Author Topic: License Plate With Cross Likely Will Not Move Forward  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
License Plate With Cross Likely Will Not Move Forward
« on: April 30, 2008, 07:30:20 AM »
License Plate With Cross Likely Will Not Move Forward

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- A license plate that would have become the first in the nation to prominently feature a religious symbol is unlikely to be on the road any time soon after state lawmakers did not include it in a bill Tuesday.

The plate, which included an image of a Christian cross, stained-glass window and the words "I Believe," is not in legislation passed late Tuesday that's now headed to the governor.

Opponents of the plate said approving it would result in a court challenge because it violated the separation of church and state and gave the appearance the state was endorsing a particular religious preference.

Supporters countered that not approving it could also result in a lawsuit.

Republican Sen. Ronda Storms, a plate proponent, said the state had created a "public forum" by allowing a variety of license plate designs with different messages. Restricting speech in that forum was also unconstitutional, Storms said.

One vocal opponent of the plate, Democratic Leader Dan Gelber, said he did not think the plate was likely to pass in the remaining days of the session after lawmakers passed the bill without the "I Believe" plate.

It could still be amended onto another bill, but the prospects of that were increasingly unlikely with few bills available on the Legislature's calendar to which it could be added.

The South Carolina legislature is also considering the same license plate, however, and it won key approval in the state Senate there Tuesday.

MORE

Permitting religioin does not equal promoting religion, DUmmies.   :whatever:

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Re: License Plate With Cross Likely Will Not Move Forward
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 08:42:33 AM »

this is more representative of the separation of sense and state.  in forida, I saw car tags with manatees on them. :whatever:

Offline Wretched Excess

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 11:11:33 AM »
Soccer has become a religion around here.  Saturday mornings are grid-locked within a mile of any soccer field in the county.   :banghead:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 11:15:12 AM »
Soccer has become a religion around here.  Saturday mornings are grid-locked within a mile of any soccer field in the county.   :banghead:
Don't get me stared on soccer. :banghead:  Commie, anti American bullshit sport. :hammer:
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 11:23:09 AM »

I just used soccer as an example.  FL must offer a hundred different specialty tags, all more or less insignificant or irrelevant.  I seriously doubt that the republic will crumble if a few hundred thousand floridians have a cross on their tag.

and it's just retarded business;  they are literally walking away from a mountain of increased government revenue (not that I am an advocate of enriching gov't for anything, ever).

but you are right, it is a commie sport. :-)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:26:51 AM by Wretched Excess »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 11:28:26 AM »
Don't get me stared on soccer. :banghead:  Commie, anti American bullshit sport. :hammer:
You left out "mind-numbingly boring to watch."  Soccer will never catch on in the USA. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 11:29:49 AM »

I just used soccer as an example.  FL must offer a hundred different specialty tags, all more or less insignificant or irrelevant.  I seriously doubt that the republic will crumble if a few hundred thousand floridians have a cross on their tag.

and it's just retarded business;  they are literally walking away from a mountain of increased government revenue (not that I am an advocate of enriching gov't for anything, ever).
At least we have a choice about paying the gub-mit more money.  It took quite a few years to get this one here in TN...

...and the Moonbats are still complaining.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 11:30:20 AM »
You left out "mind-numbingly boring to watch."  Soccer will never catch on in the USA. 
But it has "global appeal".  Who gives a shit about the globe, outside the U.S.?  The only kids playing soccer in the U.S. are the ones that are to small to play any other sport, and the ones with ADD so they can run themselves down before bedtime.  **** Soccer.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 11:34:11 AM »

At least we have a choice about paying the gub-mit more money.  It took quite a few years to get this one here in TN...

...and the Moonbats are still complaining.

now there is a specialty tag I would gladly pay for. :wink:

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 11:36:53 AM »

List of Florida specialty tags that ARE acceptable

soccer is okay, too.

Why not leave the space there in the middle blank and encourage people to put their choice of non-profane image sticker there?  The state would not be endorsing anything.  People could be encouraged to get corporation, say Coca-Cola, to pay for their auto registration in exchange for driving around with a Coke bottle sticker on their license plate.  

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 11:37:40 AM »
But it has "global appeal".  Who gives a shit about the globe, outside the U.S.?  The only kids playing soccer in the U.S. are the ones that are to small to play any other sport, and the ones with ADD so they can run themselves down before bedtime.  **** Soccer.

it's a third world sport.  all you need is a ball.  failing that, you can play it with a largish wad of paper . . . or very small rocks. :-)

and it's a silly game that doesn't even know when it is supposed to end.  after time is expired, they are all still running around playing kick ball for some unknown period of time that only one guy on the field with a stopwatch knows what is.  where si the drama or the definition in that?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 11:39:33 AM »
But it has "global appeal".  Who gives a shit about the globe, outside the U.S.?  The only kids playing soccer in the U.S. are the ones that are to small to play any other sport, and the ones with ADD so they can run themselves down before bedtime.  **** Soccer.

it's a third world sport.  all you need is a ball.  failing that, you can play it with a largish wad of paper . . . or very small rocks. :-)

and it's a silly game that doesn't even know when it is supposed to end.  after time is expired, they are all still running around playing kick ball for some unknown period of time that only one guy on the field with a stopwatch knows what is.  where si the drama or the definition in that?

DUmmie soccer players cannot touch balls with their hands.   :evillaugh:

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 11:51:59 AM »

List of Florida specialty tags that ARE acceptable

soccer is okay, too.

Why not leave the space there in the middle blank and encourage people to put their choice of non-profane image sticker there?  The state would not be endorsing anything.  People could be encouraged to get corporation, say Coca-Cola, to pay for their auto registration in exchange for driving around with a Coke bottle sticker on their license plate.  
We could eliminate all registration fees, and just sell ad space on tags.  I have been preaching the same thing for postage for years, but never thought about it for tags.  How much do you think Nike would pay to have a swoosh on every letter mailed out and every car tag you see?