Author Topic: Pelosi Gets Quiet Reaction In Iraq  (Read 1720 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Pelosi Gets Quiet Reaction In Iraq
« on: May 19, 2008, 05:45:21 PM »
The arrival of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who came to Baghdad on Saturday with a congressional delegation, set off a now-familiar cycle of reaction in the Iraqi capital. First there was buzz around the city about flight delays from Baghdad International Airport, which goes into lockdown when VIPs land or takeoff. Since no dust storms were grounding flights, anyone traveling could have assumed some American bigwig was heading in. But when local TV reported the visitor was House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, there was a collective shrug of the kind you might expect from Republicans catching a glimpse of her somewhere in McCain country.

Pelosi is something of a nonentity to average Iraqis. If they know who she is at all, she is generally seen as an antiwar caricature figure, someone whose views on U.S. troop withdrawals are widely considered unrealistic. Pelosi has said she wants to begin withdrawal of troops this year with a goal for the U.S to be out of Iraq by the end of 2009. It is a time frame virtually no Iraqi political leader sees as feasible. Not even Mahdi Army militia leader Moqtada al-Sadr, the fiercest advocate of a U.S. withdrawal on the scene, has called for such a rapid withdrawal of U.S. forces.

The lack of popularity of Pelosi's views was evident in the fact that her first day on the ground Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki did not make an effort to see her. Maliki is currently in the northern city of Mosul overseeing a crackdown on insurgent networks there. But the city has been largely quiet in recent days, and there was no obvious pressing reason for the Prime Minister to skip Pelosi's arrival.

Pelosi may not get much more warmth from the American military leaders she plans to meet either. Pelosi argued against sending additional surge forces to Iraq, a plan overseen by Gen. David Petraeus that is now widely credited with reducing the levels of violence in Iraq.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1807442,00.html
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Airwolf

Re: Pelosi Gets Quiet Reaction In Iraq
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 05:56:58 PM »
Even the Iraqis hate Skeletor.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Lauri

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 06:25:20 PM »
wonder what Nancy thinks of liberal Time reducing her to a mere footnote in history.

if i was her, i'd resign right this minute. that's embarassing that even the militia leader whose side you are on, thinks youre an idiot.

Offline Bluesuiter-Retired

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 11:21:39 AM »
Kind of reminds me of Hitlery's thanksgiving visit to Iraq -- even the troopers from 10th Mountain Division from Fort Drum NY wanted nothing to do with her.  From what I hear, the division commander had to practically order the troops to make an appearance.

Hell, the troopers were downright happier than pigs in a mud hole when President Bush made an unannounced appearance at the dining hall.  They knew who has their back.
America - Love It, or LEAVE

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 11:59:29 AM »
Great...I think that this is the reaction that she certainly richly deserves.   I hope she gets the "rotten fruit" treatment at some point in her visit.......a time-honored middle eastern tradition.....

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline THA HOUSTON PIMP IS IN DA HOUZ!

• I pimp; you GET pimped.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 12:13:25 PM »
wonder what Nancy thinks of liberal Time reducing her to a mere footnote in history.

if i was her, i'd resign right this minute. that's embarassing that even the militia leader whose side you are on, thinks youre an idiot.

Hold up though; remember, this it TIME we're talking about.

Did yall read this little caveat?

But for all of Pelosi's unpopularity, in many ways she got a nicer arrival treatment than the last senior female American official to appear in Baghdad, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. Rice slipped into Iraq in January much the same way Pelosi did today — stealthily, with a terse confirmation by the U.S. embassy offering few details of the agenda. But within hours of Rice's arrival, TV news was crackling with word of it, and soon thereafter a volley of mortars fell on the Green Zone in an obvious message from Rice's detractors. No rockets or mortars were heard heading into the Green Zone today as word of Pelosi's presence hit the Iraqi airwaves in what amounted to a daytime news blip.

So you see, even when they report the truth about Pelosi unpopularity, they have to put in a dig at one of Bush's cabinet members.

In Time's world, mortars are launched only when Bush supporters are over there.

Tools.

:censored: :redbird: :argh:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 12:19:05 PM »

But for all of Pelosi's unpopularity, in many ways she got a nicer arrival treatment than the last senior female American official to appear in Baghdad, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. Rice slipped into Iraq in January much the same way Pelosi did today — stealthily, with a terse confirmation by the U.S. embassy offering few details of the agenda. But within hours of Rice's arrival, TV news was crackling with word of it, and soon thereafter a volley of mortars fell on the Green Zone in an obvious message from Rice's detractors. No rockets or mortars were heard heading into the Green Zone today as word of Pelosi's presence hit the Iraqi airwaves in what amounted to a daytime news blip.

So you see, even when they report the truth about Pelosi unpopularity, they have to put in a dig at one of Bush's cabinet members.

Tools.

I think it is more likely interpreted as....Pelosi isn't worth wasting mortar ammunition on......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 12:25:19 PM »

Tools.

You think that Al Qaeda fired rockets in the hope of blowing up Dr. Rice, who is an important member of their enemy. :???: They thought that Bela Pelosi wasn't even worth the expense of a single rocker, because she's a nobody. :uhsure:
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 12:30:40 PM »

I think it is more likely interpreted as....Pelosi isn't worth wasting mortar ammunition on......

doc
[/quote]

More like, why would the terrorists want to kill an anti-war liberal appeaser who espouses our beliefs.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 02:53:40 PM »

doc

More like, why would the terrorists want to kill an anti-war liberal appeaser who espouses our beliefs.

Exactly.  Why waste ammo when your "ally" is doing your job for you?
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 04:01:24 PM »
She is so self-absorbed she'll spin it into something else in her own deluded head. 
This just solidifies my belief that the liberals are seen as nothing more than nuisances in the "real" world.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 01:17:11 PM »

Tools.

yeah, they did throw her a bone in the article, but even the most stupid lib will see its a jab at their highest office holding female.

that's why i was surprised it was Time doing it; they typically treat all the Liberal half wits with kid gloves... maybe Nancy is on her way out? she hasnt done squat, so maybe the backlash is starting to brew?