Author Topic: Obama pitchs $52M plan to regulate oil markets  (Read 2026 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
Obama pitchs $52M plan to regulate oil markets
« on: April 17, 2012, 01:08:09 PM »

President Obama on Tuesday urged Congress to help strengthen federal supervision of international oil markets, amid pressure from U.S. voters to take action on rising gasoline prices.

The president wants Congress to increase penalties for market manipulation and empower regulators to increase the amount of money energy traders are required to put behind their transactions.

"Congress should do all of this right away," the president said Tuesday during a White House speech in the Rose Garden.

Obama said the plan would put "more cops on the street" to catch speculators who attempt to manipulate markets for their own profit. He also chastised Congress for recently voting against ending tax breaks to U.S. oil companies and said passing his proposal would help members redeem themselves.
Still, the president acknowledged such efforts "will not bring down gas prices overnight."

The plan is more likely to draw sharp election-year distinctions with Republicans than have an immediate effect on prices at the pump. The measures seek to boost spending for Wall Street enforcement at a time when congressional Republicans are seeking to limit the reach of federal financial regulations.
Obama was joined Tuesday by Attorney General Eric Holder in spelling out his $52 million proposal.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/04/17/obama-to-pitch-52m-plan-to-regulate-oil-markets/#ixzz1sK30znEy
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline Kyle Ricky

Re: Obama pitchs $52M plan to regulate oil markets
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 01:13:45 PM »
Whatever happen to only allowing people who will actually use the oil trade said oil?

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 02:41:49 PM »
Whatever happen to only allowing people who will actually use the oil trade said oil?

He couldn't get it convoluted enough.

I'll lay 50-to-1 odds that if this turd is ever actually implemented, the actual costs will be closer to the neighbor hood of 10x to 100x the bullshit figure he cited.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 03:01:15 PM »

I'll lay 50-to-1 odds that if this turd is ever actually implemented, the actual costs will be closer to the neighbor hood of 10x to 100x the bullshit figure he cited.

And it will still fail to help curtail manipulation that they claim happens.

Offline DefiantSix

• Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 03:14:38 PM »
And it will still fail to help curtail manipulation that they claim happens.

Tru dat. :cheers1:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 03:49:12 PM »
He also chastised Congress for recently voting against ending tax breaks to U.S. oil companies and said passing his proposal would help members redeem themselves.

Allow me to express what the Republicans in Congress may not have the balls to say themselves:  Go **** yourself, barky.

Who the hell is the petty, little man to grant "redemption"? 
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

John C Calhoun, "Disquisition on Government", 1840

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 05:50:19 PM »
IOW, he's like the DUmmies--he just needs another $10 and 24 business hours to nationalize the oil industries.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 06:15:14 PM »
Obama knows darn well this will never get thru congress. But the media will run with it like its a new found Gospel.
The end result? a diversion from Obama's failed energy policies. He doesn't want the blame for gas prices.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 06:16:36 PM »
Again proving libs know nor care nothing about basic economics.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 07:53:14 PM »

ulrelated to the actual topic here but that is one smug looking bastard.  Lets make sure he looses that smug mug next November.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline DefiantSix

• Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 07:59:02 PM »
ulrelated to the actual topic here but that is one smug looking bastard.  Lets make sure he looses that smug mug next November.

I'd like to see if we couldn't do it by the Convention.  That way, he'd need an SR-71 flight to Iran via France in order to have any chance of saving his re-emaculation.
-- Capt. John Parker

-- Capt. Steve Rogers

-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline thundley4

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 08:22:16 PM »

Are those all his children by different baby mommas?

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 08:26:26 PM »

They all look like him and Moochelle. :fuelfire: :loser:

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 08:29:13 PM »
little trayvons and trayvonnettes
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline DefiantSix

• Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 12:14:38 AM »
Personally, I love all the constitutional aspects of creating a new government agency by dictatorial fiat whose express purpose is to strong-arm, demagogue and extort a significant and critical segment of the private sector, asking not a single word of advise or consent from the legislative branch on the subject, and then just demanding that that self same executive branch just meekly pony up the money for the hypothetical operations of said agency of dubious constitutionality.

What could go wrong???  :popcorn:
-- Capt. John Parker

-- Capt. Steve Rogers

-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 04:37:55 AM »

It's a proven fact every time this big-eared buffoon opens his mouth, it ends up costing US money.   :argh:
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline Karin

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 07:19:35 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the oil market a global market?  How can he control and regulate what goes on in Hong Kong, Tokyo, London? 

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 08:07:28 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the oil market a global market?  How can he control and regulate what goes on in Hong Kong, Tokyo, London? 

Shhh, don't confuse this argument with their argument against drilling, ya know, that old "won't make a difference in the price on the global market".

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
There you go again using traditional (conservative) logic to explain liberal behavior.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.