Author Topic: 2002 Chevy 2500HD  (Read 2198 times)

Offline ironhorsedriver

2002 Chevy 2500HD
« on: July 01, 2009, 08:37:44 PM »
Any guess on approx. how many miles you should get out of 2500HD with 6L V-8? 2wd, auto, well maintained? I know no one can be precise, I;m trying to get a ballpark. Got a neighbor wants to sell one for 5600.00, truck is and has been kept immaculate. Problem for me is, 209,000 miles.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: 2002 Chevy 2500HD
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 10:10:53 AM »
It's getting to the range where it will need replacement. A LOT of it all hinges on how well it was maintained. It IS a Chevy, after all.  :whatever:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 10:39:05 AM »
Unless the engine smokes, I'd be more cautious about the trans. Do a "dipstick" check. Take a good look at the oil on the engine and transmission dipsticks, look for fine metallic particles in the oil. You can also rub the oil between your fingers and see if it feels "rough".
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 10:49:32 PM »
Allison 1000 transmission or Toledo 4L65-E junk? The Vortec engine design has a track record of long engine lives.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 10:07:28 AM »
Allison 1000 transmission or Toledo 4L65-E junk? The Vortec engine design has a track record of long engine lives.

A friend of mine worked as a mech for a Chevy dealer. You don't want to know how many of those were replaced while under warranty....... :o
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Tantal

• Right Wing Hardliner
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 11:36:13 PM »
That's the main issue. The Duramax had a tendency to twist 4L65-E in half. Only the Allison can stand up to the Duramax's torque. They got tired of replacing them, so the Allison is standard now to save them the grief.
Never demand that which you are incapable of taking by force, DUmmie.