Author Topic: Vanity Fair: yay pedophilia!  (Read 3475 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Vanity Fair: yay pedophilia!
« on: April 27, 2008, 08:48:57 PM »
Pop star and 15-year-old Disney sensation MILEY CYRUS tells ET she's "embarrassed" about an upcoming photograph of her appearing semi-topless in the new Vanity Fair magazine issue.

"I took part in a photo shoot that was supposed to be 'artistic' and now, seeing the photographs and reading the story, I feel so embarrassed," she tells ET. "I never intended for any of this to happen and I apologize to my fans who I care so deeply about."

The photo, on stands next week, accompanies an interview with Miley and her dad, BILLY RAY,  and were shot by famed photographer ANNIE LEIBOVITZ. As seen on our show promo last week, they show Miley sitting in profile with just a blanket wrapped around her chest.

Vanity Fair editors respond: "Miley's parents and/or minders were on the set all day. Since the photo was taken digitally, they saw it on the shoot and everyone thought it was a beautiful and natural portrait of Miley. In fact, when BRUCE HANDY interviewed Miley, he asked her about the photo and she was very cheerful about it and thought it was perfectly fine."

However, a Disney Channel spokesperson says: "Unfortunately, as the article suggests, a situation was created to deliberately manipulate a 15-year-old in order to sell magazines."
http://www.etonline.com/news/2008/04/61009/index.html
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Vanity Fair: yay pedophilia!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 08:52:11 PM »
That picture at the link is weird too.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 04:18:39 AM »
That picture at the link is weird too.

15 going on 30

We've all seen this stuff before. In a few years we can expect the *oopsie* sex tape showcasing her "talents".

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 05:44:00 AM »
http://thebosh.com/bfu.php?image_url=http://thebosh.com/upload/2008/04/28/behind_the_scenes_pictures_miley_cyrus_topless_for_vanity_fair/Miley%20Cyrus%20%20Topless%20%20For%20Vanity%20Fair.jpg

For those jumping to conclusions on her parents intentions--that link has several scenes from the photo shoot. What should be at issue is Vanity Fair's selection of that photograph. As a photographer you sometimes get shots that you would not use of someone because of the sheer number of photographs that are taken. This was an issue of discretion by both Leibowitz and Vanity Fair to pic the photo that was most seductively shot, even if that was not how Cyrus was posing(I liken it to us taking senior pictures and the girl has headlights through her tanktop and we deliberately pic that photo to send to the school for her senior picture with the headlights enhanced). Also at issue is that it apparently is doctored to look even more seductive. Both the photographer and the editors at VF should be ashamed of themselves. A 15 year old should not have to apologize for the actions of adults imo.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 05:45:36 AM by jtyangel »

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 06:31:10 AM »
It's not even close to paedophilia, long-ears, it's just an inappropriate display of jail-bait.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 06:47:35 AM »
It's not even close to paedophilia, long-ears, it's just an inappropriate display of jail-bait.
It's hard to conjure a different term for the deliberate sexualization of a child.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 06:56:14 AM »
It's hard to conjure a different term for the deliberate sexualization of a child.

But I think we have to be careful with laying blame at the child's feet and it looked like at least one person wanted to lean that way. From what I could see, it was the deliberate manipulation  and choice of the photo after that was the issue. Those decisions were made by ADULTS!

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 07:04:07 AM »

But I think we have to be careful with laying blame at the child's feet and it looked like at least one person wanted to lean that way. From what I could see, it was the deliberate manipulation  and choice of the photo after that was the issue. Those decisions were made by ADULTS!
I've never blamed a child for their exploitation by adults.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 07:20:42 AM »

No you shouldn't blame the child she is a minor! Her achey-breaky father on the other hand should be horse whipped for allowing his child to be used as whacking material for any pervert into adolescent children.
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 07:25:03 AM »

No you shouldn't blame the child she is a minor! Her achey-breaky father on the other hand should be horse whipped for allowing his child to be used as whacking material for any pervert into adolescent children.

Toast, I doubt he manipulated the final product and a lot can be manipulated between approval of the image and its final print in a magazine. If he approved it in that state, then yes, he is included in there. Either way, if anyone has bothered to read the stories it is the 15 year old Miley who is apologizing for it and it is the same teenager who is taking shitty comments and heat for it. That is just not right.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 09:00:24 AM »
photographer ANNIE LEIBOVITZ - there's your first clue that this would not end well. She's not exactly known for falling into line with Disney approved corporate style publicity. The woman insulted the Queen of England for crying out loud.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 09:10:17 AM »
photographer ANNIE LEIBOVITZ - there's your first clue that this would not end well. She's not exactly known for falling into line with Disney approved corporate style publicity. The woman insulted the Queen of England for crying out loud.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, Dixie.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 09:11:38 AM »
Gotta say I'm surprised on this one. My kids are big fans, and it seemed like these guys had their heads screwed on straight.

Of course, you know there are millions out there just DYING for her to turn into the next Britney or whomever the latest fallen kid is.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline jendf

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 10:36:28 AM »
The blame should be laid at the parents' feet alone. Not at Miley's feet and not Vanity Fair's feet. At some point, this girl was told to take off her top and wrap a blanket seductively around herself. I don't care if they photographer called them "artistic" or not. The girl had her top off. Alarm bells should have gone off in her parents' head. They could have put an end to the shoot.

But me thinks the alarm bells couldn't be heard over the loud cha-ching of the overflowing bank accounts created by their daughter's fame.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 10:41:31 AM by jendf »

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 10:48:06 AM »
On another site, they show photos of her during the actual shoot. The sheet is clearly wrapped all the way around her and comes up under her armpits. Are they alleging that the photographer/magazine later digitally manipulated the photo to make the sheet disappear and expose more of her? Because that would be a problem if I were her mother.

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline jendf

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 10:57:43 AM »
On another site, they show photos of her during the actual shoot. The sheet is clearly wrapped all the way around her and comes up under her armpits. Are they alleging that the photographer/magazine later digitally manipulated the photo to make the sheet disappear and expose more of her? Because that would be a problem if I were her mother.

I don't even think that is the issue. The issue is her parents saw nothing wrong with their 15-year-old daughter wrapped in a bed sheet for a photo shoot. Covered or not, she's in a freaking bed sheet! What did they expect the pics to look like? It looks like a 15-year-old girl just took a roll in the hay. They knew better but didn't care. They are making too much money off of her.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 11:13:31 AM »

Thanks for pulling that over Dixie..I posted the link..not sure if anyone else went and looked. I can't help but wonder if that is the allegation. The photo is clearly manipulated though in other ways like coloring and lighting and even some changes to Miley's face that I think actually make her look more childish. She's gripping that thing for dear life so I'm not so sure unless it slipped and a photo was caught that she was doing that purposely. I think before anyone is castigated, a timeline of events and what was approved or not should be considered. I'm not ready to lambast her parents--Vanity Fair and a photographer taking 'artistic license' would not surprise me however.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 11:15:01 AM »

I don't even think that is the issue. The issue is her parents saw nothing wrong with their 15-year-old daughter wrapped in a bed sheet for a photo shoot. Covered or not, she's in a freaking bed sheet! What did they expect the pics to look like? It looks like a 15-year-old girl just took a roll in the hay. They knew better but didn't care. They are making too much money off of her.

I guess I'm naive since the pre-manipulated shots look like nothing of the sort and I'm an actual parent. *shrug*

Offline jendf

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 11:18:44 AM »
I guess I'm naive since the pre-manipulated shots look like nothing of the sort and I'm an actual parent. *shrug*

Would you allow your daughter(s) to pose in a bed sheet the way Miley is posed in that one? Not the cover, but the shot in Dixie's post?

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 11:23:17 AM »
I think she's just embarrased that people are upset about it. She'd be proud of it if people approved.
By the way, what is "semi-topless"? One boob hangin' out?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2008, 11:26:13 AM »
In all fairness, the "sheet" in question doesn't look suggestive to me at all. And here's why: photo shoots often employ unconventional props to acheive a final look. Even at those Glamour Shot studios in the mall they use "sheets" of fabric to wrap you in. But, when the photo is finished, you only see the person from waist up (or even higher) and it just looks like an outfit, not a sheet.

It's entirely possible that some of the photos taken and displayed as "proofs" for the family appeared a lot more innocent than the final product. And, photo shoots generate tons of pictures. They may not have seen all of them. Bottom line: I'm not ready to condemn the family just yet.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2008, 12:57:59 PM »

And Vanity Fair! I can't even read it anymore. I understand women's magazines are run by lefties...even the "fashion" ones. I fully expect every issue of Vogue or Elle are going to have the obligatory left-leaning articles and barely 15, half naked models. But Vanity Fair has become an Al Gore love-fest and a Mother Jones wanna be with a couple of Verace ads thrown in.

Cinidie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2008, 12:59:25 PM »

Dude, try looking up the word in some actual psychological literature on it.  It does not mean what you seem to think it does.  The fact that a teenage girl is below the age of sexual consent, which is not uniform from state to state, does not render her the object or victim of paedophilia if someone older looks at her tits.  Not that it speaks too well of the looker, of course.
Paedophilia is an attraction to a LACK of adult sexual characteristics and has nothing to do with the question of whether someone's birthday (16th or 18th depending on the state, mostly) was yesterday or tomorrow.  Having sex with someone under the age of consent by one day, or one month, or one year is illegal as Hell, and constitutes the offense of rape in the common law, but it's got Jack to do with paedophilia.  There's a better argument to say guys who like shaved beaver are paedophiles than in anything connected with those photos (and I find that shaving thing kinda creepy for that reason, myself).
Wild accusations with loaded words, used in an obviously-wrong way, destroy the credibility of what you're trying to say, leave that shit to Rev. Wright, he's better at playing the crazy stuff than you are.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2008, 01:54:55 PM »
The blame should be laid at the parents' feet alone. Not at Miley's feet and not Vanity Fair's feet. At some point, this girl was told to take off her top and wrap a blanket seductively around herself. I don't care if they photographer called them "artistic" or not. The girl had her top off. Alarm bells should have gone off in her parents' head. They could have put an end to the shoot.

But me thinks the alarm bells couldn't be heard over the loud cha-ching of the overflowing bank accounts created by their daughter's fame.

The only problem is the contracts were already signed and the photo shoot still had to go on. However the family of miley should have had some control over which pictures could be taken. I;'m still wondering why the police are not asking questions as to how this happened though?
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Lauri

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2008, 02:00:53 PM »

you'd have to understand the context of VF and their editors. Gradyon Carter is a hyperactive anti-Bush, religion hating leftie of the highest order, with lots and lots of money.

anything Graydon Carter could do to undermine wholesomeness in this country he will do. the fact that Miley Cyrus came out recently and said she is 'for Jesus' probably just put a huge target on her back. he had to knock herr down as fast as possible since she has so much influence now..