Author Topic: Harkin Suggests Military Background Makes McCain Unfit to be Commander-in-Chief  (Read 4221 times)

Offline Periwinkle

• Probationary (Probie)
Hope this is the right forum, it's the lead story on FoxNews right now.

Harkin Suggests Military Background Makes McCain Unfit to be Commander-in-Chief
by FOXNews.com
Thursday, May 22, 2008

Iowa Sen. Tom Harkin is catching grief for suggesting John McCain’s family history of military service makes the presumptive Republican presidential nominee unfit to be commander-in-chief.

Harkin, who has a history of embellishing his own military record, told Iowa reporters last week that McCain’s background as the son and grandson of Navy admirals creates a “dangerous” situation because he can only view the world through the prism of the military.

“He has a hard time thinking beyond that,” Harkin said, according to The Des Moines Register. “I think he’s trapped in that. Everything is looked at from his life experiences, from always having been in the military, and I think that can be pretty dangerous.”

The paper also quotes Iowa’s junior senator telling reporters, “It’s one thing to have been drafted and served, but another thing when you come from generations of military people and that’s just how you’re steeped, how you’ve learned, how you’ve grown up.”

WTF?  Am I the only one who veiws these comments a direct attack and insult to all American Military families?  May I be the first to say F%^& You Tom.[/font][/color]

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Thanks for finding that article, Peri.  Harkin's moronic comments have been making the rounds for a few days, but I didn't have the time to find them.

Harkin is a disgrace to his office, not to mention a liar about his own military record.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Willow

• Limousine
typical Democrat whole ass!  :naughty:

Offline Periwinkle

• Probationary (Probie)
Thanks for finding that article, Peri.  Harkin's moronic comments have been making the rounds for a few days, but I didn't have the time to find them.

Harkin is a disgrace to his office, not to mention a liar about his own military record.

No problem, Ralph.  This is the first I've read about this and it infuriates me. 

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour

has harkin had a stroke or something? :banghead: :censored: :bird: :mental:

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
I'm confused.

Harkin blasts President Bush for his alleged lack of military service...now he says McCain has too much?

Who the  :censored: is this guy?  Goldilocks?

I guess telling everyone you were a fighter jock when you were just a ferry pilot in the military is the "just right" balance of military service.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
He's a POS poser. We're documenting all of the attacks on McCain's military experience here.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Airwolf

No. He'a always been an asshole. I have first hand knowledge of it and the familys had to experiance it.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Airwolf

I'm confused.

Harkin blasts President Bush for his alleged lack of military service...now he says McCain has too much?

Who the  :censored: is this guy?  Goldilocks?

I guess telling everyone you were a fighter jock when you were just a ferry pilot in the military is the "just right" balance of military service.

Tom Harkins only award for "His Combat experiance" was to only get one ribbon for The NAtional Defense Service Ribbon.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_155912.html

In 1984, Sen. Barry Goldwater wrote to the Des Moines Register saying, "I have seen the Navy record of Mr. Harkin, which is in the public domain, and there's nothing to indicate he ever flew in combat, or even in Vietnam. In fact, the only decoration he lists is the National Defense Service Medal, which was awarded to everyone who served his country during a given period of time."

MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Offline Lacarnut

Could be, Ya know dem Dummies like to put their heads together.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour

I don't think someone is allowed to be a democrat unless they, to use bill clinton's immortal phrase, "loathe the military".  they just avoid such lapses of immoderate honesty like the one harkin just suffered.

Offline Airwolf

I don't think someone is allowed to be a democrat unless they, to use bill clinton's immortal phrase, "loathe the military".  they just avoid such lapses of immoderate honesty like the one harkin just suffered.

Except Harkin served long enough in the Navy to fill his contract as an officer then bailed as soon as he could to go into politics.
MOLON LABE

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Tom Harkins only award for "His Combat experiance" was to only get one ribbon for The National Defense Service Ribbon.

When I was in that was like the second Army Service Ribbon. I think I got mine as soon as I finished basic.

Harkin, you are no Tom in Tib.  :uhsure:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Tom Harkins only award for "His Combat experiance" was to only get one ribbon for The National Defense Service Ribbon.

When I was in that was like the second Army Service Ribbon. I think I got mine as soon as I finished basic.

Well, Tit-boy can claim to be the "Second most decorated enlisted sailor ever" (provably false, even if he had won the Navy Cross as he claims), but Harkin could probably claim to be the "Second least decorated US pilot ever."

:rotf:   
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Airwolf

Well, Tit-boy can claim to be the "Second most decorated enlisted sailor ever" (provably false, even if he had won the Navy Cross as he claims), but Harkin could probably claim to be the "Second least decorated US pilot ever."

To my limited knowledge of flying for the Military. I would think that the last place any pilot would want to be is being relegated to the status of just flying jets to and from maintenance depots.
MOLON LABE

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
Sounds to me that Harkin needs to have his treasonous neck stretched.
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline DumbAss Tanker

To my limited knowledge of flying for the Military. I would think that the last place any pilot would want to be is being relegated to the status of just flying jets to and from maintenance depots.

It does sound like the short bus of military aviation, and is fraught with the possibility of your fellow pilots sticking you with a damning nickname like "Fairy Pilot."

:evillaugh:

Offline RGSG99

• Homeschooling and loving it!
  • Just Off Probation
WTF?  Am I the only one who veiws these comments a direct attack and insult to all American Military families?  May I be the first to say F%^& You Tom.

No...you are not wrong.   :bird: for Harkin.
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule.
– H.L. Mencken

Offline Airwolf

It does sound like the short bus of military aviation, and is fraught with the possibility of your fellow pilots sticking you with a damning nickname like "Fairy Pilot."

:evillaugh:

Now that you mention it. I don't recall him ever giving the press any call sign given to hin or if they themselves even asked. So it probably came to be something like "Tinkerbell" or "Dumbass Liberal "
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 09:58:34 AM by Airwolf »
MOLON LABE

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
Dear Senator Harkin;
                            I have had family involved in every single conflict from the war for independence from Britain to our latest little scrape with the islamokazies.  I do believe, Senator, that your slight against Senator McCain for coming from a military family shows nothing more than absolute jealousy and treason.  Although I personally would not cross the street to piss on Senator McCain if he were on fire, I would probably go out of my way to throw a fresh copy of the New York Times on you if you were in the same predicament.

It is my personal opinion that having real military experience makes one infinitely more qualified for the office of President of The United States than your sorry ass or a former first bitch or even the magic negro rookie.

In closing I would recommend that the next time you have a thought, do us a favor and let it go.  It would be better for you to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Sincerely,
             Wasp69 (USN)
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Airwolf

Dear Senator Harkin;
                            I have had family involved in every single conflict from the war for independence from Britain to our latest little scrape with the islamokazies.  I do believe, Senator, that your slight against Senator McCain for coming from a military family shows nothing more than absolute jealousy and treason.  Although I personally would not cross the street to piss on Senator McCain if he were on fire, I would probably go out of my way to throw a fresh copy of the New York Times on you if you were in the same predicament.

It is my personal opinion that having real military experience makes one infinitely more qualified for the office of President of The United States than your sorry ass or a former first bitch or even the magic negro rookie.

In closing I would recommend that the next time you have a thought, do us a favor and let it go.  It would be better for you to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Sincerely,
             Wasp69 (USN)

Hi5
MOLON LABE

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!

No, actually--he would be LEAST decorated ever.  Airdales tie their shoes and zip up their pants and they get Navy Achievement Medals.  What this tells me is that Harkin, at least while he was in the Navy (and as it appears, afterwards as well) one of the greatest cluster****s ever to grace a uniform.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline DumbAss Tanker

No, actually--he would be LEAST decorated ever.  Airdales tie their shoes and zip up their pants and they get Navy Achievement Medals.  What this tells me is that Harkin, at least while he was in the Navy (and as it appears, afterwards as well) one of the greatest cluster****s ever to grace a uniform.

Well, I was giving him a totally undeserved benefit of the doubt there, figuring there must be some ex-ensign somewhere living in a desert hippy commune that came up hot on a piss test the day after getting his 'Wings of Gold' and actually came out of the Navy with an NDSM and zip else (or not even that between '75 and '90).

Offline Airwolf

Tom Harkins only award for "His Combat experience" was to only get one ribbon for The National Defense Service Ribbon.

Well, I was giving him a totally undeserved benefit of the doubt there, figuring there must be some ex-ensign somewhere living in a desert hippy commune that came up hot on a piss test the day after getting his 'Wings of Gold' and actually came out of the Navy with an NDSM and zip else (or not even that between '75 and '90).

Speaking from a personal standpoint. Don't ever give Tom Harkin any kind of doubt. Only a splooge like him would do the things he has done and have no one hold him responsible. Take a good look at who is in this picture. Two of the worst Senators next to Fat Teddy trying to sell out the United State to the President of Nicaragua

MOLON LABE

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Communists.  Man, do I hate Communists.