Author Topic: More looking to carry  (Read 3054 times)

Offline Airwolf

More looking to carry
« on: August 05, 2009, 08:00:21 PM »
More ask to carry concealed weapons
Political, economic fears drive increase
By Emily Bazar
USA TODAY

Gun owners are packing heat in record numbers, fearful of stricter gun control under the Obama administration and higher crime in a sour economy.

Some states and counties report a surge in applications for concealed weapons permits since the November election. All states but Illinois and Wisconsin allow concealed weapons, but requirements differ.

Applications already have hit a record this year in Clay County, Mo., where the sheriff's office received 888 through June, compared with 863 in all of last year, Sheriff Bob Boydston says.

In the past, applicants tended to be middle-aged men, he says, but now include "grandmothers, older folks, young women, young men."

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20090804/1aguns04_st.art.htm
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: More looking to carry
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 09:08:14 PM »
Oh no! the peasants are arming themselves...... :ohnoes:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 09:11:43 PM »
The weapons I'm "carrying" more and more frequently aren't covered under a CCW permit.  My CCW now just covers the weapon I use to fight my way back to the weapon(s) I should never have left in the truck in the first place.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline 5412

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 10:53:25 PM »
More ask to carry concealed weapons
Political, economic fears drive increase
By Emily Bazar
USA TODAY

Gun owners are packing heat in record numbers, fearful of stricter gun control under the Obama administration and higher crime in a sour economy.

Some states and counties report a surge in applications for concealed weapons permits since the November election. All states but Illinois and Wisconsin allow concealed weapons, but requirements differ.

Applications already have hit a record this year in Clay County, Mo., where the sheriff's office received 888 through June, compared with 863 in all of last year, Sheriff Bob Boydston says.

In the past, applicants tended to be middle-aged men, he says, but now include "grandmothers, older folks, young women, young men."

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20090804/1aguns04_st.art.htm

Hi,

Since the election in FL they have had 98,000 folks take classes and apply for permits.  My wife took classes in Nov. and her permit arrived last week.

For good reason,

Offline djones520

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 10:56:12 PM »
Just my luck I happen to live in one of the only two states that don't allow the permit.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline 5412

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 11:25:20 PM »
Just my luck I happen to live in one of the only two states that don't allow the permit.

Hi,

I am in IL for the summer and they do not have a permit, nor does WI.  With your logo I suspected you live in MI.

regards,

Offline djones520

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 11:27:15 PM »
I'm stationed in Illinois.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 11:58:44 PM »
Another right that is given to us is going to be taken away soon I am afraid

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 11:59:27 PM »
Another right that is given to us is going to be taken away soon I am afraid

Only if you're willing to quietly give it up.

Offline 5412

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 02:53:42 AM »
Only if you're willing to quietly give it up.

Hi,

I agree with you.  Many states have already started digging in on this one.  Montana passed a law that said if you live in Montana and buy a gun in the state, that was manufactured in the state you are exempt from federal laws.  This is one issue where I know many folks like myself, senior citizens, who are willing to die to keep their means to protect themselves and their families.  The federal govt. can pass a law but who they gonna get to enforce it?

I think this could be like the civil war, brother against brother and it could get really ugly.

regards,

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 03:51:10 AM »
This is one issue where I know many folks like myself, senior citizens, who are willing to die to keep their means to protect themselves and their families.  The federal govt. can pass a law but who they gonna get to enforce it?

I think this could be like the civil war, brother against brother and it could get really ugly.

If the SCOTUS decides that the 2nd Amendment is a "bedrock" amendment, thus no subordinate locality (state, county, city) can put further restrictions on it, the lefties are going to go absolutely batshit.  Sonia Sotomayor on the SCOTUS shouldn't tip the balance, as she's replacing David Souter, who was a reliable liberal vote.  The SCOTUS will decide it within the next year or two, as both the 2nd and 7th Circuits ruled that the 2nd Amendment doesn't apply to subordinate localities, but the 9th Circuit ruled that the 2nd Amendment does apply to states, counties, and cities/towns.  SCOTUS has to step in and settle the ruling--and soon.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 05:03:28 AM »
If the SCOTUS decides that the 2nd Amendment is a "bedrock" amendment, thus no subordinate locality (state, county, city) can put further restrictions on it, the lefties are going to go absolutely batshit.  Sonia Sotomayor on the SCOTUS shouldn't tip the balance, as she's replacing David Souter, who was a reliable liberal vote.  The SCOTUS will decide it within the next year or two, as both the 2nd and 7th Circuits ruled that the 2nd Amendment doesn't apply to subordinate localities, but the 9th Circuit ruled that the 2nd Amendment does apply to states, counties, and cities/towns.  SCOTUS has to step in and settle the ruling--and soon.

Stop The Presses!! The 9th Circus got one right?  :clueless: :clap:

Offline thundley4

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 07:07:56 AM »
I look at it this way.  The courts have consistently ruled against state and local governments with respect to having any religious symbols on public property, based on the "Establishment clause". If the courts can apply the "Freedom of Religion" clause to states and local governments, then it follows that gun rights should supersede state and local laws.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 10:33:12 AM »
Stop The Presses!! The 9th Circus got one right?  :clueless: :clap:

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.  The 9th Circus only has an 80% overturned rate, which still leaves 20% of their rulings which are either in line with the Constitution, or so masked by the stench of the overturned rulings that the SCOTUS let it slide as "not as onerous as their usual load of crap".