Author Topic: Friggen appliances and stupid repairmen  (Read 10715 times)

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
Re: Friggen appliances and stupid repairmen
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2009, 10:31:37 PM »
Not a simple fix when you are already house poor. Besides I don't think I could just get rid of perfectly good appliances. I did it in our other house but I gave my old appliances to my mom.

I switched out a perfectly good Bosch dishwasher for a Maytag.

The Bosch took 4 HOURS to do a load of dishes....the Maytag takes 2....

Sold it for $100.....probably could have gotten more, but I figured I saved the difference in the $100 for the Bosch and what the Maytag cost in less than 2 months of running the dishwasher.

The Bosch heats the water up to 240 degrees....the heat from it was damaging the cabinet it was in...dishes donot need to be washed at that high a temp.. ::)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2009, 10:38:43 AM »
The Bosch took 4 HOURS to do a load of dishes....the Maytag takes 2....

Geez......our Whirlpool will wash a load of dishes in 45 minutes.......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2009, 10:40:16 AM »
BEG, gas stove? If so, get a simmering plate. One came with the Dacor stove top we bought a few yeas ago. Perfect simmering.

I HATE smooth top units. Gas all the way.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2009, 10:48:27 AM »
Geez......our Whirlpool will wash a load of dishes in 45 minutes.......

doc

So will my GE.  And what's with the boiling water?  A steam dish cleaner?

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2009, 11:11:11 AM »

I suppose that it is to "sanitize" the dishes, and our Whirlpool has a setting that will do that as well, but we never use it........we just run it on "Regular Wash" cycle.....

When one thinks about it, for centuries we have been washing dishes in a pan (or sink) with just warm water, and some form of soap......and humanity has not died out from disease yet.....it seems silly to use the extra electricity to boil the water to wash dishes........however, if one lived in Kenya......perhaps it would make sense.

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2009, 11:17:03 AM »

I run the Maytag on "normal"....and it's 2 hrs. The "light" cycle is 86 minutes.

I was not impressed with the Bosch at all. Our house was a commercial builder's personal home, and the dishwasher was here when we bought the house.

He did some really neat things with the house....brick floors on the main level with hot water heating pipes underneath, and beautiful woodwork. But then did dumb things like our bathroom and more than half the windows are fixed windows, those that open are weird sizes without screens.  :confused:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2009, 12:13:17 PM »
BEG, gas stove? If so, get a simmering plate. One came with the Dacor stove top we bought a few yeas ago. Perfect simmering.

I HATE smooth top units. Gas all the way.

The last house I lived in up in Minnesota was a custom built house for me and my ex-wife. We had some pretty top end appliances, but not to the level of Viking. Most of them were Jenn-Air. We had the dishwasher mounted about 10inches higher than normal. This made an excellent workspace for me because I didn't have to bend over the counter to prepare food. The SS was a booger to keep clean, but a little ammonia  worked quite well.  The one thing I had installed was a Kitchen Aid cook top with a griddle in the middle. It came with a simmer plate. If you DON'T want to go out and purchase a simmer plate, you could easily use a cast iron griddle that would fit your pots that you simmer with.

similar to this:

I hated it because the griddle was next to impossible to clean and the large burners were BOTH at the rear instead of one large  and one small at the front and  one large and one rear on opposite sides from the front at the rear. Then there was the fact that I'd bump into the flame controls and inadvertently change the heat settings.

The Bosch dishwasher uses "convective drying" (meaning no heating element to complete the drying cycle) which is probably the reason the water temp was so high. Bosches are a little confusing in the way they operate. Either people love them or they hate them.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2009, 01:37:32 PM »
So a different guy came out today.  This guy had a different accent (Russian I think) and was from a different appliance repair shop but he at least opened the oven.  He was very nice and flirty for an old guy.  He had a rather thick wire (about 5 or 6 times bigger in diameter than a hanger) and slid it across the top of the door.  He is ordering a new latch but at least I can use it until he gets the part in.  I think the stinky middle eastern accented guy will repair my dishwasher when he gets the part in for it.  It took this guy like less than a minute to open the door, the stinky guy worked on the door for at least 20 minutes before deciding he couldn't fix it.  I'm not so sure I want him fixing my dishwasher.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2009, 02:41:10 PM »
So a different guy came out today.  This guy had a different accent (Russian I think) and was from a different appliance repair shop but he at least opened the oven.  He was very nice and flirty for an old guy.  He had a rather thick wire (about 5 or 6 times bigger in diameter than a hanger) and slid it across the top of the door.  He is ordering a new latch but at least I can use it until he gets the part in.  I think the stinky middle eastern accented guy will repair my dishwasher when he gets the part in for it.  It took this guy like less than a minute to open the door, the stinky guy worked on the door for at least 20 minutes before deciding he couldn't fix it.  I'm not so sure I want him fixing my dishwasher.

Tell the insurance company you don't want him back.

Tell them the oven guy fixed it in a heartbeat, after the other guy said it couldn't be fixed and ask if the oven guy come back and fix the dishwasher.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2009, 07:35:48 PM »

Tell the insurance company you don't want him back.

Tell them the oven guy fixed it in a heartbeat, after the other guy said it couldn't be fixed and ask if the oven guy come back and fix the dishwasher.

Except the stinky guy is from a different company and he already ordered the part. 

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2009, 11:37:01 PM »
Except the stinky guy is from a different company and he already ordered the part. 

You can still call....the worst thing that can happen is that you get sticky guy back....

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2009, 05:54:09 AM »

Common Beg, it is not like this stinky guy came and sat next to you in a full house movie theatre and you cannot move.

If I pay to have something fixed I do not care if they send a troll from the woods of Ireland. If they can fix my problem they can smell like an elephant in Eustace, have just one eye in the middle of their forehead and squawk like a chicken.

Put it this way Beg, say you have an auto accident and you and car are hanging off a cliff.
first cop to arrive is a hunk and smells like apple pie. He sits in his cruiser and calls for back up as he combs his hair.

Or. first cop at the scene is a 300 ponder that smell like liverworst left out on a hot day. He calls for back up then risking his own life and limbs jumps out to climb down to rescue you before you and car go over the Cliff.

Just a thought Beg,  just a thought.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2009, 01:35:08 PM »
Common Beg, it is not like this stinky guy came and sat next to you in a full house movie theatre and you cannot move.

If I pay to have something fixed I do not care if they send a troll from the woods of Ireland. If they can fix my problem they can smell like an elephant in Eustace, have just one eye in the middle of their forehead and squawk like a chicken.

Put it this way Beg, say you have an auto accident and you and car are hanging off a cliff.
first cop to arrive is a hunk and smells like apple pie. He sits in his cruiser and calls for back up as he combs his hair.

Or. first cop at the scene is a 300 ponder that smell like liverworst left out on a hot day. He calls for back up then risking his own life and limbs jumps out to climb down to rescue you before you and car go over the Cliff.

Just a thought Beg,  just a thought.

If the stinky guy could fix my oven I wouldn't care if he was stinky.  If you read my posts you would know that.  The other guy walked in and took him under a minute to open it.  He is ordering a part and will be back to fix it.  The stinky guy said (at least I think he said it because I could hardly understand him) that he couldn't fix it.  The very fact that he couldn't even get the oven open worries me about the way he will "fix" my dishwasher.  It has nothing to do with the fact that he is stinky.

Offline kenth

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2009, 07:12:49 PM »
If your car is perilously hanging from a cliff, and before it plunges due to an extra 300 pounds, do you really want the last thing to go through your mind to be the smell of hot, overripe liverwurst?  :-)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2009, 12:09:41 PM »
If your car is perilously hanging from a cliff, and before it plunges due to an extra 300 pounds, do you really want the last thing to go through your mind to be the smell of hot, overripe liverwurst?  :-)

LOL spit my coke....