once, actually), is a pompous, arrogant, self-serving prick.

BTW, Bob?  Thank John Pena for finding the Scorpion, ya douchebag.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford