Author Topic: Reglaze or replace?  (Read 2607 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Reglaze or replace?
« on: January 18, 2010, 12:30:51 PM »
The house we bought when we moved to California was built in 1949. There was an addition built in 2001. The only room that needs a total overhaul is what use to be the main bathroom. Actually it is the most used bathroom by guests.  It had a minor update in the early 90's. Lovely mauve/gray accent tiles with white tiles being the main color tiles. Then floor tiles with what looks like a fine mist of mauve. Totally ugly.

The original sink and cabinet are still there (with white tile surrounding the sink and that ugly accent tile). The bathtub has to have been reglazed at some point and is in terrible shape.  The sink is gray (the original color) and the tub is white but the finish looks absolutely terrible. It is also extremely rough. I would love to be able to save the tub because it has that retro look and it is deeper than the average tub you buy today. We plan on using white subway tile, hexagon tile for the floor and a cool retro console sink. I want to be able to save money where we can yet I don't want to put all this money into the bathroom, have the tub reglazed only for it to look like crap and have the finish not hold up.

So anyone out there that has either had their tub reglazed or anyone familiar with the process?  If we had to replace the tub at a later date it would screw up the tile work on the wall and floor. There is no way to clean the tub as it seems the soap scum and crap are etched into the tub. No one uses the bathroom except to use the toilet or wash their hands as the tub is that gross.   

Offline bkg

Re: Reglaze or replace?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 12:34:19 PM »
Back in 2002, my sister, my ex-wife and I paid to have my mom's bathroom remodeled. Well... everything except the 1976 baby-blue tub. She had it reglazed and is very happy with it. Still looks good. But... talk to glazers and be sure that the "roughness" isn't an issue. I think Mom paid as much for the glazing as a new tub would have cost... minus install and tile work.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 12:45:06 PM »
If you never use the tub, and there is more than one other one in the house....take it out and put in a nice tiled shower if there's a bedroom on the main floor other than yours....or put in pretty floor to ceiling cabinets.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 12:48:46 PM »
I had some friends who reglazed theirs, in order to sell, because they were 80's beige.  They looked nice enough, but the smell was horrific.  Make sure if you do this, that you have a nice day, that you can air out your house at the same time.  As for the longevity....I have lived in apartments that have had reglazed tubs, and they were fine. 

R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline bkg

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 12:49:34 PM »
If you never use the tub, and there is more than one other one in the house....take it out and put in a nice tiled shower if there's a bedroom on the main floor other than yours....or put in pretty floor to ceiling cabinets.

That's counter intuitive to everythign I've learned about realestate... explain yerself! :confused:

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 01:08:15 PM »
That's counter intuitive to everythign I've learned about realestate... explain yerself! :confused:

People want bathtubs in the "hall" bath for their kids. Most today, past a certain price bracket, want at the least a garden tub in the master, preferably a whirlpool. It's a decorating tool as much as useful.

(I have a whirlpool that I haven't been in one time in the 6 years I've lived here....but I'm not a bathtub person. I would take it out, double the already big shower and make it combo steam/rain shower/multi-jet if it wouldn't affect the value of the house ...but there isn't room for a super shower and a whirlpool unless I cut out some of my wonderful closet and that ain't happening!  :(  )

A powder room is just a place to pee....either for the residents or guests.

Unless it is also the bath for another bedroom....either connected or if there is a room on the first floor that could be a bedroom but is not attached to the bath. If there is not another bedroom on the first floor, then the tub is really insignificant....in which case a pretty tiled shower with clear glass door is nice to look at and you don't have to worry about keeping it clean. Or eliminate it altogether and do something else with the space.

My first floor is just a powder room, and our bedroom is on the first floor.

I have a full bath between two bedrooms, and a bath at the top of the stairs with a hand-held shower connected to my office. I think the previous owners only used it to bathe their dogs. I use it to wash dust off of silk plants... :-). The other bedroom has just a small shower in the bath.

It just depends on the way the house is laid out.

I am seeing where most of the newer houses are going with smaller whirlpool tubs. They are deeper and a bit longer...but are not much wider than a regular tub. The days of big elaborate whirlpools are passing, as it's too much water use and too much hot water is needed. Not only that, if they don't reheat the water, you can't soak in them long anyhow. They aren't green.... :tongue:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 02:15:29 PM »
Deb, we have four bathrooms. One (in the kitchen) has a shower, two upstairs (one masterbath with shower a sep. Tub and a small bathroom in my youngest daughters bedroom that has a shower/tub combo). My other daughters room is on the main floor next to the bathroom in question. There is enough room for cabinets on the wall with the sink. I would like for my older daughter to actually use this bathroom instead of ours (right now both kids use our shower because they like it).

here are some examples of what we want.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 03:48:24 PM »
If it's next to a bedroom, you will need to at least have a shower in it.

Might be cheaper to just gut it and start over. There are so many salvage places any more, that you should be able to find tile at a reasonable cost, even some of the fixtures, lights and faucets.

Have you checked out Ikea?

I would start looking either on line or go to some stores and start pricing things out. Also get some free estimates for reglazing....also check out their guarantees.

We have a couple of salvage places around here, for construction materials....amazing what you can find at them!

I've been looking around at hardwood prices.

Also....check with your Lowe's and Home Depot. A friend of mine that flips houses...finds all kinds of stuff that is minimally damaged, at Lowe's. Also check on Craig's list.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 04:09:40 PM »
The fourth photograph looks like the best choice; it's the way God intended bathrooms to be.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 06:21:43 PM »
The fourth photograph looks like the best choice; it's the way God intended bathrooms to be.

I really like that one too Frank. I really like the black accent tile.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 01:17:26 PM »
The original sink and cabinet are still there (with white tile surrounding the sink and that ugly accent tile). The bathtub has to have been reglazed at some point and is in terrible shape.  The sink is gray (the original color) and the tub is white but the finish looks absolutely terrible. It is also extremely rough. I would love to be able to save the tub because it has that retro look and it is deeper than the average tub you buy today. We plan on using white subway tile, hexagon tile for the floor and a cool retro console sink. I want to be able to save money where we can yet I don't want to put all this money into the bathroom, have the tub reglazed only for it to look like crap and have the finish not hold up.

I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure .....

:-)
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 02:01:45 PM »
That was my thought exactly! I love the look of that one too.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle