Author Topic: Woman Is Indicted in Missouri MySpace Suicide Case  (Read 2218 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Woman Is Indicted in Missouri MySpace Suicide Case
« on: May 15, 2008, 02:17:52 PM »

it's pretty easy to indict someone, but this case could set some precedents regarding
internet behavior liability.

Woman Is Indicted in Missouri MySpace Suicide Case
Jury indicts woman for alleged role in MySpace online hoax played on girl who committed suicide

A federal grand jury on Thursday indicted a Missouri woman for her alleged role in perpetrating a MySpace online hoax on a 13-year-old neighbor girl who committed suicide.

Lori Drew of suburban St. Louis was charged with one count of conspiracy and three counts of accessing protected computers without authorization to obtain information to inflict emotional distress on the girl.

Drew allegedly helped create a false-identity MySpace account to contact Megan Meier, who thought she was chatting with a 16-year-old boy named "Josh Evans."

Megan hanged herself at home in October 2006 after receiving cruel messages, including one stating the world would be better off without her.

Drew has denied creating the account and sending messages to Megan.

MySpace, a social networking site, is based in Beverly Hills. The indictment noted that computer servers are located in Los Angeles County.

Due to juvenile privacy rules, the indictment refers to the girl as M.T.M., the U.S. attorney's office said.

The conspiracy count carries a maximum penalty of five years in federal prison. Each count of accessing protected computers carries a maximum possible penalty of five years in prison.

Last month, 19-year-old Ashley Grills, an employee of Drew, told ABC's "Good Morning America" she created the false MySpace profile, but said Drew wrote some of the messages to Megan.

Grills also claimed Drew suggested talking to Megan via the Internet to find out what Megan was saying about her daughter, who was a former friend.

Grills also said she wrote the message to Megan about the world being a better place without her. The message was supposed to end the online relationship with "Josh" because Grills felt the joke had gone too far.

"I was trying to get her angry so she would leave him alone and I could get rid of the whole MySpace," Grills told the morning show.

Megan's death was investigated by Missouri authorities, but no state charges were filed.

More

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Re: Woman Is Indicted in Missouri MySpace Suicide Case
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 02:24:09 PM »
The most hated woman in America, Lori Drew, is indicted. Been keeping an eye on this case since it first broke. This will set a precedant.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 02:40:04 PM »
About freaking time!!!!!!!!! YAY to an attempt at justice!!!
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Zafod Beeblebrox

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 02:49:54 PM »
my space is bullshit.
This bitch needs to be burned.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 02:54:15 PM »
my space is bullshit.

I have MySpace and Facebook. I prefer Facebook anyways. Lori Drew is a scumbag. She is the most hated person right now. You know like Fred Phelps, David Cash Jr., Michael Crook, and Madalyn Murray O'Hair. She is in league with all those evil  :censored: like Burmese Military Junta, Osama bin Laden, Seung-Hui Cho, and Robert Hansen. Also, anyone who blames to Meiers are  :censored: ups in their pathetic head. They need to get a huge dose of x-ray on their body to see if they have a brain and spine. They too deserve to rot in Hell with the Drews and Grills and all those evil  :censored: that history has seen.  :bird:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 04:01:45 PM by Ptarmigan »
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline lastparker

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 03:22:13 PM »
Woo Hoo!!!!  I just ran over here to post this, but you fine people beat me to it.

May she become every inmate's "girlfriend".
Cursing is the crutch of the inarticulate mother****er, DUmmies.   -NHSparky

Deadbeats eating mushroom duxelles and dandelion salad with a shallot vinaigrette are still deadbeats.    -GOBUCKS

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 03:30:39 PM »
Woo Hoo!!!!  I just ran over here to post this, but you fine people beat me to it.

May she become every inmate's "girlfriend".

She won't last too long in prison. They don't look too kindly to people like her. She is already hated in America. Think about prison.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 03:40:22 PM »
I regret to say I don't feel like celebrating.  Yes, the woman is scum and deserves whatever happens to her, but I am not please with federal charges being brought in this case. 

"Conspiracy" is almost as broad a category as "mail fraud" in its ability to be used against anyone for just about any reason just because no other laws apply.  The other three counts are about as dubious.

If the state could not find charges to bring, that should have been the end of it.  Living with a certain amount of injustice should be one of the trade-offs we live with to insure our freedom from the threat of an overreaching federal arm of the law.   

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 04:14:25 PM »
my space is bullshit.

I have MySpace and Facebook. I prefer Facebook anyways. Lori Drew is a scumbag. She is the most hated person right now. You know like Fred Phelps, David Cash Jr., Michael Crook, and Madalyn Murray O'Hair. She is in league with all those evil  :censored: like Burmese Military Junta, Osama bin Laden, Seung-Hui Cho, and Robert Hansen. Also, anyone who blames to Meiers are  :censored: ups in their pathetic head. They need to get a huge dose of x-ray on their body to see if they have a brain and spine. They too deserve to rot in Hell with the Drews and Grills and all those evil  :censored: that history has seen.  :bird:

I heard on MySpace that Lori Drew raised rabbits as pets too!
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 04:42:57 PM »
Remember everyone. It will not matter what justice we bring to Lori Drew. Because GOD will settle her account when the time comes and he probably will not be too keen on what she did in her life that lead up to her taunting a kid into hanging herself. All other punisments would pale anyway.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 05:02:40 PM »

I heard on MySpace that Lori Drew raised rabbits as pets too!

That does not surprise me one bit.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Bluesuiter-Retired

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 03:42:05 AM »
I'm still at a loss as to why the Missouri attorney general opted to not indict this moron when it first happened.
America - Love It, or LEAVE

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 06:36:30 AM »
Is her daughter charged too or did the little 'angel' just get herself in under the minor wire when this happened? If she's 19 then she was probably just shy of 18 when this happened. She sounds like another delight in the making since I don't buy her mother sent all or even most of the messages, yet she's all to happy to sell her mom down the river to get her a$$ off the hook I bet--wonder where she learned that from?

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 05:08:45 PM »
Is her daughter charged too or did the little 'angel' just get herself in under the minor wire when this happened? If she's 19 then she was probably just shy of 18 when this happened. She sounds like another delight in the making since I don't buy her mother sent all or even most of the messages, yet she's all to happy to sell her mom down the river to get her a$$ off the hook I bet--wonder where she learned that from?

Only Lori Drew is charged. Her daughter Sarah does not even live with Lori. Ashley Grills is not charged either, but will testify against her.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du