Author Topic: Chinese children sold like 'cabbage' into slavery  (Read 852 times)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Chinese children sold like 'cabbage' into slavery
« on: April 29, 2008, 09:25:17 AM »
BEIJING (Reuters) - Thousands of children in southwest China have been sold into slavery like "cabbages", to work as labourers in more prosperous areas such as the booming southern province of Guangdong, a newspaper said on Tuesday.

China announced a nationwide crackdown on slavery and child labor last year after reports that hundreds of poor farmers, children and mentally disabled were forced to work in kilns and mines in Shanxi province and neighboring Henan.

"The bustling child labor market (in Sichuan province) was set up by the local chief foreman and his gang of 18 minor foremen, who each manage 50 to 100 child labourers," the Southern Metropolis Newspaper said.

"The children generally fall between the ages of 13 and 15, but many look under 10," it added.

The newspaper said 76 children from the same county, Liangshan, had been missing since the Chinese Lunar Year festival in February, 42 of whom had already left the region to work.

"The youngest kids found in the child labor market were only seven and nine years old," it said.

According to a contract exposed by an undercover reporter, a child laborer is paid 3.5 yuan ($0.50) an hour and must work at least 300 hours a month.

"These kids are robust and can do the toughest work," a foreman was quoted as saying, as he pulled a scrawny girl to stand beside him, the paper said.

Xinhua news agency said the county government had sent officials to rescue the children, but some were unwilling to leave, having been sold into slavery by their parents or volunteering to work themselves.

($1=7.002 Yuan)
http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSPEK27749620080429?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews&rpc=22&sp=true
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Chinese children sold like 'cabbage' into slavery
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 09:48:31 AM »
How are they slaves if they are being paid?  How about calling them a "captive workforce"? 

Seriously, this is a terrible story.  These young victims of communism have no life.  Their existence is almost as miserable and meaningless as that of girls and women living under islamic rule.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 10:11:26 AM »
Yet the DUmmies have other priorities *eyeroll*
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 10:26:38 AM »
Yet the DUmmies have other priorities *eyeroll*
Yeah, let's apologize to the descendants of people who were slaves 150 yrs. ago.  Don't look at the current liberal paradise of communism and their practices of TODAY.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 10:38:06 AM »
I'll bet these "Cabbage Kids" scare the hell out of those DUmmys.  :-)
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄