Author Topic: Need ideas  (Read 3522 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Need ideas
« on: April 11, 2012, 03:15:06 PM »
What should I put on my huge kitchen island?  Also, should we have the cabinet builder add wood on the end of the island? Or would you do something else?  I don't really like it sheetrocked.

Offline CG6468

Re: Need ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 03:21:42 PM »
I think it looks good as it is. The more plain the better for me.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Zeus

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 03:22:51 PM »
I'd just paint the Island ends with rags to simulate the wood grain and color of the fronts.

put a big ass lazy Susan on the Island equipped with the utensils and spices and the such that you use the most .

just my .02.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 03:29:50 PM »
I'd just paint the Island ends with rags to simulate the wood grain and color of the fronts.

put a big ass lazy Susan on the Island equipped with the utensils and spices and the such that you use the most .

just my .02.

I literally couldn't reach them unless I were on my tiptoes with my upper body practically laying on top of it. It is that big. I want something pretty to look at that I only have to touch when I'm cleaning it off.

I thought about doing some sort of wainscotting (not beadboard) on the ends. Either with the same wood (hickory, the stain is called Verona) or painting it the same color as the trim or whatever color I end up painting the wall. I'm sure it won't be cheap having the cabinet people do it. We saw a new house in our neighborhood where the island had the same wood as the cabinets on the end with basically a door panel on the end. It was a smaller island but it looked pretty good.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 03:32:38 PM »
I think it looks good as it is. The more plain the better for me.

I don't like crap on my counters either but main it looks kind of odd with nothing on it at all.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 03:34:05 PM »
Your kitchen looks like the one in my mom's house, but I don't think her island is quite as palatial.

She keeps a bowl of fruit and a box of tissues on it.  And mail.  Lots of mail.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 03:44:45 PM »
Your kitchen looks like the one in my mom's house, but I don't think her island is quite as palatial.

She keeps a bowl of fruit and a box of tissues on it.  And mail.  Lots of mail.

My mother-in-law has her counters covered in crap but when I'm there I don't notice it too much (except when I first walk in, it kind of overwhelms me) but when we take pictures it looks almost like a hoarder lives there.  She has a large lazy susan like Zeus suggested with every possible utinsel in several canisters plus candles and other crap on her island (her cook top is in her island). She also has an overhead hanging pot rack over her island and her kitchen is on the small side.  Her other counters have not one inch not covered with either an appliance, canister or just plain crap.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 03:46:58 PM by BEG »

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 03:53:51 PM »
You could do a huge apothecary jar and put just about anything in it.

love these
http://www.blog.houseofhargrove.com/2010/05/apothecary-jars.html

There is some really cool stuff here at Pottery Barn
http://www.potterybarn.com/shop/accessories-decor/vases/vases-urns/?cm_type=lnav
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 03:56:28 PM »
You could do a huge apothecary jar and put just about anything in it.

love these
http://www.blog.houseofhargrove.com/2010/05/apothecary-jars.html

There is some really cool stuff here at Pottery Barn
http://www.potterybarn.com/shop/accessories-decor/vases/vases-urns/?cm_type=lnav

Good ideas Dix. Thanks!

Offline Zeus

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 04:19:32 PM »
I literally couldn't reach them unless I were on my tiptoes with my upper body practically laying on top of it. It is that big. I want something pretty to look at that I only have to touch when I'm cleaning it off.

What are you four foot tall  ::)

If the Island is that big put a big ol fake plant on it as a center piece. The apothecary jar sounds like a good one too.

Put an electric train set on the island with flatbeds for the utensils and spices  :-)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 04:21:57 PM by Zeus »
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 04:34:15 PM »
What are you four foot tall  ::)

If the Island is that big put a big ol fake plant on it as a center piece. The apothecary jar sounds like a good one too.

No, I'm 5'7". I went and measured it, it's about 70" wide. I decided to see if I could reach the middle. I could, by laying my upper body over the top but I didn't have to stand on my tiptoes so you win there.   :whatever:

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 04:42:25 PM »
I literally couldn't reach them unless I were on my tiptoes with my upper body practically laying on top of it. It is that big.

Pics?  Just so we can see the.......ummm...issue.   O-)
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 09:00:22 PM »
So I was thinking about what to put on my island as I was fixing dinner when I remembered I had these glass candle holders that you put something in the bottom of.  I got them at Kirkland's 50% off (they were originally only $29 for all three) when I was still living in Dallas with my mom.  I had never even opened them.

Now I just need to figure out something unique to put in the bottom and what color candles to put in them.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 09:11:23 PM »
I thought I would show you some of my other finds I found at Hobby Lobby this weekend while I was in Dallas. Again 50%. I hardly ever pay full price for anything.

I had no idea where I was going to put these but I liked them.  I don't know what you would call them, they look like game pieces to me.

Look at my cute red owl. I don't know if I'm going to leave him there or not.

I also got a blue chicken that is similar (with warn off paint). I stuck it on top of my cabinets but it is lonely up there as I haven't put anything else up there. It looks kinda stupid up there all alone.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 09:24:26 PM »
Go to the grocery store, and buy the cheapest coffee you can find, whole bean.  Put them in the bottom of your glass candle jars, and then set some candles in them.  You could go off white, or colors, to match those nifty toy thingys. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 10:13:07 PM »
Go to the grocery store, and buy the cheapest coffee you can find, whole bean.  Put them in the bottom of your glass candle jars, and then set some candles in them.  You could go off white, or colors, to match those nifty toy thingys. 

Oh what an awesome idea. You are the bestest!

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 06:05:54 AM »
Oh what an awesome idea. You are the bestest!

Also, in your frogs, you could use them as picture holders.   :-)
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 09:55:38 AM »
Heck use Iassa's idea and use Red Kidney beans..etc..

You southern gals sure like a lot of "stuff" around the house. My wife would go insane just THINKING about all the dusting... :panic:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 11:51:53 AM »
Heck use Iassa's idea and use Red Kidney beans..etc..

You southern gals sure like a lot of "stuff" around the house. My wife would go insane just THINKING about all the dusting... :panic:

I was thinking of putting dried peas, kidney beans and some or died bean in them. My husband's mom has a bean bin at the end of her island. Kind of like they used to have in grocery stores back in the day. It looks really cool. But then again, coffee would smell so good....

To dust I would dump out the beans/coffee every week or so and stick them in the dishwasher. I do that with glass crap I have laying around. I do it with my light fixtures in my bathrooms too.

Offline sisyphus

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2012, 09:24:16 PM »
What should I put on my huge kitchen island?  Also, should we have the cabinet builder add wood on the end of the island? Or would you do something else?  I don't really like it sheetrocked.

Judging from the pics, I would install a two rail pan rack overhead, and leave the island clear of clutter.
IMO, the island needs no additions.
Sum Ergo Cogito
I am, therefore I think